Loewe Xelos New LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Cebera, Feb 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Cebera

Cebera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that there is a new model due out in March called the A32 Xelos. What are the differences between it and the SL32?? Other than £1000!!??

Thanks

Andy

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't think it has the external media box. Think Sharp GA series compared with GD series - OK it doesn't have the digital tuner as standard. It may also actually be better - it has HDMI and 9 bit processing. The current range, like most if not all other LCD's on the market, are 8 bit. That would allow for smoother graduations but just guessing here.

3. Cebera

Cebera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having an all in one unit is an advantage to me as I don't want boxes that are not necessary on display. I have always believed "you don't get ought for nought"! - It just seems too good to be true. £1000 cheaper, possibly better performance. Why would anyone by an SL32?

4. achimb33

achimb33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually there is no detailed information for the A32 on the German homepage of LOEWE. I found this for the A26, should be similar to the A32. Sorry, its in German but I think you will get the details.

http://www.loewe.de/download/xel_a26.pdf

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Achim

5. relaxed

relaxed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See my earlier reply,
    Empire Direct have the Spheros 32HD for £2135. Why bother with the Xelos when you can get the spheros for that price.........

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think/hope that is probably a mistake - a saving 864.66 would not get even near the price of a Spheros, especially in Basalt.

7. sniick

sniick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brought the xelos A 26 home last week, and am very pleased with it's performance btw.

8. psotfx

psotfx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you give us your opinion on picture quality, etc.? Having seen the specs this may be the one set that re-sparks my "near term" interest rather than awaiting the next sets from Philips/Sony/etc.

9. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +556
    mmmmmmm Loewe Xelos 32" LCD at £1900...can't wait.

I think I read Loewe use Sharp panels?

This one has shot to the top of my wanted list!

10. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your not wrong they do use sharp panels. and very nice they are to .

11. relaxed

relaxed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ahd my xelos delivered.

Good,

Picture quality is great on analodue and digital
    Sound quality really is excellant
    Interface and help is brilliant
    Feels very high quality

Bad,
    No didtal teletext
    digital channels only tune in when broacasting, the tuner does not recognise shared channels or BBC 3 unless you tune after 7 pm, if I do this I lose cBBies which upsets the important little person in the house.

Wouls reccommend the TV overall though as these problems disappear with my PVR tuner attached.

12. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a problem with other receivers as well. BBC could do something about that.

Other providers' shared channels do not have this problem. either they simply provide two names for the same pids (so when you watch BBC3 during the day you get the children's program without any notice) or they transmit them as two completely independent channels where the inactive one sends a very low bitrate announcement chart (like "programming returns at 7pm").

13. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If watching digital but want t-text, select the text option and you will get a blank page. Hit programme up and BBC1 (or whatever you have in the first slot) will appear as old style teletext split screen with digital TV. This trick won't however work when watching an external source. But old style teletext with a 2500 page memory is 1000 times faster and useful than digital text.

The problem with not tuning in unless the programme is being transmitted is a due to the d-tv tuner being just that and not a Freeview tuner. The MHEG info apparently carries the place holder information when a channel is not broadcasting. So a Freeview box would decode this and tune in even if the channel wat not transmitting at that timeslot, but since the D-TV/D-Sat card does not handle MHEG, you cannot get this information so must wait for the channel to broadcast.

BTW. Do you have ABC1? If so, what SW version do you have for the D-TV/D-Sat option?

-Ian

14. relaxed

relaxed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian

Thanks for the tip, don't get me wrong the Loewe is by far the best picture I have seen, my little boy was watching the football yesterday on Freeview and there was no blocking or artifacts. The sound is really class, I seem to hear far more than I have with my Sony!

I do not get ABC1, there is an update on the way according to the Loewe people. I still have my TV on the factory settings; Everythind is set to the middle setting apart from the contrast which is at 18.

I will start to alter the settings soon.

The only and I mean only thing that is really annoying me is a little DV3 sticker that is not quite straight that LOEWE have put in the top left corner of the screen surround.

Cheers

15. relaxed

relaxed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian
    Sorry I forgot, does having the DV T option mean that I have a Satallite decoder on board? I know the guide book mentions ASTRA1 as the route for the TV to get updates so so I assume that attached to a suitable dish the TV will find free to air channels via dish?

Cheers

16. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Yes, the D-TV is a D-TV/D-Sat option so it does have satellite onboard too. There are also two CAM slots. Im not into satellite, but what I have gleened so far is that it will not work with Sky which requires its own proprietry boxes. However it can be used with some of the many other satellites offering a variety of services. The one thing to watch is that whilst there is a seperate D-TV and Satellite receiver, there is only one digital decoder which is shared by both. So if you wanted to watch one digital channel and record another, or use PIP, you cannot do this.

If you do get the Satellite option working, let me know how it goes and what you manage to pickup.

Im not sure if the future Xelos options will have the dual feature as the D-TV option is priced much cheaper.

-Ian

17. relaxed

relaxed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

This is really interesting! As current High Def output is coming from a Belgian station. I am not into sat TV either but if I could pick up some of the good quality European news, sport stations it would be excellent.

Does your TV have that silly DV3 sticker?

Cheers

Nigel

18. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    No silly sticker on mine :thumbsup: unless the little one found it before me and removed it.

Not sure if the D-Sat will do hidef. It would be great if it could do HD1,2 etc.

Actually, I think that E4 are running a trailer at the moment on Freeview. Must tune in so see if that it picked up.

-Ian

19. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +556
    Does the Loewe have Pip or PaP??

20. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Whats PAP? It has both split screen and PIP if that is what you mean. Although teletext only does split screen. With PIP you can decide the corner and size of the image.

It also has a choice of what screen is changed as you select a different channel. ie the one that you are watching with sound or the one that you have just bought into view.

PIP won't work with DVI or component, at least not HD component anyhow. Not sure what happens if you select SD component input. Also not sure if VGA input can be one of the PIP sources - I guess this would be useful if you were wanting to use the display as a PC monitor and watch TV at the same time.

-Ian

21. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone ever ordered from technikdirect? I ask as they've some very cheap Loewe's on offer, e.g.
    Xelos SL32 for 1586
    Xelos SL37 for 2482.
    I got GBP quote on the webpage by going to the international section and changing the currency to GBP

They're based in Germany so any returns would be a hassle i guess.

Thoughts?

22. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +556
    Just split screen basically.

Thanks for the response.

23. vascovaz

vascovaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMH as for the prices that you quote you may seen that they are only for the LCD panel, without the signal box ! I am consedering also to buy from technikdirect (I live in Portugal) but firstly I was thinking in ordering the signal box firstly the the panel, but then I am in a "stand by" status (!!) because I am hoping Loewe will sort out a Spheros model "A" without signal box and at a more atractive price.

Other german retailer to see is media-handel.de (I have no relation with him !!)