1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Xelos A32 - Poor Black Levels... Advice needed

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by TJay, May 13, 2005.

1. TJay

TJay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am new owner of a Xelos A32, which gives great pictures in all but one area... It's black, or should I say grey, levels.

No matter what settings I use, when watching a dark screen, the black levels appear grey, as though the backlight is turned up high.

Is this normal for a Loewe LCD, or should I be asking for a replacement? There doesn't appear a setting for turning down the backlight... :(

Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    See my other reply to your question in a different post. Its a fault with LCDs in general althought future displays may have newer backlight technology to reduce the brightness of the backlight over a smaller area.

3. plasmosis

plasmosis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello TJay and everyone,

Jus got a xelos a32 here as well and well pleased with the pq. I am no expert and am still experimenting with the settings. I find the blacks very black in my opinion though i have not tried watching in a darkened room. May be its because i only set the brightness to bout half and contrast at less than half. I found setting the picture adjustment to soft helps make the picture 'less bright'. Perhaps this soft setting will help your 'grey blacks'??

I have two queries which i hope perhaps you or any one can give me advice on. The problem i find with my lcd is that the tv keeps changing the pictire format from 16:9 to panaroma and occasionally zoom on its own esp when i switch between channels on sky itself. I am using a normal sky box via rgb scart. I am just wondering if this is normal as its frustrating having to change the format frequently.

The second problem is that when i switch the tv off (not sleep) and switch it on again, all my picture adjustments such as contrast and brightness change!!! with contrats at nearly maximum!!!! Its doesnt change when i leave it at stand by though... !!!

Could anyone tell me if what i am experiencing is normal????

Sorry for the long post. Cheers

4. TJay

TJay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By default, the TV automatically detects a 16:9 signal and will always switch over to that. When not viewing a 16:9 signal, it will switch back to your default picture mode, which will be panaroma. (You can always disable this switching feature if you wish)

You can specify what default format your screen is in, when it is not viewing a 16:9 screen, e.g. set it to 4:3 when you're not viewing a 16:9 signal. It should then switch between 16:9 & 4:3 (or whatever mode you choose).

About your second query, you can store your personal settings using the 'Personal/factory values' button on your remote. This will allow you store (& subsequently) use your own personal settings.

About the 'grey' levels... It it my understanding that LCD TVs work best when there is plenty of ambient light in the room, and during the day the PQ is a treat to watch. But at night, when ambient light falls dramatically, the backlight of the TV drowns out any blacks, because there is very little light in the room itself.

See the following post on why LCDs look better in daylight...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210539&highlight=lcd+backlight