1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Mimo. Want VGA Card installed. Newcastle (local) installation required please.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by chrisjoanne, May 3, 2005.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have a Loewe Mimo 32" Tv and want the VGA card installed. I live in Newcastle and I'm obviously looking for a local Loewe service agent who can install this. I need it installed by a approved dealer for my warranty.

I've been quoted silly money, but that was to get a guy from the Midlands to come to Newcastle.

I've had a quote of £65 for the card so I'm just looking for installation if possibly.
    However if I need to get the card through the Loewe service agent I will, if the price is ok.

One or two of my local dealer are not stocking Loewe anymore due to them selling cheaper on the net and these companies are not willing to give me any telephone numbers of the agents.

Any help on this is appreciated.

I can't wait to get the PC screen on my 32" Tv so :lease: help.

Thanks
    Chris

2. carpy

carpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently wanted the dolby digital and VGA upgrades fitted to my Aconda. I rang Loewe technical (got the number from my TV documents) who gave me the numbers of a few local Loewe approved engineers, I live in S. Yorkshire. One fitted both upgrades for his flat call out fee of £45. Seemed to do a good job too. Dolby working fantastic not tried the VGA yet.

3. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your post carpy. Didn't think of looking in the manual. I'll have a look later.

4. Alfa

Alfa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi chrisjoanne
    Newcastle Hi Fi on Kenton Road Gosforth just round the corner from me are Loewe agents and have a full repair/installation service to cover the surrounding areas.
    Tel : 01912857179 :thumbsup:

5. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Alfa, I rang the guy up today but he hasn't returned my call.
    I know the shop well - infact I bought my first seperates system from there a long time ago.
    I'll give him one more go.

6. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bloody hell, it can't be that dificult to get someone to install a card.....is it?
    I've rang about 7-8 authorised dealers for Loewe. Some as far away as Carlisle and Durham! ......and not one has helped me out here.

I'm at present still waiting of a call back from Newcastle Hi-fi and also Sevenoaks.

I've also got to wait until tomorrow to speak to a guy from AVS who have fitted one of these cards before.

Oh well, seemed like a good idea at the time but this is a bit of a headache.

Chris

7. carpy

carpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris
    I wouldn't worry too much if the engineer hasn't fitted one before as long as he's Loewe approved. The guy who fitted mine hadn't done one before but found the instructions and kit very straightforward. He said Loewe technical are good too at giving advice if they get stuck.
    All the best in your trials

8. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the post.

I rang Peter Martin on Tuesday and he quoted £185 all in. £75 + installation cost of £110 as I live in Newcastle. I thought this was too much and did not order.
    However I have just ordered the VGA card via their website + main land installation. This was £75 + only £45 (delivery + installation) Total £120. I have double checked this and it is definately only £45 delivery and installation to Newcastle.

So hopefully this order will go through.

Anybody else ordered via Peter Martin? How quick are they?

Chris

9. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What a fanny on this has turned out to be.

Peter Martin have obviously realised they have made a blunder on there website - its now changed.
    They have now changed the "add to cart" details. You can either add £40 for Installation plus another £45 for delivery and erm.....installation, again (?)

.....or you can add "DIY installation" for the card then £45 for delivery and installation - WHAT (?)

What the fu......I mean flip does this mean?

I buy the card for £75 and install it myself then pay £45 for getting it delivered and also get someone to install something else - this has got me beat.

He's the link - try and make it out what this bloke means. Peter Martin upgrades

Has anyone done a DIY installation of this card? Would it void my warranty.

I'm still at a loss if the card is installed in the Tv or in the PC :confused:

I'm shouting this from the top of the highest mountain............PLEASE SOMEONE OUT THERE HELP !

If its a simple operation to install the card myself I'll just crack on with it.

:suicide:

Cheers
    Chris

10. carpy

carpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The card fits into the TV. I had a look at the instructions with the kit and they are very clear, well illustrated and it does not look too hard. No soldering or anything complex.
    Take back off set, Jump leads to connect from VGA board to 'signal board' and different bits, slot VGA board and set it up through set.
    My view is that no great expertise is needed but some experience of electronics will help. For example you need know only to hold a circuit board by its edges. All that said these things often seem easier than they are!!!

11. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for your post and help on this matter Carpy.

12. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm adding to this thread to inform anyone in the future who may put a search in for "VGA upgrade" etc and finds this thread/post.

Firstly, having tried numerous Loewe service providers in my area (North-east) I found the majority of the dealers did not seem too bothered about helping me. As my previous posts stated I rang as far as Durham, Carlisle and even York. I even had the Loewe retailers list (telephone numbers) from their customer services department.

I believe the lack of help can be put down to one thing - I purchased online and not from a high street store. I believe the aftersales service would be better if I purchased from a High Street store and have learned a valuable lesson.

However, I have had a good experience from a comapny called AVS of Newcastle (Could have fitted it for £150 but never fitted one before) and also Peter Martin .
    I spoke to a guy called Steve from Peter Martin who has been very helpful indeed and understood my frustration surrounding the problem of installation.
    I have now ordered the VGA card from Peter Martin which will be installed on Tuesday. :thumbsup:

To conclude: If you are looking for a VGA upgrade and live North of York, do yourself a favour and just get it installed by Peter Martin. You will save yourself time, stress and fortunes on your telephone bill looking for a guy to fit it.

Hope this thread has helped atleast one other person. :smashin:

Cheers
    Chris

13. crooksm

crooksm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add to chrisjoanne's comment - I bought my Dolby Digital upgrade from the TV section of Harvey Nichols. Can't remember how much I paid for it (it was around 2 years ago now) but fitting of the thing was included in the price...

14. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chrisjoanne M8,

How is the VGA card working out. Was it worth the money? I'm thinking about getting one myself. What are you using the card for? Do you intend to run DVDs throught your PC to it?

Bazza

15. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there bazzae123, hows things going?

I got the card installed on Tuesday. I must say that the guy who fitted it from Peter Martin was very, very informative and knowledgable. The service I have received from PM has been spot on. I know I have praised them previously but I think if a company has treated its customers well it should be. He was telling me he fits £40,000 systems on a regular basis so I think my job was a bit of a small one to say the least.

I will look at getting more Loewe equipment from PM before I check out other sites just because there customer service has been good.

I received my 10m cable from Lindy (£25) on Thursday, but what I didn't take into account was the need for a box which will split the feeds - one going to the PC monitor and one for the Mimo.

I went to maplin and it was going to be around £40 all in. I asked if I could get a splitter whereby you have 1 male cable splitting into 2 females. Obviously the male going to the graphics card and the monitor cables going into the females.

He said I couldn't. (so did PC world).

After a look on Ebay, I found one - for £2.99 too.

I'm not sure if this is going to work though but I see no reason why not.

As for what I'm going to use the card for.......

Mainly net use. The kids will love sitting watching a 32" tv and click through the nickjr site or cbeebies. (I'm sure I'll be using it for net use too).

Also I think I'll play my Mpeg4 files too.

I may not use it as much as I think I will, but atleast its there if need be.

I hope to use the PC monitor less and try to use the 32" monitor more.

I will also download the "powerpoint" program (I think its called that), which will get me a better resolution too.

Finally, if your Tv is still under warranty there is no way I would try to install this card yourself. Leave it to someone who knows.

Hope I've helped.

Cheers
    Chris

16. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

Clad to hear things are sorted. I've just returned yet another TV to Hughes and have now placed an order with Peter Martin for a new Nemos. This will be the third. I,m sticking with the Loewe as I like the natural picture but I must say the Phillips P+2 comes in close. It just over processes to much of the time, but when its good its pretty impressive, but can't peat the loewe for that natural cinema experience. Anyway, I was talking to Simon at Peter Martin and he told me about an offer that Loewe UK are currently running which is a Nemos fitted with a hard drive, a DVt card and Nemos rack included. I have read the article about using "Powerstrip" and fancied getting the VGA card as well as its only £70, I'm just not sure how much I'll use it as I'd also have to upgrade the graphics card in my PC. I've had a look on Ebay and you can get some cheep duel port cards pretty cheep thought so maybe its not such a problem.
    Anyway, good to hear from you and I'l let you know what happens

Bazza