1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Xelos and 100hz

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by js, Mar 6, 2002.

1. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've finally got Debenhams to at least agree to swap my problematic Panny 28PL1 for a Loewe Xelos.
    I've seen these in action both in stores and at my friend's house but there is one thing that worries me slightly.
    I can handle the minor smearing that sometimes happens etc but the really downer for me is the artefacts/pixellation type look, more apparent with DVDs I assume because of the compression?
    The picture would be absolutely stunning/perfect if it weren't for this.
    Is it something that can be reduced or even disappear with the right settings on this TV. I've noticed this with every 100hz set i've seen whatever make. Is it something the 100hz purchasers forget after watching so long. It reminds me of watching half way decent video files (of whatever format) on a PC.

It will be used with Sony DVD 325, VCR, Sky dig or NTL when I get it soon and a Dreamcast.
    Thanks for any feedback.

2. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't watched that many DVD's on my Xelos yet but I have noticed that the default settings of my player (a Pioneer DV-626D) needed to be changed.

Settings such as detail level and digital noise reduction etc are now turned completley off. With a 50Hz set they were ok at the middle settings but with the Xelos they tend to make the picture grainier. I guess it's just one too many levels of digital processing.

That's the only thing I've noticed. I certainly haven't seen any pixellation or other artefacts. I suppose it possible that the sets you've seen had the older chassis?

It looks fine now, but like I said, I haven't watched that many of my DVD's yet.

3. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    Anyone know the easiest way to tell which chassis you have?
    My girlfriend ordered it today, so it won't be long before I have it.
    Even with these minor gripes I have with the pixellation that I have seen its still an amazing TV. If I had the cash I would have gone for the Aconda or whatever the new one is called. The Vitros looks like a nice set as well.

4. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's dead easy to tell:

1. It's an item under the main menu called something like 'TV Technical Data'

or

2. It's printed on the circuit diagram that come with it! Yeh, really, it comes with a circuit diagram!!

5. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again.
    Well details like that justify its price tag that little bit more :)

6. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Simbloke,
    where in the menu for the 626D can you change the detail level and digital noise reduction? :confused:

7. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whilst a dvd is playing you can press the 'video adjust' button (i think that's what it is called) and then move through a whole series of setting with the arrow buttons. You can press the 'display' button to see them all.

8. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks,
    I checked my remote after I posted my query. I didnt realise it had that function as I use my Pronto for my DVD.