Loft Aerial for Freeview?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Blu Ray, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hiyas,
    I live on a hill and opposite Winter Hill transmitter mast, therefore I can practically receive transmissions by hanging a sock out of the window.

Having said that, I am wondering if I would be able to receive Freeview OK by just using a loft aerial. Has anyone trried this who lives near a transmitter?

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I live miles from Crystal Palace and my loft aerial works just fine. So does my mums and thats 50 years old [may have been replaced for colour TV?]. Is there a problem with loft aerials when close to a transmitter?

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    Well I live in a flat that is miles away from a transmitter. I have a loft aerial that is years old and has just about everything wrong according to the ideal install. But I still get very good reception of Freeview.

This just shows that there are no hard & fast rules with old aerials or even where they are installed. You just need to try it and see if it does work.

Mark.

4. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I live about 17 miles from Winter Hill (as the crow flies) and have a loft aerial. I am also in a valley behind a further range of hills.

Reception is good most of the time, but weather and mornings can affect signal quality. I have a Televes DAT45 and mast head amp in the loft.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,022
    30 miles from Emley Moor - fairly good line of sight. Good totally glitch-free reception on a loft aerial and an old On-Dig box.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Puttting an aerial on the roof doesn't only increase its height, it also means that the roofing material will shield the aerial from interference sources within the house. The amount of shielding you get depends on what sort of roofing material you have. Digital TV is fairly susceptable to interference, causing pictures to pixellate and the sound to break up. It's often worth trying out a loft aerial on Freeview before spending money on a roof aerial - in many cases it will be sufficient.

Where I am - N. Cambs - over 30 miles from Sandy Heath, I need a high-gain aerial with a masthead amp to provide sufficient signal for 2 TV's.

7. gdickin2

gdickin2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Preston and got fairly poor reception throught my 'digital Tv' aerial when in the loft. Channel 5 was particularly affected and largely unwatchable. Most other channels would seem to fall apart after 9:00pm aswell. I have now moved the aerial outside and the signal strength has increased considerably and all channels are now watchable.
    If its no hassle to you then I would go for the outdoor option.

8. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks guys, think I'll try the loft one first on a sale or return basis. have to wait till New Year now, though ;)