Loewe Service Menu

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by eddietosh, Jun 15, 2002.

1. eddietosh

eddietosh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 9381 Aconda and have been trying to find out more info on what all of the options in the service menu do. Most of the geometry ones are reasonably obvious and can be discovered by "tweaking" the values (after making anote of the original values of course!)

I found a link on one of these threads (http://www.sauerland.de/~toyland/ht/tips/loewe-service.html posted by zsaddique) which led to a download for a loewe dealer guide which was useful but I think it was for the USA models (different number of option bytes, default to NTSC, etc). Some of the option bytes listed sound useful such as option to turn off "timer controlled channel switch" to stop that annoying pasue between channel changes (I know you can hold remote button down to change quicker but I always seem to manage to release slightly meaning I get channel 11 instead of 1 for instance)

Surely with all of the knowledge of the users of this forum we should be able to get a pretty full list of what all the optioon bytes are for?

Also, can anyone tell me how I stop the aspect ratio changing to Panoramic when I change channels - is this in the service menus, or someother option?

thanks for any input

eddie

2. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eddietosh... you sure you want to play around with the option bytes? I remember when I thought playing with the service menu was fun, and ended up tweaking my geometry like crazy... now I wish I hadn't touched those controls, I spent ages getting everything back right after screwing up the picture! :eek:

Then again, if you really want to be adventurous then go ahead, but you'll probably only end up coming back here and asking us how to get your lovely telly working again!! :D

IMHO, it's not worth the hassle, but that's just my opinion. Btw, turn AMD off in the picture menu if you want the aspect ratio to stay put when you change channels.

Have fun!

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,841
    If you do screw the picture up by altering something in the service menu, and cannot get it back to what it was, do not store, switch of the tv and un-plug. This should restore the tv settings to what it was before you altered them.

4. eddietosh

eddietosh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zsaddique

Thanks for your comments - its not so much wanting to play around with the settings but more about wanting to know what can be done with them. This is a TV with loads of features, a lot of which are kept from the people who own them because they are hidden in the sevice menu. Perhaps this is best but I thought it would be useful to list what various people know about these "hidden" features so people have the opeion to use them if they wish.

I tried turning off AMD but it still swithes to panoramic when I change channels??? - any other ideas?

cheers,

eddie

5. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A silly question but did you store the settings after you changed AMD to off?

6. eddietosh

eddietosh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    js,

yep, i stored setting after turning AMD off. Curiously, if I change to 4:3 and turn TV off, when I turn on again it always resets to 4:3 when I change channels. Put it back to Pan, turn off and on, and it then reverts to resetting back to pan after each channel change. This doesn't have the same effect for any of the other aspect ratios though.

any ideas?

eddie.

7. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea what it could be then.
    Actually thinking about it I might have the same thing happening on my Xelos. I don't notice it really as I have Sky Dig and obviously thats set to one of the AV outs and I change channel on the stb rather than the TV, but when I turn on the DVD player (connected to the same AV out) I'm sure the aspect changes to 4:3 or Pan and I have to switch it manually to 16:9 again.
    Also if I turn the TV off and the next time I turn it on, the aspect is 4:3 or pan rather than 16:9 which is what it was before I turned it off.
    It is annoying but I can't think of how to fix that.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's supposed to do that. Why do you see this as a problem? If you are watching through Sky Digital with Scart Control on, then the aspect ratio will automatically change according to broadcast. Basically, when you select an aspect ratio manually, i.e., Pan or 4:3, then you are setting this as the default. With AMD off, the aspect ratio will always revert to the default unless it receives a Widescreen or a 4:3 broadcast. In all other cases, the channel will stay as the default aspect you set it too.

If you are not watching Sky Digital and are still on analogue, then the aspect ratio will always be at you default unless you switch AMD on. On analogue broadcasts, there is no provision for Widescreen switching. Even with AMD set to on, the only time your aspect ratio will auto change is when it receives a 16:9 broadcast inside a 4:3 frame. Channel 4 broadcast a lot of stuff this way and your Loewe should switch to PalPlus, Cine or Zoom mode filling the entire screen.

:)