1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Moire. How to spot it during a demo??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by talizker, Aug 9, 2003.

1. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hello people:)

I am going to have a demo of the Loewe Mimo and will be taking my DVD player with a selection of R1 discs in. I am obviously a little concerned about the reported moire issue on NTSC material and as my DVD collection is about 200:1 [NTSC:pAL] it is kind of important!

What i'd like to know is are there any particular DVD's and scenes that show up this effect?

Thanks for your time...

2. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I used to notice it most on darker scenes. It was manifested as wavy lines down the left and right-hand edges of the screen.

I've eliminated it (for all intents and purposes) by following Groundy's excellent post. This does involve fiddling around in the service menu, so unless you're confident doing this it might affect your decision on buying the Mimo.

I've got an Aconda, and Loewe are overall way ahead of the competition. But this moire issue is very disappointing. With you having so many Region 1 DVDs I don't think it's something you could live with out of the box - you'd have to attempt the service menu "fix".

Hope that helps.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DVD's that exhibited obvious Moiré before I twaeked the geometry for a fix:

NTSC R1 DVD

Title: The Insider - 2:35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

Title Chapter Time

1 1 04:42
    1 1 05:13

1 1 05:38 Step In Slow Mo to 05:41

1 2 06:47
    1 2 07.54
    1 2 08:50

1 6 27:59
    1 7 29:00

In most of the above Moiré is clearly visible on Right Hand Side of screen, Left Hand Side of screen, or both sides simultaneously.

A good quick test on the Insider is to pause the DVD on the opening credits when the screen is totally black. Now, push up the Brightness until the Moiré becomes visible on top of the grey. This will show you the Moiré effect so you know what to look for with the color/brightness set correctly during a scene.

NTSC R1 DVD

Title: Contact - 2:35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

Title Chapter Time

1 1 02:13
    1 1 02:21

1 2 05:15

Look for the Moiré on Right Hand Side of screen, particularly on the yellow walls as the camera moves into the little girls room.

NTSC R1 DVD

Title: Predator - 1:85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

I don't have the chapter times to hand with this one but if you go to the secene at the beginning where Arnies Helicopter is landing and the guys are getting out of it. Look carefully at the Right Hand Side of the screen when the camera is fixed on Arnie sitting in the Helicopter. The Helicopter's grey steel colour shows the Moiré.

Forward on just a tad and you get to the scene where the General is walking down the steps to meet Arnie. Again, look closely at the RHS of the screen as the General walks down. Moiré will be clearly visible to the top right, even affecting the General's face.

You can pause all of the above DVD's in scene as the Moiré will remain. Remember though that the extent and visibility of teh Moiré effect will differ on all sets. It is dependant upon the default Geometry settings.

If you spend enough time in the Service Menu, you can tweak using the fix I posted ages ago and more or less eradicate the Moiré. Some people were not able to get a satisfactory result but I myself have completely removed it from visibility when sitting more than 4 ft away from screen.

4. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you follow Groundys instuctions you won't go far wrong (he's the expert!). Just make sure the room is dark at the time. This is when I notice the problem the most (and the ideal way to watch a movie as well :rolleyes: .

My problem is very noticable. However, when I want to show the problem to someone reliably, I just need to stop a region 1 DVD and on the grey screen that my Tosh DVD player outputs it is very obvious.

Hope you get a good one, as when they are good they are very good :D .

5. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for all your input guys. Much appreciated :)

I have however settled on a replacement projector [was keeping my options open after it looked like another 'clean and fix' on my old one].