1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Tv's, Arcam DV88 and Prog Scan Questions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Matt Horne, Nov 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi...

After following the topics on these boards I have decided to ignore the 36" tellies as they seem to be causing nothing but heartache and go for a Loewe instead (not sure which model yet)

So I had a few questions I hope you can answer for me.

1. The Vitros/Anaconda - Are these the exact same tv except for the case ?

2. I have the DV88 DVD player which has component outputs (but not the Prog Scan module). Could someone clarify whether the Loewe Tv has the ability to produce ProgScan on NTSC Dvd's through component input..(therefore I woudl not need the Arcam module). My dealer knew nothing about this at all ?

As a further point, how do you know if it is working..is there a setting that needs to be turned on/off?

3. The Loewe Tv has a Scart socket which also takes component input. The arcam has both RGB and component outputs does anyone know if you can output the component via the RGB scart and therefore feed the Scart socket on the TV.. thereby freeing up the component inputs for my Gamecube?

4. Lastly where have ppl been buying there Tv's from ? What is a good price for these tv's ??

Thanks

Matt

2. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Matt.
    The Aconda can indeed Progscan Ntsc disks.
    It will do this when using scart 3.
    To change to 100htz you have to go
    in to the service menu.The difference is huge.
    As for feeding in a progscaned signal you will
    need the vga upgrade.
    When I spoke to Arcam at the Live show
    they had could not get there player to do this.yet.
    But are trying.
    Later
    Gary

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Matt

I would test this before you part with any cash, I think it will work but Loewe are the best at answering questions. Take the Arcam to the TV shop and play.

I think you will get component to Scart okay and the TV will do internal prog scan. Re an Arcam prog scan up grade you would need the VGA board but I am not sure how the timing works here with a RGB output feeding a RGBHV (VGA) input. This would be the best method if you can sort out the timing.

4. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Gary,
    Could you expand on the way to get Aconda to Progscan Ntsc disks and how I might update the 100Hrt setting in the Service Menu. I had thought to get the best from Ntsc disks I only had to use an RGB input and change the setting in the AV connections Menu to NTSC.
    Thanks.

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Damn.. now I am more confused than ever...

So to get Progscan working I wold have to get the VGA upgrade and then feed the source via the vga input rather than component input??

I wil ask arcam about whether I can get the comp output via the scart and see what they say.. and what will happen if you change the menu to 100htz if you are just feeding straight component into the Tv from the Dv88 ??? Would you get any picture ???

Thanks..

From a very confused matt!

6. rbooth

rbooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is how I understand Loewe and progressive scan:

The TV has a high quality de interlacer built in which enables the TV to produce a prgressive picture from an interlaced source (normal DVD player) for NTSC only. For PAL you get an interlaced picture at 100hz.

For NTSC you can select between interlaced and progressive using the service menu byte 3 bit 5.

For an external progressive source you must go through the VGA module you cannot use component through the SCARTS.

I have had most of this confirmed by Loewe except the service menu setting.

IMHO you are unlikely to see significant differences between the TVs deinterlacer with an interlaced source and a progressive source through the VGA module.

see www.hometheaterhifi.com for reference material on PS.

Hope this helps

Rob (Xelos)

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Loewe Vitros and Arcam DV88.

Yes, the Vitros is the same inside as the Aconda.

You can connect them with an RGB SCART, (I have the Chord), all you have to do is set the menu on the DVD to component, connect to scart 3 and set the menu on the TV to Auto,... YC, and you get Proscan, (de-interlacing), on both NTSC and PAL.

You don´t need any upgrade.

It is the best image I ever watched on any TV, way better then with the RGB connection...

8. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi.
    Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    rbooth has it spot on.
    Gary

9. marvin1

marvin1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad you asked that question as i have been wondering a similar thing. I know very little about tv's but need to buy a knew one for my gamecube.
    So do these loewe tv's support progressive scan and also have component inputs? I have heard there are different types of prog scan, but know the gamecube only supports 480p.
    So will these loewe tv's let me play my gamecube in its progressive scan mode?
    cheers.

10. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Loewe will do "progressive scan" from an interlaced component video input. You need the VGA add-on to connect an external progressive scan source.

Now, the reason progressive scan players don´t de-interlace PAL is that it disables the copy protection of the DVDs. Of course that wont be a problem when it is done by the TV, as you cannot record it... so the Loewes can de-interlace PAL too...

11. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two quick questions on the subject of the Loewe:

1. How do you connect an external Prog scan source such as a Denon 2800 to the Loewe with the VGA card? The Denon can only output prog scan via component.

2. The GameCube can output Prog Scan via Component or a D-sub type connection (like PC monitors). However, this isn't a VGA output as the GC won't work with a VGA monitor.

In short, how does the VGA card allow Prog scan to be displayed from non-VGA sources?

12. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    To follow on from the above questions...

I wold presuem then that in the case of the Gamecube.. if you use the component outputs, then you do not need the GC progressive mode... the TV will do the work for you and hey presto a lovely deinterlaced Gamecube picture on the telly.. (and no need for the VGA Card).

One other question.. what are ppl standing the T.V on. I have a stand uniques one (which has a Sony 28" Wide on) and I am not sure that the Loewe will fit on it!

Thanks

Matt

13. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Standesign 36" wide to fit two amps side by side, but the 32" would do otherwise...

14. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If your stand is a "AV10 or AV10 high" it will fit the Aconda nicely.

15. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Just to update...

It would seem that the Virtos does not have component inputs, you have to use the scart socket.. if true then that blows its use with a gamecube unless I get the VGA card and use the other connector..

Can anyone one confirm this ?? Lowrider?

Cheer

Matt

16. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Gamecube doesn't output VGA, only component at the moment using either three plug component cable or a D-Sub connector.

If you could get a three plug component to Scart component adapter it might work, but I don't know if such a thing exists.

17. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This is something that has confused me. In the technical info for the Aconda and Vitros under "Connections" it states "Euro-AV RGB-suitable input-ready component video". As Matt has said it only has the scart(3) inputs. Can anyone clarify.

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My understanding is they have a non standard system where the RGB capable scart also recognises component on the RGB lines of the Scart (like many scalers).

I thought there was a reason for standards....:devil:

19. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Nic's right.

In the connections menu options for the Loewe's you can adjust the standard coming in onthe AV3 input, once you've first enabled its use by telling the TV you're attaching a DVD player to it.

There are a multitude of available options. Component being several.

A cable like Brattle mentions should work.

Gordon

20. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a cable component to SCART...

21. marvin1

marvin1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forgive my ignorance, but could someone tell me how the component to scart cables work.
    If I wanted to use the gamecubes component leads to connect to a tv that has prog scan but didn't have component inputs, would this cable enable me to utilise the cubes prog scan feature?

22. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The component able scart socket on the Loewe Aconda is only for interlaced sources. The only PS input is the optional VGA input card.

Jeff

23. marvin1

marvin1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do you know if a tv has component able scart sockets. Is that what they are called or do they have some cunning name?
    While were on the subject I don't suppose anyone would know if the tau's have such sockets.

24. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK only the Loewe Aconda/Vitros' do. It's not a standard thing.

The Toshibas have a "proper" component input though.

25. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    So to continue this ....The gamecube can either use 2 cables to output component/prog scan.

Both have the nintendo connector one end and then either the 3 component sockets or a vga style connector.

If you want to use the component cable with the loewe does anyone know if a component - to- scart connector exists (like the s-video - to - scart you can get from various places ?)

For the VGA connector it would seem than that if you had the optional loewe VGA card you connect it to that and then get the Cube to output 480p which the TV would then de-interlace (I think thats the correct assumption). And then you should have one hell of a picture at then end of it.

So where do you get the VGA card from and can you buy the TV's with it pre-fitted ??

My choice of Tv's is now between the Vitros and the tosh 36" Picture Frame.. though swaying heavily to the loewe at the mo!

cheers

Matt

P.S Has anyone tried the Cube - VGA loewe solution ??

26. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is true, the Vitros doesn´t have component inputs as in three RCAs, but the AV3 accepts component, so all you have to do is buy, or make, a component to SCART cable. I have seen sujestions where you can buy it in the UK, see the DVD section of this forum...

27. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    A competent home cinema retailer will be able to make you a 3 phono socket to scart adapter lead, or just cut off the three phono's and attach a scart plug instead.

The Loewe VGA board is an optional extra that is supplied through your Loewe dealer. LoeweUK don't fit it the dealer has to. "EDITED AFTER BRATTLE'S POST BELOW"
    The VGA board is not of use with this console. You would be best to just go in by component signal on scart3 socket

Gordon

28. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Note that the cube doesn't output VGA. You can buy a lead with a D-Sub style connector, but this isn't VGA.

Redant make a VGA box, but this just converts the component signal to VGA with, frankly, crap results.

29. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Oh ....:(

From this thread and gordons investigations the gap is shrinking between the Loewe and toshiba... who will win ??

One other thing.. the fact that the loewe only has scart sockets means that the nintendo component cable would have to be hacked about and wired into a scart connector to play it through the components.

Matt