1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe /Panorama/Cine/Zoom - what do they do exactly

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sandholme, May 24, 2004.

1. sandholme

sandholme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loewe televisions have /Panorama/Cine/Zoom picture formats

What do these picture formats do exactly ?

I'd like a format which zooms until any one edge of the picture hits the edge of the screen and then stops. That way you get maximum picture size with no distortion.

I don't want a tv which switches continuously because it can't decide what the signal is (as others complain of)

2. Arri

Arri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know yet. I can't get my Nemos 32 up the stairs. :suicide:

3. Arri

Arri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    16:9 de-squeezes anamorphic images from a DVD/Satellite/Freeview source.
    Pana zooms in to about 14:9
    There are also cine and zoom. One of them zooms to 16:9 as far as I can tell.

The AMD (auto movie detection) function you mention can be switched off. I don’t know why you would want to though. It always seems to pick the best option. It doesn’t jump from ratio to ratio. It smoothly zooms from one to another and sticks with it. The only problem I could find with it was when I was watching ads and it zoomed in from 14:9 to 16:9 for one ad. It was the right ratio, but it barely seemed worth the zoom for one ad.

Hope that helps

4. sandholme

sandholme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the slow aspect ratio change could be more annoying than an instant one during adverts. An instant one at least may hide the change somewhatas the picture is simply a different shape whereas with the slow change its obvious what's happening.

>The only problem I could find with it was when I was watching ads and it >zoomed in from 14:9 to 16:9 for one ad. It was the right ratio, but it barely >seemed worth the zoom for one ad.

Of course a tv doesn't realise that the image is an advert and that it will have to change ratio again in 30s.

5. Arri

Arri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps the slow aspect ratio change will become tiresome after a while, though at the moment I quite enjoy it when a 16:9 ad comes on and the TV zooms in. I haven’t had my Loewe very long but so far I have opted to keep AMD set to “on” at all times. I think it’s a very good feature. My friend has a TV which doesn’t do any kind of auto-switching and it constantly annoys me when it doesn’t realize it is de-squeezing a normal 4:3 picture. “Wow, he’s put on weigh… Oh, it’s the Tele” isn’t something I’ve said with the Loewe.

“Of course a tv doesn't realise that the image is an advert and that it will have to change ratio again in 30s.”

No, I was just trying to point out some of the shortcomings of AMD. It isn’t perfect, and sometimes zooms into 14:9 on a 4:3 image. I like it though and, as I mentioned above, it can be disabled.