1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Vitros & Pioneer DV545

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Skid Solo, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe both the Loewe Vitros and Pioneer DV545 are fitted with Component Video connections, (I have just purchased both units and I am waiting for delivery).
    Should I therefore connect the DV545 to the Vitros utilising RGB or Component video (via AV3), which will give me best picture?

Thus on a second note I also need to connect a NTL Digital box, which I was planning to do via AV2 and a vcr via AV1.

I also have to connect a PS2 which I was hoping to connect via the DV545 (RGB Thru) however if I opt for a Component video connection which this option still work or will I have to continuosly change the set up on the AV3.

Any advice would be appreciated as I would like to connect the above equipment over the weekend and am at a loss of which cables and conections will give me best results.

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component is way better as the TV will de-interlace the signal, but you will have to connect you PS2 to AV2 that also supports RGB, AV1 only supports S-video...

The other two... doesn´t your receiver have any video inputs ?

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will everyone please read this:

These facts are correct!

Loewe Vitros does not have component vid input (and cannot)

It has three scarts on the back and audio LR out (as standard)

S-Vid, composite, audio LR in on the front

You cannot send component to RGB scart

component and RGB scart have different voltages.

It does however work the other way, RGB Scart can be sent to component. But its dodgy!

The Vitros can however be upgraded to use VGA but it isn't RGB its for H,S,L,H,V, ie the computer type (**Hue, Saturation, Luminance, Horizontal, Vertical, ** I THINK).

Use a line doubler/scaler and send a prog scan signal through that into the VGA input. It costs peanuts to get VGA upgrade.

Oh and to however posted it the Vitros, Aconda are the same, but the Xelos and Planus give a better picture. I would advise anyone to do a side by side comparison.

Sorry got a little worked up over peoples differing advice and know this info to be acurate.
    Cheers ;-)

4. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm. I used to think the same as yourself, but looking on the Loewe web site, the technical specs of the Aconda say:

Euro-AV (video, audio) 3
    - S-VHS-, Hi8-capable 3
    - RGB-capable 2
    - input-ready component video 1

Now this reads to me that there are three scarts, two of which are RGB enabled and one which is component (?!?). This is obviously not component via three cables, but via a scart connection. Until recently I didn't think this was possible, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Lowrider, you seem to be saying that the Loewe will display a deinterlaced image for both PAL and NTSC material provided it is connected via a component (i.e. not RGB) scart connection.

Many people on this forum have said that their Acondas will only display Prog Scan for NTSC material. Assuming component can be output via Scart (again I didn't tink this was possible) is this because their players can only outputting component via scart for NTSC material? You say you are using the Arcam DV88. Does this player have an option to out put component via the Scart? If it does, are there any other players that can do this?

AFAIK, the Pioneer 545 doesn't have a Component three pin connection, but can it output component via Scart too.

I'm getting confused here. Yesterday i would have agreed totally with Michael, but there seems to be many posts on this forum that say the Lowe can take component via scart. Can anyone confirm, because if it does then new Loewe Aconda here I come :).

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AV3 will take component video, and some players, I know Arcam and Loewe, can output component video with a SCART plug, for the others you need a component to SCART cable.

As I said before, the players cannot do progressive scan on PAL because this will disable the copy protection, TVs can because you wont be able to record the resulting signal, it is only available internally...

I use a Chord SCART to SCART cable to connect my Arcam DV88 to the Loewe Vitros, and I do get Proscan working on PAL sources, I don´t have many NTSC DVDs anyway. The resulting image is clearly better, particularly the colours are richer, there is a lot more detail in the background and less flickering...

I called Loewe support in Portugal and they confirmed that it does as I am telling you...

Hope I could help :confused:

6. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lowrider :). Taking up your points, I went along to a local AV supplier in Bedford who also supplies Loewe equipment. The guy in there is always very helpful and I enquired about the Loewe progressive scan.

His response was that unfortunately I was wrong for the following reasons:

1. The Loewe can't input Component
    2. Component cannot be carried through Scart
    3. The Loewe can't do Prog scan anyway

However, being the kind chap he is, he agreed to phone Loewe whilst I was in the shop. To his amazement, they confirmed everything I said and he concured that I (or rather lowrider) was right on all counts. Swallowing his words he admitted he's never heard of such a thing and would was eager to try it out. I've therfore arranged a demo with the Vitros and an Arcam DV88 and other DVD players :).

Apparently, Loewe said on the phone that this feature is not publicised (god knows why) but it is available. They also said it only works with certain DVD players (ones that can output component via Scart I presume).

Interestingly, the specs of the Arcam say that it cannot output component via the Scart. Whether this is another "unpublicised" feature, I don't yet know :confused:.

Michael, you have a Vitros and a DV88 (unless you have just sold it) perhaps you could try it out? If you still want to sell your DV88, I might well be interested.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Pretty sure the Arcams can output Component through their scart sockets. Even if they,or your DVD can't you could get a 3 phono to scart lead made to go from DVD to TV anyway and try it.

Micahel Williams: RGB SCART can be sent to Component. Eh, can you explain what you mean here....?

VGA socket is RGBHV, that's Red, Green, Blue with horizontal and vertical syncs. Using a line doubler is not a useable method with this. Doubled PAL is not recognised by this input and the TV is not able to show it. I guess it's too high a bandwidth. A scaler set to VGA out may be an option if the TV can sync to a 50Hz 640 x 480 signal. I'm sure I posted about this in the past but I can't remember if it worked when I tried it or not. Our VGA board is on loan to a client just now so can't check.

I will attempt to wire up one of these component Scarts and see how our Aconda reacts. According to Lowrider I should see less interlaced video artifacts with both PAL and NTSC material than if I send it a standard RGB composite sync signal.

Gordon

8. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon. It seems a more and more that the Aconda/Vitros can display Prog scan from component sources.

Gordon, Would you possibly be able to try a few other DVD players to see if they can also output component via the Scart? I wonder if the Tosh 210 does? As lovely as the DV88 is, it's a bit more than I was hoping to spend if I end up buying the Aconda too :(.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This 'Loewe' debate seems to happen almost every week and people wonder why many of us didn't buy a Loewe. The amount of information / mis information on Loewe products is amazing. As I have said before (and been flamed for it) is if you are buying one of these TVs test EVERYTHING OUT that you want the TV to do.

Personally I got a great picture on Scart input with Arcam outputing component signals. VGA board is a must but not for DVD though. Not sure on the PS bit.

10. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did go someway back in the forums searching for Loewe threads and it seems that this set is more enigma than TV. However, I think we seem to be getting to the bottom of the prog scan issue (famous last words).

Nic, I saw your post about the Skyworth DVD player through the Loewe's VGA. As keen as I am to try this, there are a number of unanswered issues that leave me in some doubt, like didpalying PAL DVDs and adjusting the image. Unfortunately, demoing the Skyworth with a Loewe is going to be a bit difficult me thinks....

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I still think it might work and will be a get around the PAL / NTSC thing. The Skyworth will output a RGBHV signal just like a computer VGA signal. The VGA input module will treat the signal as a (progressive) input as if it from a PC (doesn't matter whether from USA or UK). Unfortunately two of the trickiest bits of kits to interface with others are Loewe and Skyworth. Could be the Killer combo however.........

He who dares wins....:D :D

Good luck

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Nic,

Unless the Skyworth downconverts 576Palprog to 480NTSCprog then I don't think it will work. The VGA socket on the back id just outputting both as rgbhv signals through the HD15 socket. I'm sure the Loewe won't sync to this on that input.

Gordon

13. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be wrong, but doesn't the Skyworth output Pal 60? I think this gives a 480p picture (I'm guessing a bit here).

I tempted to try it. If all fails then I'm sure I could sell the Skyworth at a reasonable price.

Nic, you mentioned in another post that the sound on the Skyworth wasn't as good as the Arcam. I would expect this given the price of the two respective units, but how does the sound compare to, say, the Pioneer 545 or similar units?

Sorry to ask all these questions, but I've got no way of demoing the Skyworth before I part with the readies.

14. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    On the contrary it states quite clearly in the Technical Information brochure from Loewe(available to everybody, you do not have to buy a set) under the heading "Connections" - "Euro-AV RGB-suitable/input-ready component video". Now if ppl do not know how to achieve this well this is a different matter and indeed is why forums like this one exist. I myself was a bit confused about this particularly as I had read things to the contrary but not from Loewe.

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Sounds great doesn't it? So easy, just look up the Technical sheet. Unfortunately these are often wrong (as was the case with the Loewe TVs when I was looking). Most of us have a cynical scepticism having had their fingers burned on this previously with other manufacturers. Easy speak to the Agents in the UK. They didn't know at the time. Speak to the dealers, they don't know either (as has been indicated here already a year on). Where does that leave us, well it leave Loewe with a less than clean reputation but a great TV, now what if something went wrong with the TV would you trust these guys to fix it if they even don't know what features it has?

Life isn't always as black and white as we perhaps might like, look at PS on NTSC / PAL issue on this TV. When I asked about it, they didn't know what it was, when I explained it they said it didn't have it!:(

If only everything in life was as easy to set up as a CRT projector...;)

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The skyworth will output 576p on RGBHV. Hasn't Jeff and co got 800 x 600 from HCPC on the VGA input at 60hz already on the Loewe?

17. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tech I spoke to at Loewe´s uses a Denon DVD, and made a component to SCART cable in order to use Proscan, he offered to make a cable for me, but as my Chord SCART works fine with the Arcam DV88, as it should, + 120 pounds... I will stick with it.

18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Pretty sure that Jeff hasn't got 600P on it...Jeff, Jeff where are you?........

Gordon