1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe VGA Card Fitting

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Gerbil, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just ordered a Loewe 9381 Aconda from John Lewis as a replacement for my Philips 9617 which had geometry problems.

I ordered the VGA card also which apparently costs £76, but according to JL, Loewe have quoted £65 to fit it.

Anbody here fitted their own? £65 fitting for a £76 part seems a trifle excessive if its like fitting a graphics card to a PC.

I've told John Lewis I'll fit it myself, but its not too late to change my mind if someone here has a horror story to tell

2. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I was told that if you can fit a card to a pc then you can fit the vga card to the Loewe. In fact I was told that it was like fitting extra memory to a pc, just slot it in.

So if you are confident, fit it yourself.

3. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would doing it yourself affect the warranty?

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fitting the VGA Card is an easy enough process. I did not fit my own but I stood over the engineer who did fit it. £65 for fitting seems extortionate as I only payed £85 all in inc fitting. If you have any PC installation experience it would not be a problem, in fact, you wouldn't really need this. Once fitted, you need to activate by going to the service menu and change two bits in the Option Bytes Menu. I can tell you what bits to change if you do decide to do it yourself.

As for warranty, I would imagine that fitting the card yourself would indeed affect your warranty but I doubt this would ever be questioned should something go wrong with the set in the future. In the unlikely event that the TV develops a fault, You could always remove the VGA Card and reset the service menu before reporting anything. ;)

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Someone is taking the ****. I saw the manual etc when playing with the VGA card the other day. It is not difficult. Do it yourself.

6. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for those replies.

I think thats confirmed it as a DIY job then!

I must admit I was a bit surprised when it came to £76 as its listed as 80 euros on the Loewe web site. Then when they said £65 for fitting I was even more gob smacked. Considering how much the TV costs over the 9617 I'm keen to save the extra cash. What price geometrical bliss though?

John Lewis are quoting a couple of weeks for delivery I've ordered the black one which apparently isn't a standard stock item for them.

I might be contacting you in a couple of weeks groundy for those option byte settings if that's OK.

Thanks again for the replies.