1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Vitros - Sync Problems With Pioneer 656

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Buckster, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    I recently upgraded from a Pioneer 535 to a 656. I've been amazed at the difference in picture quality, but was having a problem with one of my DVDs - We Were Soldiers (R1). At the start of chapter 2, and at frequent points in the DVD (always the same points though), I completely loose the picture, sound continues, TV comes up with no input. The loss of picture would normally last up to 30 seconds or so, this was with RGB input.

Bought a QED AV2910 at the weekend - set TV to Component sync on CVBS and get the same problem but loss of picture only lasts 1-2 seconds. Then changed to Component sync on Y and I don't get any problems at all.

Two questions:

(1) Why would this be a problem on only 1 DVD ? I have about 100 DVDs, 20 of which are R1 and it doesn't happen on any others.

(2) Why did the DVD work perfectly on the 535 ??

I'm presuming its something to do with the sync signal the 656 is sending, any ideas anyone ?

I've noticed going from RGB to Component that the picture is definately sharper, but colour not quite so good. Component sync on CVBS definately seems better than sync on Y.

Thanks for any help,

Best Regards, Mark.

2. chrismoore

chrismoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure I've read about this before on this problem. Apparently its to do with R1 discs with sync on cvbs, with sync on Y it should not be a problem. Also if you have sync on cvbs I think you are receiving a composite signal. The member who would know is Groundy I think it was a conversation between him and Low rider . I will be receiving my Vitros 2500 this Saturday so in a few weeks time I will be a lot more knowlegeable on Loewe

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As Chris has outlined - don't worry about this problem. It's really to do with the DVD Player itself and how it outputs Composite in conjunction with Component. Some players do it, some don't. I think the problem primarily occurs because some DVD Players will be outputting the Sync on Green (Y) automatically. So if you opt for Sync on CVBS on the Loewe, your DVD player might not be outputting the CVBS signal to full strength, or you may be getting dual sync signals, i.e., from Green (Y) and CVBS (Composite).

As to why it only occurs on one DVD, if you investigate further you will find this is not the case. It will most likely occur on loads of DVD's at intermittant points - PAL discs included. However my current DVD player has no problems using Sync on CVBS. I still set the Aconda to Sync from Y though.

Just set your Loewe AV3 to YUV Sync on Y and never give it a second thought :). The AV2910 is a great cable by the way.

4. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Thanks for the replies, have now set it to Sync on Y. Still think that the colours on RGB were better (via a 1m QED Sqart), but Component does seem a fair bit sharper.

Any particular reason why the colours would be not so vivid ?

Mark.

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,

Component is not always better than RGB. This depends on the DVD Player and TV. If you thought RGB was noticably better, then use it. I know I would :).

6. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    I'm pretty sure component is better, certainly much sharper than RGB was, colour can be compensated by increasing colour setting on TV.

Was having the sync problems with the RGB cable !, whole chapters of We Were Soldiers R1 would not have any picture.

Mark.