1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Xelos A32 and Sharp 32GD7E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Sunrunner, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Sunrunner

Sunrunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

I am a bit stuck at the moment as to which screen would be best between the Loewe Xelos A32 and Sharp 32GD7E. I know there's a certain amount of crossover between the two with Sharp providing Loewe panels and Loewe helping with picture processing.

What I'd really like to know is other than the fairly large increase in price, what are the actual differences between the two screens.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Sunrunner

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Loewe Xelos A32 is a cutdoown version of the Xelos SL. The Xelos SL ran rings around the Sharp 32GD1E especially when fed poor quality input and the RRP was identical. The SL is also viewed by Loewe as still being the better model even though it is a generation older - so newer does not automatically mean better.

Assuming that the 32GD7E is the GD1E replacement, I would say that, unless the GD7E is a backward step, and since it has benefited from some Loewe technology in the interim I don't think that this will be the case, its going to be a mighty close thing between the Xelos A and GD7E.

I suspect however that inside, there will be more of a resemblence between the Xelos A and GD7E and the only differences will be in the aethestics and the support from two very different type of companies.

3. Sunrunner

Sunrunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would you say that the difference is worth ~£400.

I really like the look of the Loewe, but to be honest if the only difference is the casing, I'll probably plum for the Sharp. Most important to me is the picture quality to be honest.

Suppose what I really need to do is view the Loewe and compare it to the Sharp. Seen the Sharp already but due to the very iffy feeds didn't get a real feel for its quality.

Thanks for the help

4. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you are expecting to use the sound thru the tv speakers then the Loewe is particulary good in terms of sound reproduction. the speakers can be turned up very high with no distortion - they have maximum settings to prevent any damage to your relationship with your neighbours , the a32 contains 3 speakers , left and right and centre, the centre can be used by an AV amp if you decide to use a separate AV amp.

a32 all tend to come with digital tuners now (check with the retailer first!) - apparently the extra cost of digital over analogue was not worth the hassle at the factory, so even if you specify analogue, you get digital anyway.

Guess part of the £400 difference is the name, but the build quality is first class, the tv is a bit quirky , the menus are like nothing else, on screen help and I particularly like the 'closing curtain' effect when you put the tv in standby (small things !)

Marc