Loft Aerial Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by aaronasprey, Feb 11, 2019.

1. aaronasprey

aaronasprey
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, me and my partner are moving into our first home together on Saturday and the lady who showed us the house explained that although there are aerial sockets in the living room and bedroom, there is no aerial in the loft but the wiring is there to fit one easy enough.

We are roughly 3-4 miles away from our nearest transmitter so hopefully the signal should be fine, but can anyone recommend us a decent budget friendly tv aerial for in the loft.

Preferably something low profile that we can just attach to one of the joists/beams with a couple of screws.

Thanks for any help!
    Aaron

2. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    I have one of These which works well for me.

3. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Loft and indoor aerial installations for TV, FM and DAB is worth a read.

LOCATION? 4 miles from a low power relay and on the 'wrong side' of the hill could mean no reception possible from that transmitter but you are well served from another site much further away.

NB1 The UK transmitter network is designed around the use of external, directional TV aerials at 10 metres above the ground. Loft aerials are lower and lose a significant amount of signal by attenuation due to the roofing materials.

NB2 In a loft, the aerial can be supported by bits of string, with no need for fixing poles... although only if it won't be disturbed by things being placed in/removed from storage in the loft.

NB3 You will need an aerial splitter (passive losing 4dB each way for 2-ways, 8dB if 4-ways; or amplified) if you want to feed more than one room. Location might help define the likely need if we know how many rooms you want outlets in.

NB3 Too small an aerial is more likely to disappoint cf a larger one which collects more signal. TJT1's suggestion is a very small aerial.

4. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Absolutely. But I am about 4 miles line of sight from the Hastings 'repeater' which is similar to the distance mentioned by OP, but I do have it on a short pole on the eaves of my two story house.

Obviously if OP needs to 'go for' the more distant transmitter, a larger aerial will be required, but could possibly have problems if the direction involves pointing it through a gable end wall.

Outside is always best for all but really strong signal areas, but loft mounting eliminates weathering.

5. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Hastings - being one of the 81 original DTT sites with 6 multiplexes and line fed is nowadays classed as a Main Transmitter (albeit a 'daughter' of another SIPSI site).

It's also 1kW erp and not a low power site so 4 miles is nothing cf a 1 Watt relay...