Loewe: NextView/Q-Link Query

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ChrissyboyII, Apr 30, 2002.

1. ChrissyboyII

ChrissyboyII
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Loewe Xelos 5270. It arrives in 3 days time :D I need to get a VCR to use with it but am reluctant to pay £250+ for the Loewe one.

What VCR does anyone recommend to take advantages of the Loewe link system?

The Loewe link system, on the web site it's called:

Link system: Digital Link Plus / Digital Link / Videotimer

The main question is: has anyone got a non Loewe VCR to operate using the Digital Link/Plus?

Thanks

2. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you really need to fork out an extra £250 for the Loewe vcr?

BTW does your Xelos have the 2500 chassis? I've been waiting for my Xelos 5381 for three weeks now and still no luck in getting one delivered.

Also did you get the Xelos Rack 1 for it?

Stan..

3. ChrissyboyII

ChrissyboyII
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the Loewe VCR is over £250. I think after doing some more research - it it the only VCR that will function with the Digital Link. I hope I'm wrong and someone can tell me otherwise.

My TV arrives on Friday but the shop said it would be the new chassis (capable of PIP). The stand is a joke @ that price so no i didn't go for it!

4. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You know its not fare:rolleyes: how come the Xelos 5270 comes with the PIP but the 5381 doesn't??

Does anyone know this.

Stan..

5. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well both the VCR and the DVD player are Philip's kit (my Aconda remove operates both my Philip's Vid and my Yamaha (Philips) DVD player) - so it is possible that one of the Philips vid's does the job, mine doesn't appear to though :(

Phil

6. rjpreston

rjpreston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Empire Direct sell the Loewe vid for approx £215. After splashing outy on a grpahite coloured Xelos then discovered that no-one other than Loewe still make black coloured video players!

I got one from EmpireDirect in the end - fed up with my 15 year old Akia chewing tapes!

Rob

7. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Sony video (SL something 710) with my Xelos 5270 (2500 chassis) and it works fine.

The Digital Link Plus is their name for the usual **Link thing that everyone does for channel downloading and recording the current program.

Digital Link, on the other hand, is what they call their abilty to control a Loewe VCR via a Loewe TV.

Sim

8. ChrissyboyII

ChrissyboyII
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simbloke,

Thanks for your reply - quite encouraging. With your sony, are you able to set the timer from teletext? That Sony calls its link system SmartLink, I'm thinking of getting a LG vcr http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/174_703365.html . This uses NextLink, in your opinion do you think I'll be able to take advantage of the DLP?

BTW: does your Sony handle 16:9?

CB.

9. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't actually get my telly to get the program times from the teletext so I've no chance of trying to send it to the video :(

Does anyone knows what pages it's supposed to look at?

As for 16:9 and the video, I don't think it matters. The video records the signal as-is and it's up to the telly to make whatever it likes of it.

10. rjpreston

rjpreston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To set the teletext preview pages do the following

Open the teletext menu (press T then M) select Settings then Preview Pages. For each station, enter the teletext page that provides today's programmes on that channel! i.e. page 601 for BBC1, 602 for BBC2, 601 for ITV and 301 for C4.

However, the preview pages (Blue button on remote) only seem to work properly on Channel 4, which works perfectly once the above has been set up. ITV works intermittently but I've never got BBC1 or 2 to work at all! Can't understand it. Neither can Loewe!

Rob

11. drashp

drashp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I've just got a Xelos 28" (Q2500 chassis) and had been playing with the preview settings - as far as I can see the only differencwe between BBC1 & BBC2 (which dont work) and ITV, CH4 and CH5 which sometimes/often do work is that the BBC use a slightly different time format in their teletext page i.e. no colon between hrs & mins. That's exactly the kind of thing a bit of code would be looking for to properly parse the time - no colon therefore doesn't recognise the string as a time. I'd put a fiver on it as a probable reason. How to get BBC to change though?

12. rjpreston

rjpreston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well spotted! I very much doubt that BBC will change, but I'll ping off an email to them anyway! The other option would be for Loewe to update their chassis firmware to cope with the different times - but I guess that would then involve a technicioan to come out to update.

I suppose I could always look in the paper for a TV guide!!!

Rob

13. rjpreston

rjpreston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0