1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Xelos SL32HD/DR+ Service Menu Found

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bill4, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Bill4

Bill4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    In case anyone need it, here is how to access the Service menu:

Fold down the flap on the signal box
    Press the < pointing circle arrow to bring up the menu.
    With the remote, hilight the Service Menu (Authorised personel only...)
    Press "Menu" on the remote within 2 seconds!!!

Make sure you press the Menu button after you hilighted the Service Mnu option within 2 seconds! (for me, it's more like 1).
    ----------------------------

Now. Can anyone tell me what the esoteric options are in the Service Menu? Especially the ones with nonsensical names.
    ---------------------------
    Just one more thing. Does anyone know why is there no "Now/Next" program info on DTV channels? I can get the 7 day EPG, but this is long winded compared to what I was used to on the Pace Freeview box. Not to mention full program description is not available (only a partial one, and no scrolling).
    Sometimes timer recording also starts late (if you have DR+) as much as by 1/2 hours, even though it's set in the EPG.
    No digital TXT, and no CAM for TopUp TV. No PIP when viewing DVI source.

Apart from this problems, very nice set.
    I just wish the fan could be quieter, and that it does not swith on middle of the night after the TV has been off for about 2 hours and no timer recording is set. The system cables are angled and partially block the DVI connecter.

Did I mention the esoteric menues in the Service Menu?

2. Bill4

Bill4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Anyone?

Hmmmm.
    I thought some of you needed this...
    Maybe when someone figured out the items on the service menu...

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Bill, I just stumbled across this - posted in the wrong forum! Maybe the moderator could move the whole thread to the LCD forum.

I found the service menu too but am reluctant to fiddle. I think I will wait until my DVD recorder gets delivered and badger the installation engineer then to make some minor adjustments. According to DVE, one of my colours is slightly off optimal.

Have you got the HD recorder too? Did you qualify for the free DVD recorder and have you got it yet? Boy doesn't the unit run hot.

I have a few niggles too:
    When recording to HD, the set changes channel even when viewing an external source. Having only one digital tuner, I can understand this if I was watching another digital channel, but can't understand it if I am watching external sources.

I can't tune into ABC1. It found the ITV3 placeholder, but ABC1 remains elusive even though my Pace twin, on the same aerial feed, picks it up and I have tried at different times of the day.

I wish I could use the Freeview standard channel numbers.

EPG: I actually would prefer this to the Pace, if, it would order items as per the channel numbers and if it would allow you to filter out items that have been running for some time - ie timeshare channels that are nolonger broadcasting take preference.

Like you say, a better version of now and next rather than being taken to a channel specific version of the EPG.

Better handling of timeshift channels, for example, some cannot be tuned unless they are actually broadcasting.

It would be nice to have digital text but I knew this before I bought. Its also amazing how use you get to twin digital tuners as in the Pace. To be honest, I slightly regret going the DTV and HD route.

I do think that the EPG series mode for recording is much better than the Pace Twin. It detects changes in recording time without manual intervention - maybe this is what you are witnissing? For example, recently Eastenders slipped from 7:30 to 8:00 for one of its episodes. Since I am just recording Eastenders as a series, rather than each individual episode, it detected this automatically.

I wish the manual could be better. I can understand the service menu being 'esoteric', but some quite complex things are glossed over or not even mentioned.

As for no CAM for TUTV, I thought that all IDtv's had to provide for this. Not that im going to subscribe. The standard TUTV cam definately won't work?

-Ian

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I forgot to mention that it is possible to have the old style teletext, split screen, when viewing digital channels - it doesn't seem possible when viewing an external source. If you have not discovered this, when viewing a digital channel, hit the text button. No teletext will be displayed. Now press P+ on the cursor, the teletext for the first analogue channel should now display, you can then choose whatever channel of teletext that you wish by purther use of P+/P-. And since all the pages are buffered (I think its 2500 pages), page selection is pretty much instant and you have instant access to all the sub pages too.

-Ian

5. Bill4

Bill4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Ian. Sorry, I was a way for a while.
    I did not regret getting the digital tuner or the DR+. The digital tuner is essential, as the PQ with the analogue tuner is pants. I have also gotmyself the IR link (not tested yet), and the Arcam DV29 connected via HDMI-DVI cable.
    Whether I'm watching freeview or DVD, blacks could be better. When I watch a 4:3 broadcast, I can see black (well grey) bars on either side. They are never black, which is what I would like (same goes for the top and bottom bar on WS movies). The TV can do true black, but I have only noticed this on BBC News 24 when a black bar flushes up at the bottom with some text in it. This is the only time I can detect true black. Regardsless how much I play with the brightness/contrast setting, I can never get this black from DVD or from any freeview channels.

DR+
    Shame you can't record from external sources, noisy HD and Fan.
    Why on earth the fan spins up after the TV has been on standby for more than 2hr, is a mistery. I had to switch off continous recording, because the HD was making a click (seeking) sound. I only use the DR+ to record from a freeview channel.
    Sound in stereo is very good (as far as this things go), but do avoid panorama and other WS sounds. DD decoding would be nice, but I can live without it (PCM only on digital coax feed for now). How do you update to one of this anyway?
    Since I have the digital tuner version, I wonder if this also includes a satellite tuner. Can't test it now (no dish yet), but it would be nice.
    I also wonder if the built in CI slot can take a standard Mediaguard CAM and decode TUTV that way, or for satellite use (I don't need TUTV).

Which pattern is best for adjusting the colours using DVE?