1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Vitros - Staining Problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by steevo, Jul 2, 2002.

1. steevo

steevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a Loewe Vitros from Kendalls in Manchester and soon noticed what can only be described as a staining on the bottom left hand side of the screen - most noticeable on the white band used for Sky Sports News.

Today, following a call to the shop, who have been most helpful, I had a brand new replacement arrive which is suffering from exactly the same symptoms. (BTW - I have moved my speakers away from the set and also had the screen de-gauzed).

On the whole I have been delighted with the set and it is quite frustrating, as this was the only fault I could find in what is otherwise a fantastic display.

Has anyone else with a Vitros or Acconda has suffered similar quality problems, if so, I would really appreciate any advice you may have for resolving this problem.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    steevo,
    When I had my 9381ZW delivered it was unpacked near my Mission 753 speakers. Although a good four feet from the television, the fact they were not magnetically shielded had caused staining. If the screen is blue mute, yellow and red patches were evident.
    I moved the speakers even further away, and had an engineer call with his mains powered whizzing de-gausser. The built in set de-gausser wasn't powerful enough to do the trick, but by moving the speakers and having the engineer visit it's been fine since.

3. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez, how far away do speakers have to be. Mine are only a few inches!!!

Loewe Vitros owner.

4. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    My Vitros has very minor blue staining, although only visible on white backgrounds, in a 3" patch in the bottom right corner.
    I also exposed the screen to unshielded speakers initially, although the internal de-gaussing more or less cleared it up.
    I'm thinking that the problem( very minor) that I have is caused by something else.
    Now, there's something in the service menu called "White Drive", but I'm a bit wary about messing with it.
    Anybody got any ideas what it does?

Kev

5. steevo

steevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the feedback - I have tried moving the speakers further away and it is quite clear to me now that they are not connected to the problem.

It would appear that the symptoms are the same as that described by Kev, so would be equally interested to find out what 'White Drive' means - in fact I'm also keen to find out how to get into the service menu in the first place?

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Obviously, you have had the television properly de-gaussed, and realise the "staining" remains even after moving the speakers sufficiently far away, until this is done. Apologies if you know already.
    The service menu... if you venture in there, make a note of all settings, it's a new set, best advice is simply have the engineer call. Service menu interlopers are charged for remedial work, usually.
    White drive shouldn't need variation from factory default.

7. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed something on my new Vitros - not quite the same but similar. If I look at a plain grey screen, I can see faint blotches all over it that look for all the world like damp spots on the inside. Over time they slowly move around and change shape, as if evaporating and recondensing. Bit like watching a lava lamp. Does this ring any bells? I have no speakers (yet ;) ). Does the built-in de-gausser operate every time the set is switched on?