1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Vitros Screen Quality Problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Coley, May 21, 2002.

1. Coley

Coley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a new Loewe Vitros 32" TV which is a lovely set. But I have a few niggles with regard to the screen quality.

A few things:-

1. The bottom right corner area of the screen (about 15-20% of the screen) has a blue stain which is most apparent when bright white is displayed. The stain is very deep in the bottom rightmost corner and gradually fades towards the middle of the tube.

2. The top left area of the screen is faintly reddish, similar to the
    problem as above, but not so severe.

3. The right hand half of the screen is a shade darker than the left. This
    is most noticeable in teletext mode, and is quite distracting.

---

OK, I called an engineer out, and he said there was a fault with the convergence (whatever that is)...

But he implied that this was normal, and within the expected performance of the set.

He also said that I sit too close to the screen and should be at least 4 metres back......(this is stupid, because Im complaining about colour problems, not blocky resolution or something)

The engineer said he would "try" and replace the TV if poss, but wouldnt guarantee a replacement...

--

So whats your opinions, am i expecting too much, am i being over sensitive ?

I paid more for the Loewe and expected better..... if I paid 300 quid for a cheapy tv from Tesco, I wouldnt mind about the problems so much......

Oh well there you go....

Maybe others have had similar experiences...

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The first and second problems could be non-shielded speakers near the TV...

3. Coley

Coley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I should have mentioned. There are no magnetic sources nearby.

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    the discolouration copuld be due to magnetic fields, i.e. leaking speakers or simply built up. If it's there all the time then that sounds bad. Have you tried to degaus the set, should be a button setting for this. Or try unpluging the set from the wall and leaving it be for at least 8 hours. Too high a contrast can cause purity issues. But if you've got that light one side and dark the other that does sound like a nightmare.
    The engineer, surprise, surprise, sounds like another helpful member of the tribe that are.
    I don't think you're being unreasonable in the least. Either he should attempt a repair or recommend a replacement. Depending on how long you've had it you could try a refund - particularly if bought with a credit card, let them argue for you if necessary -, though usually you're expected to let the engineer have a go first. If he fails press hard.

5. Coley

Coley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV is two weeks old.

I have tried switching off and unplugging the set to try and de-gauss but this has no effect :eek:(

6. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If my Loewe Aconda had those kind of problems I would demand an immediate replacement. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all!!

Just my two cents! ;)

7. Coley

Coley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I have returned the set for a refund :eek:(

8. belfry24

belfry24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to buy the Vitros !!! Have you replaced it with the same, if so is it any better or would you recormend something else now.

9. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is not acceptable, don't let it drag on insist on a change now, it looks like it is not fit for the job it was intended for, tell them youre getting on to trading standards then do it if you can't get satisfaction.

10. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have heard of a member in this forum having the same problem with a Loewe Aconda. In that instance the shop replaced the faulty set and he is now very happy with the replacement.

11. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Whats going on with Loewe?
    Perhaps they are having trouble keeping up with demand.
    I hope they get it sorted pronto or there high end image is going to start to slip.
    I have owned a Aconda for a few years now and can see myself only buying Loewe in the future.
    Gary

12. Coley

Coley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Belfry,

Despite the problem I had with my Vitros, I would not hesitate in recommeding it to anyone. It is head and shoulders above the pack. Its pure class to look at and operate. It oozes quality.

Just make sure you buy from a shop with decent aftersales service.

Good luck !

13. Hogarty3

Hogarty3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have just tried to buy a Loewe Vitros 28 inch and have been told "they have been subject to a recall and the new batch will be available in June / July 02"
    Reading your notes I wonder if your set may have also been affected even though its a 32in
    Just a thought!