1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe or Philips

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Maximus5, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Maximus5

Maximus5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading a lot about Philips 37pf9986 recently, but I've never seen one. How is this set against Loewe Spheros 37" (which costs more). Is PQ comparable? Any suggestions? Did anybody actually see both side by side?

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    To be honest, I didn't give the Philips a fair trial, viewing it on the shop supplied DVD player via RGB rather than with DVI on the Loewe Xelos and Spheros. At close inspection, I actually preferred the non PP2 mode of the Philip. With the above in mind, the PQ on the Philips was very good, but on the Xelos it was excellent - could be because of DVI/RGB differences. The Xelos via component is very good. Being a Xelos owner and subsequently seeing the Spheros, ironically using the same model DVD player that I saw the Philips on and the same Philips showreel - the Spheros was better still, but im not sure how it was connected this time.

-Ian

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Oh I forgot to mention but may be important...

If you intend to go DVI in the future, this is a seperate connector on the Xelos/Spheros the component input - although for the Xelos at least (not sure about the Spheros), the DVI-I input is shared by the VGA input albeit with a different input. The external VGA connector on the Loewe media boxes are for the Loewe multimedia option/VGA upgrade.

The Loewe's will take native input at 50Hz and 60Hz, confirmed by tech support although this is still to be confirmed in practice.

Non native resolutions 16:9 sources can be scaled to fit so they do not leave black bars but you will still get the black bars with 2.35:1 media.

These are all plus' over the Philips.

4. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the Loewe Spheros 37 alongside the Philips 32 9986 (not the 37). However, I wouldn't expect the results to be much different comparing two 37s. The Philips had a better picture imho, even without the Pixel Plus 2 enabled.

Both sets are overpriced, but the Loewe sets take being overpriced to a whole new dimension - :eek:- again imho.

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    At £2995, the Loewe Xelos is exactly the same RRP as the Philips and the Sharp GD1E and, like the Sharps and Philips, can be found heavily discounted.

6. mahmudf

mahmudf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm also interested in these 2 screens but I cant find a shop demoing the 37" Philips. Does anyone one know where I can see this in London, I've seen the 32" which looked excellent and the 42" which didnt look good. It exhibited a viewing angle problem whereby the picture would get darker if you viewed it side on. Does the 37" Loewe or Philips have this problem?

thanks

Farrukh

7. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ianh64,

Maximus5 is interested in the 37 *Spheros*. Last time I looked this was a lot more than £2995 and certainly more than the 37 Philips will sell for when it becomes fully available.

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You will also see that his price differential between the Xelos and Spheros is 800 EUR which is about £550. Most UK prices include the black hi gloss cabinet and HD recorder - take these out and its really not that much more.

9. Maximus5

Maximus5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the price difference between Spheros 37" and Philips 37" is 1.800 EUR, which is quite a lot. I somehow trust Loewe (3 years warranty) more than Philips (2 years warranty) so I'm prepared to pay more but how much more.
    I understand by reading Ianh64 mails that Spheros is technically more "complete" (without PP2 but with other gismos) and it satisfies my needs for connections while Philips lacking the component input, well :nono: . Maybe they've avoided putting the component input because in the Philips 30" LCD version the RGB PQ was better than with component. But unfortunately the price difference doesn't cover completely the more technically perfect Spheros. The question is still the PQ of the two since I haven't seen the Philips LCD yet.
    In Belgium both Loewe Spheros and Xelos come with the same media box (with 2 scarts, DVI, photoviewer, component, VGA etc.) so the difference is only design and glass in front of the Spheros screen.
    I plan to connect the HD satellite receiver trough DVI and DVD recorder and DVD player to component via AV receiver. If I take Philips I’ll have to connect all 3 component via AV receiver and than via the component/VGA/DVI cable. I wonder how much would I lose with this kind of connection.

10. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    have any of you fellas seen pictures of the new r37 spheros?
    forget the price, what a looker!!