1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe NTSC problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Badger, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a flickering picture on NTSC on my Aconda - now this happens on different sources (D/cast and DVD) and I've seen the effect on 2 different sets - the Aconda and my old hitachi set. PAL pictures are perfect so I reckon it's due to 50Hz hum somewhere in my power supply - this is annoying, but I'm moving soon so can live with it for now (I havn't found a reasonably priced mains noise filer - anyone know of one)

Anyway this is pretty much a lead up to the real problem - on PAL everything is just great - but in addition NTSC has another problem - i've got a area on the screen - symetrical and sort of in the shape of an X (no X-Box jokes please) that is brighter, if the picture is dark it's very noticable - As it only happens on NTSC i think the tube and electronics must be OK - calibration problem perhaps ? Or is the mains noise causing a problem.

Anyone got any comments ?

Phil

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Hi Badger
    I have both an Aconda and play reg1 disc, and I’m happy to say I have not spotted the problems you mention so far on my TV.

3. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I get a small amount of flickering too on NTSC signals - I presume you realise that all NTSC signals are displayed in Progressive at 60Hz - hence you get flicker on menus - and very rarely when watching films.

As to the X-light patch - is this about 1/3 of the way down the screen - almost as if light is escaping (which it is) - its due to a blanking problem in the software (apparently). I have to admit - I had this problem when I first bought my Vitros - but after a week or so its almost completely disappeared. Someone posted a discussion about this on this newsgroup a while back.

Buckster.

4. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Garrett

I'm pretty confident that the flickering is due to noisy electrics in my house - my old (50hz) set did it. As i'm moving soon that doesn't bother me too much. The set itself I reckon is OK.

Buckster

The X covers the whole screen, and only on NTSC - very odd. The software on my set will be quite old (the set was an ex-demo) so that might be it - anyone know how much a s/ware upgrade for the set would be ?

Cheers

Phil

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Hi again.

They sell a mains cleaner, that I have seen advertised for hi-fi I wonder if it would work on the TV, I see no reason why this would not work on that side of the problem . Help anyone!. As you mention you are moving so this may not apply.