1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Xelos 32 LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PDL2, Nov 4, 2004.

1. PDL2

PDL2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been playing around with the picture settings but I am still undecided on the best set-up. I would be interested to know from other owners their current set-up.

Any help appreciated !

P.S. - Has anyone received their free Loewe DVD recorder yet ? I am still waiting for mine and have had the TV for around 3 weeks.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Right on cue...

I just had a third attempt at calibrating using DVE. The stumbling block for me was:

1. With HDMI->DVI input, below black pluge was clipped. Its fine on component.
    2. Can't get green to balance. Blue and red are spot on. And im not willing to muck around with the service menu.
    3. Couldn't fathom contrast, but tried an alternative method today which seems to have worked with digital input, but not so sucessful with component input.

I have not tried any real viewing just yet, so may be subject to change, but with DVE test demonstrations, DVI looked great and component was not as good as DVI.

My settings:
    720p HDMI->DVI
    Contrast:48
    Colour: 36
    Brightness: 26

567i Component (Progressive mode) Auto mode is far worse picture.
    Contrast:48 - bit of guess work going on with this one
    Colour: 35
    Brightness: 22

I still havn't got my DVD recorder yet. I ordered early Spetember and received it I think on the 20th Sep so would be fairly close to the front of the queue, but still no sign. I've been told that they were held up in quality control, which doesn't sound good but had started to come through now. I think my will be supplied through the installer which may add further delay.

Talking of adjustments. Im confused by what adjustment stays with what, ie aspect ratio, colour etc. Im convinced that some values stay with the input, whilst others seem to change without warning. Maybe they go with the input and input format?

Have you also got the DTV/DSat tuner? If so, have you picked up ABC1 yet. Its there on my Pace box, but no matter what time of day I try and tune it in, ABC1 will not appear. I've even done a full reinstall. ITV3 appeared fine so im not doing anything wrong, I think. The other trick is with Teletext. Whilst digital text it is not available with the DTV option, old style text is. I just found out that when watching a DTV channel, if you hit Text (for old style text) then press channel up, I get BBC1, channel up again, BBC2 etc. I much prefer this to the DTV text especially since it caches 2500 pages or so and access per page and sub page is direct and pretty much instant.

-Ian

3. PDL2

PDL2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian for the info.

Also in regard to the settings,

have you got DMI or DMN switched on ?

What about the sharpness setting ?

As I use the LCD mainly for tv, what about the setting (I forget what it's called) for eliminating interference on the incoming tv signal. Does it work ? Is it worth switching on or not ?

I didn't pay for the DTV option (I couldn't work out whether it was worth £250) and instead linked it to a panasonic digibox. I picked up ABC1 without any problems.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I've got DNC on for external Pace box and inbuilt analogue tuner off for internal Dtv tuner. I suspect that I will turn this off for my Pace Freeview box ultimately. To be honest, I can't really see much of a difference though. Analogue input is, apart from ghosting, very good.

How I read DMI and DMM is that DMM is the same as DMI but it does films too. So I have DMM on. However, I suspect it should be DMM for film material and DMI for electronic sources.

I have sharpness dependant on the quality of the source. For digitial in, I have it at 5 (max sharpness) but for TV I have it at 3. I think my component input is 3 also, but it may be 5. When I first got it, I had sharpness at 1, which works well with highlt compressed sources, but now I am less critical of the picture, ie I sit at the normal viewing distance, 3 appears fine.

I don't know if you use the component input, but auto mode (and probably SD mode) can be awful compared to progressive and HD mode. Progressive works fine even though I input a interlaced source. The only irritation that I have is that in VGA geometry, the phase seems to default to 5 and I get verticle jitter. I have to manually change this to 4 or less to make the picture stable.

I always keep aspect ratio at 16:9.

Have you tried a PS2 via component? I get a border irrespective of the aspect ratio setting (16:9/original), although I can zoom it out.

Part of me wishes I had not gone for the DR+/DTv options. The idea was to replace my Pace twin recorder, but having had two digital tuners for such a while, we tend to watch the Pace box more. I guess its an expensive way to record two digital channels at once! I do like the EPG though but wish channel ordering could be more intuitive.

-Ian

5. PDL2

PDL2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian

Thanks again for the info. I will play around with the settings again tonight and see how it looks. Am I going mad or do you have to save the new settings after making changes. I ask this as some changes seem to be saved automatically and others are not.

What is the PQ like on your analogue/digital TV channels ? The PQ on the digital channels via the Panasonic digibox are very good but I seem to suffer from quite a bit of digital interference (once every half hour or so on a good night). Is this normal ?

I am not that up on connections to an LCD. When the TV was installed, the TV was connected to a loan Panasonic DVD recorder via RGB scart. I understand that this is only an average connection. Would an upgrade to component be worth while ?
    Also, is there any way to improve the PQ while watching TV. I take it that the cabling out of the external digibox to the tuner-box is via a scart cable. Can this be improved ?

Finally, are you happy with Xelos ? I

6. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the dvd should arrive the same time as the tv

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Horah! My DVD recorder is coming this afternoon. Over a month and a half after I received the set.

Am I happy with my Xelos? 95% yes, when I see 1366x768@50 from my DVD player I will be 98% happy. Picture quality is FAB but I have a few niggles, mainly due to DTv tuner and HD recorder operation.

However I am a bit nervous with how the DVD recorder will connect up since I already have an external Freeview recorder using RGB SCART and it appears that the DVD recorder needs a fully wired SCART for full compatibility with the Xelos. I can't see that a DVD recorder specifically designed for the TV can use up the only RGB SCART socket. I don't think that I can connect my Pace RGB to the component input in RGB mode as I will be missing synch. I realise that SCART can be daisy chained, but I want to beable to watch the external Pace box when I am using the DVD recorder and I don't know if this is possible when daisy chaining.

Also, did you receive a 'sock' to tidy the cables between media box/panel, a IR sensor for the IR Link or the allen key for the stand. I have none of these even though they are mentioned in the manuals. Im wondering if they went along with the box when the installer took it away. If so, im asking for them back.

-Ian

8. PDL2

PDL2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news about the DVD recorder. Lets hope it is worth the wait ! Keep me informed about how you finally connect it up.

I received the sock but not the IR sensor and allen key. I bought the additional xelos stand (which came already put together) and so I don't know if the allen key was required by the installers. I still have the original stand in it's wrapping and so it may be in there.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I decided to set the box up myself. As I understand it it is an LG unit repackaged for Loewe. It certailny on the outside appears up to the very high build standard that the Loewe Xelos is.

The box has two SCARTS (AV1/AV2) so the idea is to connect the set top box to one of these (AV2) and the TV to the other (AV1). An alternative is to switch loose the Scart->TV (AV1) lead and use the 3 RCA component output. Its either/or. I don't know whether SCARTs are RGB in - I think they may be, or whether choosing component out makes you loose the digital link and AV1 input. There is also 2 digital outputs, one optical, the other RCA :thumbsup: Continuing on the rear, an s-video out, RF in/out, composite video/analogue audio in (AV3), composite video/analogue audio out. On the front, there is s-video or composite and analogue stereo audio in (AV4), plus a 4 pin DV (i-link) socket (DV) plus 3:1 memory card reader for MS (pro?), MMC and SD - these can read Jpeg and play MP3.

I needed to do a reconfigure of the inputs and select digital link between the two. Initially language was German and took a few key presses to find UK. You start of on autotune selecting the country and my German wasn't good enough to differentiate this from country selection which appears on a different menu. There was no channel list for UK so I chose other. If you use Digital link, channels are down loaded from the TV, but not any digital ones. Which left my channels up in the 30's for channel numbers. In the end, I decided on a manual tune and manually had to re enable digital link. Not sure if this will be a problem. It would have been nice to beable to select a digital channel on the DVD recorder and have it use the TV DTV decoder.

The unit is supplied with a single DVD-RW disc which I experimented with. Initially it was a bit ghastly since I did record current program whilst watching my Pace box. The recorder promptly selected AV1 (TV) and I got feedback. It would have been useful for the TV to detect the situation whereby you want to record from the same source that the DVD recorder is on and select AV2 from the recorder instead. Archiving the the Xelos DR+ Harddisc recorder is probably not as simple as I would have liked. You need to create a timed recording selecting the DR+ archive as the source and DVD Rec as the destination. Its quite simple to do, but the default timings start the recording a few minutes into the future rather than immediately. I also do not know if it is possible to schedule multiple archives to play contiguously [edit: yes it is but not convinced that you have much control over the ordering they are archived]. Being use the the Pace Twin freeview recorder, the DR+ is an area where I think Loewe could have done a better job at the user interface.

The other issue is that, for some reason, I can not set clock set at automatic. To be honest, the number of times that I will use it for timed recordings will be limited.

Initial impressions were how quick the unit was. I was worried that the initial format of the DVD-RW disc was going to take tens of minutes, but it probably took no more than 20 seconds. In use, with DVD-RW in VR mode at least, it is very VCR like. Each new recording creates a new title which I think you can later edit.

I think that I have sussed the connections but not 100% ideal.

Pace (RGB Scart) -> (RGB Scart) DVD recorder (RGB Scart) <-> TV (RGB Scart)

and

Pace (Archive SCART/composite) -> (composite) VCR (composite) <-> TV (composite SCART)

I think that this will also allow me to archive old VCR tapes to DVD. Ther only thing that I will not beable to do is to watch Pace box whilst archiving from TV harddisc to DVD.

BTW. I now have my 'sock' and allen key. It does appear that, contrary to the manual, the IR eye, to control other hidden equipment from the IR eye of the display panel, is not supplied with the Xelos, but with the Spheros only.

-Ian

10. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hmmm, hit a problem...

When viewing Pace Twin box via DVD recorder (RGB Scart) but cable as supplied (ie cheap and cheerful) I get severe ghosting/tearing of whites to the right of the source of the white. It doesn't happen all the time, can be cleared by repeatidly selecting a different AV input on the DVD recorder. Sometimes this is also enought to trigger it, but it can appear on its own. Oddly, when this happens, the AV input doesn't seem to react until I hit 'end'. I also get occasional odd behaviour when selecting on screen display functions on the Pace box. Hitting library was changing the AV input on the DVD recorder.

I've seen the tearing before, in the early days of getting the set. I thought it was linked to selecting RGB and/or switching voltage in the AV setup, but this appears to have no effect. However, it does look like it may be related to the function of the switching voltage or the Xelos synching up with the picture as the point that ghosting appears is when the Xelos is choosing its aspect ratio settings.

-Ian

BTW. The Archive SCART of the Pace is not yet connected. So connection is simply:

PACE Twin (RGB Scart) -> (AV2 SCART) DVD recorder (AV1 SCART RGB) <-> (RGB SCART) Loewe Xelos

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I've got a call out with Linn Sight, but still no response to the problem above or the issue with their DTV tuners not picking up ABC1.

The smearing issue is interesting. When using PIP of the same source throught the same leads and the same input at the same time, the TV view is smeared, the PIP pane is perfect. This indicates that there is no problem with the Pace box or the DVD recorder, but something wrong within the Loewe Xelos media box.

I will be forwarding this information onto Linn Sight soon.

-Ian

Attached Files: