loft aerial

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jelly, Nov 30, 2003.

1. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    is there any particular reason why an aeriel in the loft would woudnt work

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for freeveiw???
    Yeah the roof is in the way! if you have an excellent signal it will work if not you get lots of break up if signal is weak then you just get red dots!

3. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    no just for analogue

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine in the roof works fine for normal TV viewing, depends entirely on signal strength in your area, if you have a strong signal an aerial in your loft is every bit as good as an aerial on your roof, a few slates or tiles do not make that much difference,

5. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beejaycee,

I beg to differ, had a massive FM aerial in the loft and could barely get anything, once on roof barely had any hiss at all - I wouldn't put my aerial in the loft unless I had no choice.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have a loft aerial and it works perfectly for analogue and Freeview. I live in Bath and get the signals from the Mendip transmitter (some 15-20 miles away). My Sony Freeview box shows good signal strength and no quality problems.

I'm sure that given the choice roof is better, but I bought a house which already had a loft aerial, and as it works fine, will stick with it.

Mark

7. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Where I live, 20 miles from the Dover transmitter, loft aerials installations are useless. Its external or nothing down here.
    Thats a poor analogue signal for you.
    Digital is even worse. :thumbsdow

8. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brox, I did say it depends entirely on the signal strength in your area, My VHF radio in the kitchen gives excellent reception on a single rod aerial extended to about 750mm, and the signal has to pass through at least two 250mm thick brick walls, in my bedroom I do have a 300ohm aerial, pinned to the inside of my wardrobe !! again good reception with the signal passing through at least one wall and the wood of the wardrobe. Thats with VHF radio, a UHF television signal will pass through almost anything witness the thousands of people who happily watch TV from a set top aerial buried in the lounge or at best in a bedroom or flat. If UHF did not pass through brick walls the original analogue mobile phones would have never got of the ground if you couldn't use them indoors!!. I am therefore making the point that UHF signals will pass through the 5 - 10 mm of tiles/slates on your roof without noticing that their there and if you get poor reception I believe it has more to do with the position of the aerial than the fact that it is in the loft. I believe it's allways worth just trying an aerial in the loft first first you might be surprised, it's then very easy (although more exspensive and difficult with the possiblity of causing structural damage to your house) to move it outside if you are not happy with the picture.

But it does depend on signal strength, if like me you live less than 20 miles across relatively flat terrain from the Crystal Palace transmitter then no problem

9. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I live in Ramsgate and I have a loft aerial for the bedroom TV and it works fine on all channels. I live about 20 miles away from Dovers Transmitter and I have no problems. Where do you live Archie I assume it must be nearer Hastings direction??

10. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I live in Margate- next door to Ramsgate. Its interesting that your signal is that good and mine is so bad. You have good reception on all channels? Is that analogue or digital though?

11. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hi archie, the aerial in my loft is purely for analogue only. Dont think i would get away with it for digital. Is yours analogue??

EDIT: Thinking about it I think that Ramsgate is higher than Margate, think thats is the reason why the Invicta transmitter for Thanet is in Westwood purely for the fact that is the highest point. Just a thought??

12. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've had to install a 52 element largear aerial myself to improve things for the digital reception. It's outside the house up on the chimney. It does a good job considering how low the signal is. But passing traffic is the main problem for me at least with impulsive interference causing the digital picture to break up.

Ramsgate is also very slightly nearer Dover so this might explain your better reception.

13. cupcake

cupcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Hammersmith, and have my aerial in the loft. My Sony freeview box had been working pretty much flawlessly with good strength and signal quality. Bizzarely though, on tuesday night, channel 5 reception was attrocious....very poor signal quality. Wasn't home last night to see if there was an improvement. Any ideas what might be going on?

Cheers

14. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Another factor is the kind of insulation you have. Many roofs nowadays are insulated with stuff like Cellotex which is thick foam with silver material on the sides and it's often fitted under the tiles, all the way to the ridge. This can cause signals to bounce all over the shop.