1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loft aerials

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mobily, Aug 14, 2005.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all,

I am currently looking at moving house and of the houses I have seen the majority have loft aerials rather than rooftop aerials. One of the houses had two aerials in the loft pointing to two different transmitters and then connected to a 6 way booster. Would this be fine do you think for freeview or would a rooftop aerial be preferable?

Cheers :)

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    A rooftop aerial is always preferable, especialy with digital.
    Anologue copes much better when loft mounted.
    There is not only a lower signal but also reflections from inside the loftspace.
    It would be false ecconomy for a good result.

Nigel

3. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should really only have one aerial, too many problems can be caused by having more then I aerial. Loft aerials are ok in good signal areas. If the signal is poor you may be able to use a masthead amplifier with that 6 way booster.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The most important part about siting an aerial as high as possible is to keep it away from terrestrial sources of interference like household appliances and cars. If you use an inferior loft aerial with an amplifier, you are amplifying the signal and the interference, because amplifiers don't discriminate between the two. People tolerated the occasional flash and flicker on analogue, caused by interference, but on digital it causes pixelation and sound pops, which are not so easy to ignore.

5. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you mean that to roof mount the aerial it wound't be worth the extra cost for a good result? If the signal is weak then I would be willing to get someone in to roofmount a wideband aerial. I suppose whenever you move house you never know what the previous occupants have done e.g. double shielded coaxial, boosters, amplifiers etc.

6. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would like to think that they leave everything behind, seems a bit mean otherwise. What does the vendor questionaire say?

7. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Quote "It would be false ecconomy for a good result."

That does sound a bit confusing, but my whole point was that roof mounted is prefered.
    Loft mounted can save you money, but you may have problems.

Nigel