• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Loft conversion - Telebeams

Plaverda

Hi

I'm considering doing a DIY loft conversion using Telebeams, and wondered if any has any experience of them? For those that haven't heard of them they are aluminium RSJ's that can extend because smaller RSJ's are inside them.

Thanks

Plasma Dan

I've done several loft conversions myself. I've never used beams like those. o_O

Looking online, they seems quite expensive. Unless there's a reason why you need extendible beams I'd just use two steel RSJs and wooden joists between. :smashin:

If you're doing a self-build you could do it without worrying about building regs. :suicide: This usually saves you a fair amount of money up-front, but obviously there might be an issue when it comes to selling. I've done this on my own house to save money (see attached). You can just double-up on timber joists, and reinforce with structural timber along the eaves. This also saves making a hole for steel beams / hiring a crane, and other such expenses.

Dan.

Attachments

• IMAG2398.jpg
    IMAG2398.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 686

Plaverda

Thanks for the response. I certainly wouldn't do it without building regs as it will stop us gaining when we come to sell. My reason for the Telebeams is that you can install them from the inside without having to remove the roof, because of the weight reduction. They also save about 150mm in height saving.

We've got a modern house with a 'fink' construction. But my early measurements are that we would gain two rooms that are 4 x 5.5 metres with a normal ceiling height, and with a staircase in the middle. One of the rooms would then be a dedicated cinema room, so I can finally scratch my projector itch.

My father is a builder, so I have lots of help on hand. But I like to do stuff myself.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom