1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe LCD's (Xelos and Spheros)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by masher, Jul 25, 2004.

1. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

sorry to bang on about these.

Have got the latest specs and they both seem pretty good (got a lot of Loewe picture tweaks which work well on CRT's - hope they work as well on LCD's).

Got a query with the Xelos, only has 2 Scarts, one S-Video, one RGB/Component I think. Also has a DVI in. My question is: does the scart component take progressive (doubt it as my Aconda has the same and that is interlaced only), or does the DVI take progressive component (a la Philips 9986)?? :confused: Or would you just need to add a VGA card which supports progressive component (a la Aconda)?? :confused:

Spheros is much better speced on the input side, 3 scarts all S-Video, 2 RGB and 1 component capable, and seperate component in and DVI. Still don't know if any of the component in's are progrssive.

Have sent these questions off to Loewe and Pete Martin, but no response so far, will update if I get any.

In the mean time if any one has either of these LCD's I would be interested in your thoughts picture quality wise, or any other thoughts for that matter. :)

Many thanks Mash :D

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Dont know about the Xelos yet (We will be getting a demonstrator in a week or so)
    I have seen the Spheros though and can confirm that it does take progressive scan signals in through the component sockets. (I used an Arcam DV79 for the demo in our own demo room)
    Picture quality was outstanding. I would go as far as to say it was as good as arguably the best plasma at the moment. (Pioneer PDP434). Possibly even better.
    There was no sign of the sluggish refresh rate seen on most LCDs and blacks were very good.
    Only down side was the HUGE media box.

I look forward to seeing the reviews and hearing other members opinions.

3. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a reply from Loewe Customer Service which implies that the Xelos had Component RCA connections (as with the specs, it is implied not categorically stated :confused: ). Will be going out in search of a model in the near future so I can check for myself. :)

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Considering the close working relationship between Loewe AG and Sharp, plus the fact that Philips also utilise Sharp LCD panels, it's worth comparing models.
    Firstly, a number of Loewe features are of little interest to myself, the lighting control for instance.
    My preference would be DVB built-in, OK for Loewe and Sharp but not Philips.
    DVI connection, OK for Philips and Loewe but not Sharp.
    I prefer the lack of Philips media box.
    Most of all the best PQ.

My feeling is that neither Sharp LC30AD1E, Philips 32PF9986, Loewe Xelos 32 SL or Loewe Spheros 32 HD has a picture which is acceptable for normal use as a tv. The 16 ms screen response rate of the Sharp LCD panel fitted in all of these models still suffers from blurry movement, I look forward to the next step 12ms and before too long 8ms. By then the picture should be acceptable to watch sport, movies and so on. For now the picture looks fantastic only with text screens or when little movement is displayed.

Comparing with DVDs and off-air programmes ( DVB and analogue ) the Pixel Plus 2 technology must be responsible for the clearly superior picture quality of the Philips when compared to the Sharp, which I have yet to observe looking anything other than poor, frankly. The Loewes are closer to the Philips, certainly better than the Sharp. Goes to demonstrate the importance of the electronics being that the LCD panels are the same.

These screens may well be acceptable to others for use as a tv, no offence intended, but if anyone is particularly picky, it is good advice to witness the performance first hand before buying, unless of course it is simple to return your purchase to your supplier if not pleased.

:cool:

5. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what source do you get that Philips uses Sharp panels? Isn't that a bit strange considering their close ties with LG?

-Yahoo