Loft aerial quadruplex connection confusion

tom11

Novice Member
Newbie question, trying to understand TV reception more and my new build’s cable set-up.

I have coax cables run into the loft. The main living room TV connection is a quadruplex faceplate which takes two coax satellite inputs and gives four outputs: two satellite outputs, one ‘TV’ output and one ‘Radio’ output. Looking at this product, you are supposed to connect a satellite dish and it somehow generates a Freeview signal from this as well as the satellite signal for your Sky box.

I installed a Freeview aerial and connected it to the satellite cable and it works, I now have Freeview TV out of the TV output of the faceplate.

Can anyone explain why this works because I didn’t think it should? The faceplate is expecting input from a satellite dish but it’s getting Freeview aerial instead.

Many thanks!

BE60205F-B529-41AD-B23B-80382EEB53D7.jpeg

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Can anyone explain why this works

The SAT2 is just a connector so will pass anything it is supplied with. Connect a TV aerial and the signals will appear on the plate output labelled SAT2.

SAT 1 has filters to split out a combined signal from a similar device in reverse that has a Sat LNB in, UHF TV aerial in and FM+DAB signal in...

That combiner and decombiner involves smallish losses of the signals, costs the boxes, but saves on cable. So, if SAT1 was used for just a UHF TV aerial feed it would appear on the TV socket on the wallplate.

tom11

Novice Member

The SAT2 is just a connector so will pass anything it is supplied with. Connect a TV aerial and the signals will appear on the plate output labelled SAT2.

SAT 1 has filters to split out a combined signal from a similar device in reverse that has a Sat LNB in, UHF TV aerial in and FM+DAB signal in...

That combiner and decombiner involves smallish losses of the signals, costs the boxes, but saves on cable. So, if SAT1 was used for just a UHF TV aerial feed it would appear on the TV socket on the wallplate.

Thank you, that website you linked is very informative. Can you comment whether the loss of signal in the decombiner would degrade my Freeview UHF TV signal enough that it would be worth switching the aerial to the SAT2 feed?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Try it. My household distribution system uses these everywhere. Insertion loss for TV seems minimal in real terms, using in-built appliance metering. I can compare TV fed via the distribution system and a directly connected aerial.

The modules are made by Triax. Go to their website for full technical details.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom