1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Xelos A32 LCD Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Phil from 62, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Phil from 62

Phil from 62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :nono: Forget your Panny's, your JVC's, your Hitachi's, your Sony's and your Philips....come and tell what you think of Loewe LCD...especially the A32 or A26.

:thumbsup:

I shall start.....
    I have just recently bought the Xelos A32, in Black with a Digital Tuner. I'm playing the ARCAM DV88 DVD through it, on Component, with the ARCAM AVR100 Surround Sound Amp, Telewest Digital Cable and Ruark Sabre Speakers (currently still Stereo...Damn it!!!).

The picture quality through regular TV was even better than I expected (and even remembered from the demo), the Digital TV signal is again excellent. Vibrant colours, great definition and hardly any motion blur. Live Football looks great.

This LCD comes into a whole new dimension with DVD though, its like the picture comes alive in the room.

Another big plus for this screen is the sound it produces from its own speakers...absolutely fantastic.

The remote and navigation gets a bit of getting used to...but thats half the fun of getting something new.

I would think this LCD is up there with the best of the Best of 32" Screens and a very hard act to follow.

Ohh!! and by the way I got mine from Rayleigh Hi fi, in Southend, Essex with 12 Months interest free Credit.

2. 4th Horseman

4th Horseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont you think the Loewe is just set too sharp (the picture)? even when reducing sharpness to 1, i still got shadows cause of too much sharpness. please try a test disc via comonent progressive and look on some gray screens . you will find vertical "stripes" in the picture cause of the sharpness. or is my set defective?
    on hdmi i dont see them just on the analog inputs and only on progressive. Strange.

3. Phil from 62

Phil from 62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry...no probs here. I have tried most settings, inputs and modes on this LCD (except HDMI) and I'm always impressed with what I see.

What DVD player are you using?

4. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As with all LCDs it takes a bit of time to get the colours and brightness/contrast/sharpness to just the way you want it - but once set up it is superb.

normal tv fed from sky+ thru rbg scart
    samsung 850 dvd fed thru hdmi

dvd is awesome, tv is great , but average on poor quality such as BBC news outside broadcast, or Motors tv.

even tried connecting my Dell Inspiron 5160 to the vga and played a hd file thru the tv, this looked superb but the laptop is not quite up to the job and struggled a bit.

Build quality is up with the best of them

Menus are a bit of a pain in the backside, as some options do not appear all the time - for instance, switching between Dolby Virtual and stereo , sometimes I can find the option , sometimes not - I think it only appears if the source is capable of being 'dolbied'

Small things make this set nice, like putting to standby doesnt just go blank, it closes a set of curtains from either side.

Sound via the tv can be cranked up nice and loud with no distortion, also there is a maximum setting in the menus so that little fingers cannot set the sound too loud for your neighbours.

Marc

5. Phil from 62

Phil from 62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on you Xelos owners we know you are there....let people know there is another choice other than the normal high street names...

6. Phil from 62

Phil from 62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I will sing this LCD's praises....XELOS A32 that is...

Watching Football on SKY (via Cable) is excellent...motion blur practically non existent.

This is a very impressive LCD...not cheap...but you get what you pay for.

Anyone looking for a decent 32" LCD you have got to give this a look...and remember to get a proper demo.

7. wee_pete

wee_pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have to agree guys the Xelos LCD's are awesome. I had a 32" Vitros that I sold recently and used the proceeds at John Lewis for the A26.

PQ is great as is the sound that it produces. My missus likes the music channels and with the bass and treble it sounded superb.

Managed to get a decent deal at JL £1125 which included a 5yr guarantee. I would like to know if anyone has any experiences of having Loewe upgrades. My A26 isn't digital so I have to use a set top box. Can i get it intergrated, also if I want to link up my PC do I need any upgrades of does it just slot in?

Most annoying thing for me is that I have to use a seperate control to change channels when watching digital. Is there anyway around this?

All in all a great set which will look even better when I get it on the wall. Does anyone know where I can get the WM52 wall bracket from or can I use a different one?

Thanks

Pete

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Pete.

I have the D-TV/D-Sat adaptor on my Xelos SL. I don't think that the one on the 'A' series is the same - from what I recall it does not have the (in my case unused) D-Sat option and is cheaper. However, like the SL series adaptor, it is not a specifically Freeview adaptor, just a D-TV adaptor. Whilst it can pick up freeview signals, it cannot do interactive features such as news multiscreen and digital text - but it does do the EPG. I also believe that, like the SL version, it only has one tuner/decoder, so PIP will only do 1 digital + 1 analogue/external.

To be honest, at the price I paid for mine, I would nolonger go for the integrated option if I had to choose again. The quality is very good, but cheaper options are available. Also, the ability to, on the SL at least, to force RGB external input on any selected channel means that an STB can take priority over any of the built-in channels so all you need the TV remote for is volume.

As for the wall bracket, if it is like the SL, and I believe that the part number is the same, it is a propritory mount so you would not beable to use another make. It is a fixed mount but makes use of the friction tilt mechanism built in to Loewe - is will not swivel and is a fixed distance from the wall. I have posted pictures of my mount here. I got mine direct from Linn at Harrods who, as the UK Loewe distributers were able to source the item cheaper than anywhere that I foind on the Internet - delivery was direct from Germany and took about 3 weeks, cost approx £70. The mount is very big and very heavy.

-Ian

9. laurad

laurad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a loewe Xelos A 32 too. :D
    I'm very happy because PQ is excellent and sound very good.
    I attached my Digital SetTopBox on Av1 and my pioneer dcs 525 on Av2.
    I haven't tried it with HD signals (through HDMI) or YUV.. maybe at christmas I'll buy a denon with HDMI...
    But I have a question which I can't find the answer.
    My colors on analogue TV are good and much more high than Digital SetTopBox. I'd like to set personal colors for AV1 but only for it, bacause the color on analogue tv is ok.
    Is it possible? :confused:
    It would be very useful.

Cheers

Laura

10. OMA

OMA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the Xelos A32, and I think levels can't be set separately for each source.

Maybe the lack of vivid colors is because your set-top box is hooked to the TV using analogue SCART, but don't really know.

I have a digital satellite TV set-top box also hooked with SCART and while the colors are ok, the picture is blurrier than with standard analogue TV, which has a lot better picture quality. I think that's because it uses SCART and thus the set-top box converts the digital TV signal into analogue to be then fed through euro-connector (SCART) and then the TV converts again the analogue signal to digital so it can be displayed in the LCD screen. I have no other means of connecting the set-top box to the TV so the picture suffers from this double conversion. Maybe this is related to your colors problem...

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If its anything like its big brother the SL, you can set the picture levels on a per type - ie component, DVI/HDMI, RGB and presumably composite and s-video. The builtin tuner is treated as RGB. So adjustments to component will not affect RGB SCART or DVI etc.

With DVI on the SL, the picture settings even appear to be on a input resolution/timing too. So you can have different picture settings for 1080i and 720p. I think.

12. gilesme

gilesme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got a Loewe Aconda in the lounge. Wifey wanted an LCD in the conservatory - I suggested a Panny, but she said to go for the A26, as I'd only regret it later ! She opined that if I'd gone for a Panny instead of the Aconda I'd probably have replaced it already....

Sound is superb - looks good also. Didn't like the look of the concept at all.