1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Xelos - horizontal and flyback lines visible

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jameshale, Jan 30, 2005.

1. jameshale

jameshale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have had a Xelos 5381 ZW for about 2 1/2 years and I have been very happy with it. Especially after adjusting its geometry a tad.
    However, I have now noticed horizontal lines about 3/4 to 1.5 inches apart across the screen with a diagonal flyback from the right end of each line to the left end of the next line. These are only noticeable when there is black on the screen (as in letterbox or side bars or just a dark scene.)
    I first thought they were from my DVD, but I can also see them on SD digital broadcasts (via STB) as well as analogue broadcasts.
    Interestingly they are not visible on the blue no signal screen.
    Any ideas? What causes them? Can they be fixed or adjusted out of view?
    Does this imply a component about the die?

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Flyback lines are usually caused by the LOPT adjustment being out,turning it down usually get's rid of them.

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is correct, however if you have not been aware of these lines before it would suggest an underlying problem with the ht circuitry. Therefore turning the screen voltage may well remove the flyback lines, but it will reduce light output and possibly upset the white balance a little plus the fault is still there. I would think the electrical component has already died so a competent repair person should be able to rectify it.

4. jameshale

jameshale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    additional.
    Since original posting noticed that when turning off set the curtain effect is no longer present. Instead, screen collapses like TVs of old except the flash in the middle is coloured.

Called technician for visit tomorrow.
    :thumbsdow

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, if you can see 'flyback lines' across the entire picture (ie, top to bottom and left to right) then usually the 'Screen' voltage needs a tweek. Not a fault 'per se' probably just aging of components. I'm not familiar with your model so I'm not certain what you mean by 'curtain effect' ? (ps, screen voltage is not the EHT voltage - some people get them confused). Regards, yt.

6. jameshale

jameshale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technician arrived. Showed the horizontal lines.
    Then showed the colour splash after the screen "closes" upon switch off.
    Up until that point he was moving towards the TV.
    At that point he stopped and simply said. "Tube needs replacing."
    Being just over two years old, I asked if this was common, to which he replied, no, not at all.
    Once they get a new tube in the will come and take it away for up to a week. bummer bummer bummer.
    At least it happened within the warranty. :(