1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Xelos A37 LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by clash33, Oct 31, 2005.

1. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Have seen a Loewe Xelos A37 LCD for £2,150 in a shop in my area (Leicestershire) has anyone read a review of this LCD or own one. It looks like a fine set! :lease:

2. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loewe quality...one of the best sets around, only surpassed by the spheros imo.

3. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've owned one for two month now and am very pleased indeed. mine has integrated dvb-t and dvb-s and I've paid €2510. as it uses a SHARP-panel, you can't really go wrong. it has huge amounts of contrast and very good blacks - I've come from a toshiba 32", and that was not nearly as good. another plus-point is the VERY minimal overscan - if you watch dvd, you'll never miss the sides again. however - if you use the scart-sockets ( and I do not ) you can't help but notice a high amount of noise reduction, that you cannot switch off. on the other hand you've got two component inputs ( one over vga ) and the all important hdmi-socket, which I use for dvd; my satellite-receiver is connected component - the noise reduction is not a problem there. this ( and any other current loewe lcd ) tv needs to be set up very carefully ( sharpness off, contrast very low ) and with a lot of patience - but once you're there, it will give you breathtaking pictures.
    I can really recommend it.
    kind regards
    thomas

4. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information Thomas, can you tell me if you get any motion blur with fast moving action, and how well does it deal with SD feed (Freeview)
    Thanks

5. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thomas

could you share your settings, and I will do the same (when I have checked them... :) ). Have spent a long time getting the TV set up, but with good quality signals, the picture is breathtaking :D

My only gripe is that you can't switch off noise reduction (or reduce it).

6. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found 2 reviews for the SL32 both gave it 5 stars. The down side was not good with analogue pictures, have you found this to be true?

7. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I don't watch too much analogue TV, but what I have seen of BBC the pictures are as good if not better than some of the lesser SKY digi pictures. Good quality SKY pics are awesome though.

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The SL and A series are two very different units.

The SL is the older version with external media box - exactly the same media box as in the Spheros so apart from optics and sound, electronics wise it is the same as the Spheros. The SL is better equipped than the A series although it has DVI instead of HDMI.

The A series is an integrated unit. Bits from the SL have been left out to get it to fit in the single box and to cut costs.

Unlike Xelos SL and Spheros, there seems to be electronic differences between the Xelos A and the Spheros R.

I have a 32" SL. It is more than acceptable with analogue when feed a decent signal. I wouldn't mind betting that with a good quality feed, analogue in this set beats digital on other displays. But with Freeview, even via a composite input, it is very natural and, IMHO, its picture still beats most/all or the new boys on the block. The cheaper units available today, from a variety of manufacturers, seem to have had corners cut in pursuit of price. Loewe UK still rate the SL over the 'A' series.

9. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a look around the internet and the SL appears to be £1000 more than an "A". Is it that much better :eek:

10. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Its the price for the external media box. Expandability such as harddisc (DR+), dolby digital decoding, d-sat/d-tv decoder, home automation control etc etc etc. Built-in as standard it accepts and decodes digital audio (as far as I am aware the A series only passes it through) has built-in photo reader etc etc.

As for the cost difference, the RRP difference between 32" and 37" SL was about £1000. I have seen a 32" SL for £1995 at my local JL ... that would equate to a 37" at £3k but I would like to think that the £1k difference in screen size is much smaller now. Also, what spec is the SL that you saw. There are many options available for it so they come in a variety of specs. Not as many as the Spheros though.

But no, probably not worth the £1k cost dfference unless you want an external media box, expandability such as DR+ and simplified cabling for wall mounting. But if there was a Spheros at £1k difference, I would say that the difference was worth it.

11. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry about the delay
    motion blur is not apparent over hdmi or component - anything else is another story; analogue signals are really unwatchable, sd over component is fine. this television is geared up for high definition - I've found dvd over hdmi to be very acceptable.
    here are my settings:
    picture adjustment ( back light ): soft
    sharpness: 1
    dmm and amd: off
    contrast: 4
    color: 9
    brightness: 9
    for watching dvd I had to adjust the denons brightness way up to +9. if your dvd-player is not adjustable, then the loewes brightness has to go up to +10; remember: the loewe-settings are for all inputs, which is a shame at this price point.
    very kind regards
    thomas