Loft Aerial for DAB Tuner

MWP1985

I've just bought a Genus DU-1 DAB Tuner. I bought a Coax to F-Plug socket convertor so I could use my old TV loft aerial to get a DAB signal. This works perfectly on most stations but I can barely get a signal on Classic FM and a few others. I know that a good signal is achievable on these stations in my area as I have a Pure ONE that can receive them virtually anywhere in the house with its built-in aerial.

My question is would replacing this loft-based TV aerial with, say, a 3-element DAB aerial bring an improvement? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks.

flying haggis

I've just bought a Genus DU-1 DAB Tuner. I bought a Coax to F-Plug socket convertor so I could use my old TV loft aerial to get a DAB signal. This works perfectly on most stations but I can barely get a signal on Classic FM and a few others. I know that a good signal is achievable on these stations in my area as I have a Pure ONE that can receive them virtually anywhere in the house with its built-in aerial.

My question is would replacing this loft-based TV aerial with, say, a 3-element DAB aerial bring an improvement? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks.

if your old tv aerial is an old 625 type ie with small rods you are lucky to get
any DAB signal at all.
if it is an old 425 type with long rods try cutting them down to approx 15" across and ensure that the aerial is pointing in the right direction!

if that fails search on e-bay for a design for a homemade DAB aerial (i made on using the instructions in about twenty minutes and have been pleasantly surprised with the results)

spuddler

Hi,B&Q ones seem better(& cheaper,if i remember correctly0 than Maplins,i got DAB & FM.FM did DAB OK so took DAB one back(DAB didn't do FM well).Its in my loft,with metal A frames,do don't now what it would be like in other situ's.Both are omni directional,FM one is big/long.See this:-

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/fmanddabradio.html

Cheers BOB

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
if your old tv aerial is an old 625 type ie with small rods you are lucky to get
any DAB signal at all.
if it is an old 425 type with long rods try cutting them down to approx 15" across and ensure that the aerial is pointing in the right direction!

if that fails search on e-bay for a design for a homemade DAB aerial (i made on using the instructions in about twenty minutes and have been pleasantly surprised with the results)

I think you meant 405 (lines VHF) vs 625 line UHF.
An old 405-line Band III aerial uses similar frequencies to DAB and so would work ok if you can find or salvage one.

Chris Muriel, Boston, USA (back in Manchester next week)

Sonic67

Banned
I have the Maplins DAB aerial. I'm in Birmingham and sometimes can get Coventrys multiplex in addition to the local stuff. So very good.

btcsbb

Standard Member
Hi
I have a Genus Vero2 and a Roberts RD5. I have found that I can get full strength signals by splitting into my external VHF aerial, I use a booster which seems to cover the necessary wavebands and it was all very easy and cheap. I live in Somerset and have an aerial rotator but find that pointed to Plymouth with my normal VHF setting I do not have to redirect. Classic FM is excellent.

B

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom