1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loft Conversion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Tracey, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of converting my loft, not to use as a home cinema (not allowed), but to use as an extra bedroom/living room. As my partner is very handy at DIY we would just be getting the structural work done, steels, windows etc. We had someone come over last night and are awaiting their quote for a velux conversion or a hip to gable conversion. We are on a really tight budget, we have the money to go for the full monty but I don't want to blow it all on the loft conversion. Has anyone here had a shell conversion in the London/Essex area? I'm dying to know how much it will cost, I'm bracing myself for a shock but I'm thinking of a budget of £15k maximum, I really don't want to spend anymore than that, so if it can't be done for that money we'll have to leave it. Of course if we could get it done for £10k that would be great, think I'm being a bit optimistic though.

2. paulk

paulk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's of any help, I am in Exeter, Devon. I have had several loft conversion people around to quote. My quote varied from £18k - £25K. All said it was as straight forward as it could be. I also asked if I could have just a quote for the major construction work, steels and windows. Only one company would offier to do this @ £10K (this also included a stair case).

3. dupontin

dupontin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked at converting my loft to use as an extra bedroom/living room.
    Then rent it out.
    We had the architect around, and his work alone will cost about 750.
    We had a quote for a Dormer roof conversion with 2 velux (Semi detached 3BR house) with a hip to gable conversion.

I received multiple quotes the cheapest was 37,000 yup 37K the other quotes were for 38K, 41K and 42K, none of them included the bathroom suite, although there should be room for 1 double bedroom, one smaller single room and a small shower room/toilet
    Now the council has just made my area a conservation area, which means full planning permission is required first (3 times the original fee for a permitted development).
    The Architect said the council will refuse it on principle first, (money grubbers)
    I'll have to appeal at a cost of about 2K. so all up it'll cost me about 40K :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Be happy with 15-25K I would be !!!!!
    so I'll do this next year... after I've converted my garage to the Cinema

4. bytesize

bytesize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Had loft conversion done about two years ago .. total spent about £6,500 including lovely paddle stairs .. very nice made in Italy these were £650. Before loft was a large dark room - filled with empty boxes .. Now its my office and we also use it at times to sleep friends that stay.

Also had two Velux windows installed and pine surrounds with four doors and water tanks changed to coffin tanks ... also had lights fitting, fire alarm rigged to mains and extra power points 4 doublers ...

Love it ...

Well worth the money

5. putbinoot

putbinoot
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't know about down south but i think a ball park figure in Scotland is £1000/m2, for extension type work.

6. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Any prices of other conversions (and the builders quote for that matter) are meaningless if you have not had it (the conversion) designed to determine exactly what structural alterations are required.

A single simple brace, support or beam can easily cost £2k in time, and labour for a builder. And what the builder thinks can be done may be a few £000 different to what building control want to be done.

If you are on a budget, then a quote based on accurate [approved] design and specification is essential

7. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    i have a loft company in kent .there are two ways of doing it you can do a loft conversion or a hobby room .hobbies are cheaper and you dont need planning if you stay with the guides .. the main diffrance is that a hobby room cannot be used to sleep in and it will need a heavy duty loft ladder something like a ( colt roto) 700x1200 and i would also have a velux put in the front if possible to hinge at the top to alow for fire regs .. we do hobby rooms all the time and we have not had one over £9000 .on the other hand a full conversion you will need planning and drawings and alot more work done i.e rsj and steal beams possibly .. 90% of our customers go for the hobby rooms but when you come to sell the house its not classed as a room even tho it will look the same as a conversion but without the dorma ..

8. GSXRMovistar

GSXRMovistar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Leon, mind me asking you a quick question, what comes first, planning approval or the full plans?

I'm looking to have a conversion done (full not hobby room) on a fairly newish house (10/12 year old) but I’m wondering what I need to get done first to obtain approval.

Thanks.

9. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    hello i would get some plans done first also take a look in your street to see if others are doing what you want done to yours .. it will prolly cost from £400 to £750 for a set of plans and you could loose that money if you are rejected :thumbsdow . the problems you might have is that you have pre-stressed timbers in you roof space ( lots of 2x3 timbers in a triangle shape) this maybe will cost you abit more as you will need steal beams put in and the council usually make you have more than you need .they think you might add another 10 floors lol ..if you have not got those type of timbers then it would be cheaper i.e a bunglaow .end of terrace etc

10. GSXRMovistar

GSXRMovistar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for replying. Yeah it's a trussed roof so will be expecting that steel beams will have to be put in to replace them. Going to give the local council building services a call tomorrow and get an idea of how they feel about loft conversions for our area.

11. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A loft converted for anything but storage, even if given the title of 'hobby room' will be controlled works, and will require building control approval.

I can see the advantage in sematics of what to call it, but if you are spending any time up there then a new floor structure, insulation, heating, ventilation, and most importantly fire precautions and means of escape are all things to consider.

And your insurers will certainly be interested in this extra room and what is done in there - especially as it could affect any claim you were unfortunate enough to make in the future.

Normally, only an addition of a dormer visible from the road, or alteration of the roof shape will require planning permission. Most can be done under permitted development anyway. Most conversions can be designed to accomodate planning concerns if an application is needed, so it is rarely a waste of money. Building control plans are not rejected unless the designer is inept.

12. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67