1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Mimo 32 - switch to 50hz??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by igstephenson, Oct 4, 2003.

1. igstephenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi all,

I've had my Loewe Mimo 32 for a few weeks now and I must say I am so far dissapointed. Believe me, I do not want to be, I'm sure this TV is more capable than I am seeing. At first I was using an analogue signal and had really bad "blockiness" when some fast moving action occurs i.e. football matches, someone running etc - kind of like jpeg artifacts and also jagged edges to objects.

I put this down to a poor signal so decided to upgrade to a Freeview box. I bought myself a Sony D800 setop box and had a Televes DAT45 aerial installed - full signal strength & quality all round.

The picture, when still, is superb, very three dimensional and very vibrant. BUT - as soon as there is any fast movement I get this blockiness and it ruins the picture totally.

Is this "problem" related to 100hz processing? This is my first 100hz tv and I have seen a few other 100hz sets around which also have pretty poor pictures to be honest. I've also read a lot of the post regarding 50 v100hz sets and it seems to be a common problem. Also I've heard that the bigger the screen, the more the problem is visible. I know Loewe's 100hz processing is regarded as one of the best so I am still hoping to get the best out of this set.

Is there any way in the Loewe's service menu that I can switch between 100 and 50hz - just to see if there is any difference?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I want to love my Loewe!!

2. cosaw

Jun 14, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Stockport, Manchester
    Don't know much about loewes but have heard many good reports.

All your points seem valid and conform with discussion around the topic of 50Hz vs 100Hz. Some people (maybe yourself) notice these 100hz effects more than others. Interlacing is one of the main problems when factoring up to 100hz. Plus even if you've got full signal strength and digital, there will still be mpeg type artifacts which can be amplified by 100Hz.

Don't know if there is a 50hz option on your set but if there is it will display more flicker than any standard 50hz set. This is because of the phosphor persitance level. On 100hz sets the light from the phosphor dies more quickly after being hit by electrons. This is so that the faster refresh rate doesn't blur the picture. If you could switch to 50hz your still using the same phospor and the picture will die too quickly for a slower scan rate. You will notice more flicker. Standard 50hz sets have slower phosphors to make the frames last slightly longer on the screen before they are refreshed.

We went for a 50hz sony in the end, mainly because of budget at the time. Knew of 100hz problems then but have done more research since and would probably go for 50hz again.