1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

loewe xelos-any comments

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dsb, Jan 19, 2002.

1. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are these good quality?
    i know the brand in general has a nice reputation.
    i'm looking at the 28 inch media set.
    loewe support tell me it's technically identical to the aconda other than type of screen and casing.
    from my loewe brochures it does seem to have more advanced features than some xelos sets.
    also,what resolution does the vga input support?
    thanks

gareth

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Loewe, why?
    Is it the availability of non-silver colours, or the need for optional multi-media capability?
    If not have a good look at JVC AV28WT5, not 100hz, not Face Flat screen, not Made In Germany, not more than £450.
    Seriously, for Xelos money you can do a lot better with Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic etc., unless you are the kind of person who believes Mercedes never break down.

3. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    because i've already experienced sony quality-the set is a replacement for a fq75!
    with those great quality scrolling bars.
    also the xelos looked better than the sets i saw in the stores-i don't think any of the brands you mention have progressive scan and pulldown removal?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a long time I have been reading on this board about how superior Loewe TVs are.

A few weeks ago I got to see one in a department store and was able to make comparisons against the equivalent Tosh/Sony.

Well all the hype about the Loewe brand turned out to be just that - hype. In my opinion, the Loewe TV had a poorer image than both the Sony/Tosh. Not really surpising I guess as the sony/tosh used state of the art flat TV tubes, where as the Loewe opted for a previous generation tube (by the looks of which made by one of the inferior brands philips/thomson maybe)

True, the Loewe had its electronics calibrated to make the TV image pop, if thats your thing. But surely this is no diferent to cheap hi-fi having boosted bass because that what the undiscerning punter looks for.

Bottom line is, anyone looking for perfection in tube based technology is wasting their time. When someone tells you that an exotic sounding brand has magically found a way of producing better goods than the companys that spend billions, you should take it with a pinch of salt
    El

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    dsb, Loewe are nice looking sets, I agree, but if you are intending to replace a KV28FQ75, you will be better with a KV28FQ75 that works properly, than the Xelos. The Aconda and Vitros are both worth consideration at their price points, but I can't find a justification for the Xelos for the money.
    Imho, a 28" tv probably won't show the benefits of prog scan or pulldown, especially not with the generation of CRT used in the Xelos.
    Have a demonstration and see for yourself. It's only my opinion, perhaps you will be happy with a Loewe.

6. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sadly there's no such thing as a working fq75.
    sony themselves said there was no point in changing it as they all suffer from the fault.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    dsb, have you investigated JVC AV28X10 or Panasonic TX28PL10C or Toshiba 28ZD06, all 100hz, Flat CRTs, £700 ish ?
    Has Sony stated the KV28FX65 has the same fault as KV28FQ75, I don't think you would miss DRC-MF much if not .
    Mind you, the supplied cabinet with the KV28FX65 is an abomination. Just a thought.

8. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would miss the drc -it allowed me to view non anamorphic ntsc dvds zoomed in without scanlines.
    plus the fact that my opinion of sony sets has rather fallen.
    my real point of the thread though is-are there any xelos owners out there with comments?

9. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    El Indio- you really shouldn't rely on department store comparisons unless you check out both the settings and the source/connections. The sets are rarely optimised and feed quality varies enormously.

I have an Aconda which - after months & months of considering Panasonics and Sonys- delivers breathtaking picture quality when input quality is high. It is in fact the only 100hz flat set I checked out to deliver a better picture than my previous 50hz Panny 4:3.

But at John Lewis today I saw an identical Loewe to mine generating images which- did I not know better- would have me scuttling for the ascerbic sharpness and often dubious geometry of a Sony or the moire of a 100hz Panny....

That said the Xelos is not a flat screen and- unlike aconda & vitros- received some less than rave reviews a year or two back- although I understand it now has the same chassis as the Aconda.

10. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    i have a loewe calleda 33" and its awsome ,ive also had panasonic.bang and oulfsen,sony,tosh,and matsui (yuck) and
    the b&o cost well over £2000 but the calleda at £1600 beats it hand down :)

11. rjpreston

rjpreston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DSB,

I've just bought a Xelos 28" (model 5270). My main reseaons for buying it? V. nice picture, brand reputation, build quality & looks (its the only model that the g'friend would have in the house!)

Point for u to note: the 5270 (i.e. the Non-MultiMedia model) now comes with an updated Q2500B MediaPlus chassis (rather than the older Q4140 chassis as shown in the tech spec catalogue) - I only realised once I'd set the telly up and noticed that it had Picture0in-picture functions! I too was previously considering the @Media model (cos' that has the newer chassis) but rejected it once I'd found out it was £300 more expensive. So unless you're after the VGA (Woopee! 640x480 resolution!) input I'd wouldn't bother - save your dosh + get the 5270 with the newer chassis.

:cool:

Rob

12. rjpreston

rjpreston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P.S.

There's a v good review of the Xelos (32") at www.homecinemachoice.com which sings its praises ofd the picture

13. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi rob,
    what does the new chassis do over the old one?
    thanks
    gareth

14. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    think i'm answering my own question-so the model you bought has the same chassis as the 5970,vga input being the only difference?
    oh and where did you get yours and at what price please?
    and final question(!)-did you opt for the stand?
    seems a bit small for my equipment but i'm still looking for something suitable online
    thanks!

15. rjpreston

rjpreston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PIP seems the most obvious upgrade, plus EPG (Elec Prog Guide - if only BBC etc would transmit these!!) better teletext functionality (including a teletext-based pseudo-EPG for BBC etc). Plus ability to upgrade with the mediaplus add-ins at a later date.

After toying with buying online (EmpireDirect ws cheapest I think) bought from a local HiFi shop for £800 including 5-year warranty.

Do you mean the Cube-style cabinet? Thought about it until I saw the price £350!!! The door is metal so how could the DVD, VCR etc be remote controlled - the cabiet door would have to be open all the time (or more money spent on a remote repeater!)

HTH

Rob

16. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barry is right,

The first impression is that the Sony is better, because it looks brighter, but if you pay attention, there is no detail on shaded areas, and the colours are not natural, not to mention the tweaking with some settings, and connections, in department stores, trying to make it look better...