1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Loewe Prog Scan... scaling problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Steve1138, May 15, 2002.

1. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    although I haven't found the solution yet to the geometry / scaling problem when using the Silicon Image iScan with the Loewe + VGA module...

i have found a couple of scaler / deinterlacer units which look promising:

Focus Enhancements CenterStage CS-1 (soon to be released)
    http://www.focusinfo.com/products/centerstage/centerstage.htm

and the "Deuce" products from Communications Specialties
    http://www.commspecial.com/products.htm#vidscaler

from the spec sheets it looks to me like the Prog scan signal needs to be output at 852 x 480p to fill the screen on a widescreen Loewe, and, as the iScan doesn't 'scale'...
    hence the geometry problem.
    However on std 16:9 material (Toy Story) it DID fit the screen and it looked sublime...

The Centerstage can be software updated and programmed with new output resolutions, uses an IR remote (so you could prob programme settings into a Philips Pronto etc)
    and
    the Deuce seems to convert Pal 50 to Pal 60 (good for all the Loewe owners with 2400 chassis who can only synch VGA to 60 Hz !!!)

Is the end in sight ?!!

Can any "Scaling experts" comment on my assumptions / logic here ?

Steve

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I can;t say I've been over impressed with Deuce scalers in the past.....The Focus could be good...and I have just realised that a decent alternative could be a Rock Lite....Need to check it's specs but the Rock has excellent de-interlacing and scaling...Could be the perfect solution.

Gordon

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Our new boy from the Netherlands uses a Deuce scaler, the rest of his kit is well chosen perhaps he can pass some comments on Deuce scalers.