Loft conversion into Cinema & Office now 7.2.4

Only just come across this thread thanks to your other more recent thread. Looks a lovely job and it's great to see a dedicated room decorated to get the best out of the projector for a change. I do wonder where they come up with names for paint though; my OH was looking at something called 'Elephant's breath' today for a bedroom. :rolleyes: If I had a separate room I'd be looking to do something very similar myself, though we do have very similar kit (also supplied by Rob) mine is limited due to a living room location.

Thanks for posting up your story and photos. :smashin:

One of the best looking systems on here and I imagine it sounds truly awesome, you can always be sure of a first class install with Gecko.I have heard/felt that twin 15 USC sub and it really delivers a good smack in the chest along with great music sound reproduction.:)

Nice to see you have gone with the 150's along with the Sony VW500ES you have a system there that will easily see you through quite a few years and many many happy hours of entertainment.

I only have a single 15 but in a much smaller room and it really delivers big grins every time I have it on (which is normally every day:D).

Hi Kbfern, Thanks for your kind words.
I watched Jack Reacher the other night & the car chase sounded amazing, it was if i was sat in the car with cruise.... I also watched oblivion & could not get over the quality of the picture. The VW500 is fantastic.

Only just come across this thread thanks to your other more recent thread. Looks a lovely job and it's great to see a dedicated room decorated to get the best out of the projector for a change. I do wonder where they come up with names for paint though; my OH was looking at something called 'Elephant's breath' today for a bedroom. :rolleyes: If I had a separate room I'd be looking to do something very similar myself, though we do have very similar kit (also supplied by Rob) mine is limited due to a living room location.

Thanks for posting up your story and photos. :smashin:

Hi Kelvin
I did a lot of planning, but i don't think i would have got the result i have if it was not for Rob at Gecko. His knowlage is endless & the little bits of extra info that he gives you can & do make the differences to the end results. He is passionat about this stuff & it shows. The Subwoofer that was custom made is incredible & i would reccomend it to everyone. I have riden bikes all my life & now that my balls have shrunk & my brain got bigger i tend to ride the Harley which brings a smile to my face when i get to ride it (dry weather). The Cinema brings a smile to my face most nights & days if i get the time. It's almost like being in the movie, its that good....

Id have put a pair of those subs in there :D I've actually designed a pair of these for myself as well, but they are more of an in room product. Can never have enough low end power :devil:

Hi Dan
The Sub is incredible & not sure if the house would withstand 2 of these subs as got some cracks appearing...
Not sure if they are just shrinkage from new plaster. Time will tell.

Hi Dan
The Sub is incredible & not sure if the house would withstand 2 of these subs as got some cracks appearing...
Not sure if they are just shrinkage from new plaster. Time will tell.
Im glad you like it, we put a lot of time and effort in at Gecko playing with the drivers in various designs to work out how best to put them to use in various applications. The dual units have always sounded great at Gecko HQ and Im glad the time we put in is paying off for people now. I knew it would perform, but its still nice to hear a happy customer.

Recent addition to the stairs to the cinema is 5 film posters that i had framed at in2frames at chesterfield.
They did a really good job & was not expencive.
Last of the mohicans as this was the first flick that my wife & i saw on our first date. Matrix, Grease, as i had to give in to the wife. Monsters inc, 1 for the kid in me... & Lord of the rings, liked the poster
DSC_0081.JPG

Im glad you like it, we put a lot of time and effort in at Gecko playing with the drivers in various designs to work out how best to put them to use in various applications. The dual units have always sounded great at Gecko HQ and Im glad the time we put in is paying off for people now. I knew it would perform, but its still nice to hear a happy customer.

I couldn't be more happier... some of the comments i get back from family & friends say that the experiance they have had at my cinema is better than going to Vue or cimeworld. BTW the car chase in Jack Reacher i watched the other night was increadible "That V8-powered Chevrolet Chevelle was fantastic :)

I've only just found this thread but I have to say that you've done a great job! :thumbsup:

Great choice of kit, a great room, and an eye for design details make it something a bit special, and it's good to see the USC sub in place and doing what it does so well! :)

I think your friends have hit the nail on the head - why go all the way to the chav-infested, bass-light cinema for a tenner each (+ a fiver for refreshments :rolleyes:) when you have something much better just upstairs! I would be very satisfied with the end results if I was you :)

At the risk of sounding like a teenager with a pimped up Saxo, the power and bass of this system is absolutely amazing. It sounds fabulous but with nearly 10,000w in a room of this size it just makes you grin - or jump - when the special effects come along.

I really would be surprised to see some structural issues in the building if this system is used at full tilt!

This is an absolutely cracking looking room, well done :smashin: I heard the dual 15 USC at a Gecko meet last year and my god does it throw out some bass :eek: and coupled with the MK's and Onkyo, well in my opinion it rivals if not beats a commercial cinema. Enjoy every second of your room/system for many years to come.

Thanks for everyones response, its really pleasing to get such great feed back...
Just a little update too. Ive got the Dark knight to go opposite The Joker. I will put a picture up when he arrives. It's also crazey how you never notice the detail when listerning & watching movies on your TV (55") & just normal DVD's are ok, but not for the cinema when you watch a DVD & then a Blueray, "WOW" The sound & the clarity is just on a different level

First of all i really like your room, second that custom sub looks very intimidating and ready for action.:D I bet it sounds amazing in there a proper home cinema is what i would call your room.

First of all i really like your room, second that custom sub looks very intimidating and ready for action.:D I bet it sounds amazing in there a proper home cinema is what i would call your room.

Thanks for the comments ninjafoot. The sub is amazing, just upgraded some of my DVD collections to Blueray & watched Matrix reloaded the other night & a scene where the Nebuchadnezzar was landing & it sounded like it was landing in the room. The movies are not just about the quality of the picture any more, its also the sound & what its recorded in Thx 7.1 ....

Brilliant looking room, Love those MK speakers and Sony 4k projector

Hi Tucker10, I could not be more happy with the MK speakers & the Sony projector and the sub. The combination is simply magic and it's really thanks to Rob at gecko. His advice in the building of the room & the system was i think the most important part of the whole project and i don't think i would have achived such great results without it.
I will post some pictures of the screen with images too. Thanks for your kind words too.

Very inspirational, I'm going back into my loft tonight with the tape measure, I convinced my self it's too small but going to double check as I love this.

Just abit concerned as I have no experience on how the sloping sides will affect the sound stage, does it restrict imaging height or any thing in your opinion?

Looks stunning. Wish it was mine. Would never be out of there.

Very inspirational, I'm going back into my loft tonight with the tape measure, I convinced my self it's too small but going to double check as I love this.

Just abit concerned as I have no experience on how the sloping sides will affect the sound stage, does it restrict imaging height or any thing in your opinion?
Hi Jamesvicky
The Acoustics are fantastic so i have no problem with the sloping walls ( they may have improved it ) For the screen: i looked at the viewing distance recommended with the size of the room & the different types of sounds. ie THX, Dolby pro & the such. with a 10ft screen the recommended viewing distance is 16ft & 20ft. So my room was big enough to accommodate this as i have one row of seats at 16ft & back row at 20ft
The screen is 2:40 as it would have been tight for a 16:9 & most movies are in the 2:40.

The lofts a great place as its like going somewhere else & you forget your in your own home, its a real escape. I would recommend it as i really enjoy my time in there & still can not believe its at the top of my house.....

Hi Tony 3D
Loving this loft cinema!

You seem to have the spitting image of my loft and this is very similar to what I was thinking of doing, just with a gym instead of the office!
If you don't mind me asking roughly how much did it all cost (excluding furniture as I won't be needing that) you don't have to be exact just a rough idea!
Also did you have to do any thing for fire regulations ie, fire escapes and fire proof doors etc?
Thanks for your help.

Hi Tony 3D
Loving this loft cinema!

You seem to have the spitting image of my loft and this is very similar to what I was thinking of doing, just with a gym instead of the office!
If you don't mind me asking roughly how much did it all cost (excluding furniture as I won't be needing that) you don't have to be exact just a rough idea!
Also did you have to do any thing for fire regulations ie, fire escapes and fire proof doors etc?
Thanks for your help.

Hi Mag77
It would be missleading to give you a cost for the conversion not knowing what you have to start with.
How old is the building, what material used, structual rafters & fire proofing et, et.
I have done other projects similar (not cinema but loft conversion) so you could be looking anywhere from £40K+ just for building work & could be more if you have to have structual rafters along side originals. then there is all the rest...Heating/lighting/decor/floor covering/insulation. Loft space is not a good place for a gym unless the floor is supported as this is roof space after all. New fire regulation changed and you now have to create a fire corridor so every living space, ie bedrooms/cinema/office/living room/kitchen & any other room that leads to the outside door (didn't have to put them on bathroom or toilet) has to have a fire door fitted (expencive for us as we went with the 35mm, 45mm are a lot cheaper)
For you to have a good understanding of your cost you should get some quotes as we found them to be so different. Have a good architectual plan done with all the required materials as some builders aren't aware of new legislation & materials that should be used and can do jobs cheaper by not using the required thicknes of insulation. This also stops any conflict/confusion if it in black & white and you are both working from the same plan. Good Luck.

Hi Mag77
It would be missleading to give you a cost for the conversion not knowing what you have to start with.
How old is the building, what material used, structual rafters & fire proofing et, et.
I have done other projects similar (not cinema but loft conversion) so you could be looking anywhere from £40K+ just for building work & could be more if you have to have structual rafters along side originals. then there is all the rest...Heating/lighting/decor/floor covering/insulation. Loft space is not a good place for a gym unless the floor is supported as this is roof space after all. New fire regulation changed and you now have to create a fire corridor so every living space, ie bedrooms/cinema/office/living room/kitchen & any other room that leads to the outside door (didn't have to put them on bathroom or toilet) has to have a fire door fitted (expencive for us as we went with the 35mm, 45mm are a lot cheaper)
For you to have a good understanding of your cost you should get some quotes as we found them to be so different. Have a good architectual plan done with all the required materials as some builders aren't aware of new legislation & materials that should be used and can do jobs cheaper by not using the required thicknes of insulation. This also stops any conflict/confusion if it in black & white and you are both working from the same plan. Good Luck.

Ok thanks for the reply.
Your right with all them considerations and fire regulations I think I better get a proper quote. I didn't want to go to the trouble of getting one then find it way too expensive to consider!
I'll ask around mates etc and see if I can find a friendly builder who would come have a look and let me know what's involved!

Tony 3D

How are you finding your cinema, how that you've had it a few months now?
Are you using it as often as you thought you might.........possible even more than you thought. Have you watched anything that other members here might have missed.

Two of my favourite recent movies that I really enjoyed are Elysium and The Great Gatsby......both are visually stunning, TGG is very bright and vibrant, and I'm a bit of a sucker for the music and fashion from that era if I'm honest.

Any that you would recommend would be greatly welcomed....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom