1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loft Box for Multi Room?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by pd33, Sep 23, 2005.

1. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

We're about to move into a new house and the builder has put TV sockets in several of the rooms. I believe he's run the coaxial cable from them to a single point (e.g. in the loft).

I'd like to have SKY in every room if possible and I've seen these:

http://www.letsautomate.com/10567.cfm

Has anyone tried that sort of thing? We'll have decent TVs (42" plasma in lounge, probably a 17" LCD on wall in kitchen that kind of thing) so quality is important however i'd imagine you can still take scart off the digi box for the lounge TV.

Any thoughts? Would be nice to have Sky in the kitchen without a digi box or video sender box.

Thanks,

Paul

2. hog

hog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi
    i fit a lot of these , and you should nt have any probs with them , providing your builder has put in enough cables to your main lounge point, you will need a min of two for normal sky d , or three if you have sky plus.

3. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As far as I know he's only put one cable to the lounge where the kit would be. He (for some reason) has put another cable to the wall where a plasma would hang...not sure if that helps me.

Presumably I could run another cable down the outside of the house (doubt SWMBO would like that!) or something? Sounds like a nightmare, wish I'd got this all sorted while he was building it!!!!

Is it likely a local installation firm might sort this for me?

4. kingcobbler

kingcobbler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Paul

I have a similar set up.

Sky+ in the living room (Scart connection) and my old sky box in the loft.

RF output from sky+ up to the loft too, therefore distributing sky twice round the house.
    Then use Powermids in all rooms apart from the living room to change channels on the sky box in the loft.

It work so well I'm gonna upgrade the old loft box to sky+ too.

5. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ...presumably if I have the sky box in the loft I don't need to worry about 2 x cables to the lounge as the lounge just becomes one of the outputs?

Do you have multiroom subscription or just need a special dish to have two boxes?

Is it safe to have sky box in loft? Presumably you need a phone connection in there if you are worried about the sky contract ?

So you have a similar distribution box to the one I linked to?

Is the quality good? I guess you wouldn't want the lounge plasma off the distribution and that's why you have 2 boxes?

Lots of options!!!!

Thanks,

Paul

6. hog

hog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi
    it not a problem having it in the loft , just using a basic by-pass distribution amp from the rf2 port , then just have magic eyes in each room , you just wont be able to view it via the rgb scart on your main tv ,(unless you run an extra long scart) it will only be via the rf feed , and the quality wont be as good , especially if your fitting a plasma, if you go for multiroom you would just need a quad lnb fitting to your existing dish to feed your plus box or standard one,i would have the sky plus in the lounge and feed it back round the house ,even if it means running a few extra cables in ...
    hog

7. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Global LoftBox is a good piece of kit, you might want to have a look at the Blake version which has built in Tetra filtering.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not advisable for a Sky+ box, because of the effects of dust and temperature extremes on the hard drive.

9. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Hard drives are hermetically sealed so dust doesn't affect them. However I agree about temperature. Most lofts are like ovens in summer.

I found more Loft Box info here:
    http://www.satcure.com/tech/loftbox.htm
    Very similar to the page quoted above.

BTW the whole purpose of a Loft Box is to combine signals from TV aerial, LNB, FM radio aerial (and DAB aerial and a security camera if you have them) so that you need "only" two cables from the loft to the living room. With an addition bit of kit you can even use a SKY+ box and still have only 2 cables.

Of course the box doesn't have to be in the loft. It could be in any convenient space, provided that it's cool.

I must stress that the picture from the RF outputs is crap compared with RGB and the sound is MONO. Think carefully about this. You might consider using a CAT5 system instead, although MUCH more expensive.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sorry, but that is a popular misconception. Every drive has a small hole for air expansion, and the hole is covered by an air filter. The filter can become blocked and cause the drive to malfunction, or there is the possibility of smaller dust particles entering the filter.

If you don't believe me, take an old drive apart, and you'll see the hole and the filter. The hole often has a "do not cover" sticker near it.

11. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the info guys. I would really want a decent picture and also stereo sound ideally. Why don't you get stereo sound?

Maybe we should just have sky in the lounge and then have digital aerial piped to each of the rooms from a distribution in the loft, I suspect the sound and maybe picture (?) would be better with that, I presume it will be stereo ? There's only one cable from the loft to the lounge.

On a slightly related note, and because i've sat on phone "forever" waiting to speak to Sky about it today....what do people do with their sky stuff when they move?

I was considering giving notice as we are past the 12 months, then re-subscribing at new house but I suspect they don't allow that! I guess we might need to take the dish etc. with us and carry on the contract from the new location?

12. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hog...when I mentioned scart I meant for the lounge, presumably using the RF2 etc. doesn't mean I can't still use RGB for the lounge plasma ? I wouldn't want to compromise the lounge quality for the benefit of the other rooms.

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Stereo via the RF socket would require a NICAM encoder in the box, and they're expensive.

Sky do a special service for people when they move house - it's quite cheap.

"Don't forget to take your Sky box, remote and scart cables with you when you move. You will need to call Sky to let us know you are moving home and to provide us with your new address. Please ensure that you have an active telephone line in your new property before the installation. We'll arrange for an engineer to reconnect you for a small charge. A new minidish and cabling will be installed in your new home and your existing Sky box connected."

That was from Sky's Customer Service Web Pages

14. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    basically you can put the sky+ box in the lounge and feed the plasma straight from that with scart and RF1, and then you need an RF feed back up to the loft (ie. two RF cables from the loft to the lounge) from RF2 to a distribution amp that has DC bypass for the magic eyes

15. Spookyville

Spookyville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did you go with this in the end ? Did it all work out as planned and give the desired results??

We are moving soon and are planning to get sky+ direct to the lounge and then have a freeview aerial piped to 3 or 4 rooms (inc the lounge) via a loftbox.

16. pd33

pd33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi, not exactly. We are yet to move in and the builder is simply distributing freeview aerial although bizarrely their website says we can't get it ! We will then get Sky prob just to lounge but might get it distributed later. Let us know how you get on too!