1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Hyperbole

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gringottsdirect, Jul 2, 2002.

1. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I can't take it any more.
    I cannot believe all the posts I see saying " saw the Loewe in John Lewis today, compared to Brand X it blew my socks off."
    Reading through the threads for months one would gather the impression that from a row of me-too Philips, Sonys, Panasonics and Toshibas, any Loewe will spring out a 3-D holographic picture and stun you with it's svelte styling.
    Compounded by the frequent posts suggesting perfect build quality, freedom from "characteristics" and faultless service back-up.
    Can it all be true, or have we a legion of Loewe reps and dealers promoting television Nirvana.
    Whenever I see Loewe televisions sitting next to the latest designs from our Japanese and Dutch friends I can't see the Loewe halo. Is it the emporer's new clothes again?
    I've only seen some minor criticism of the slow website and the odd finger trouble reported.
    I 'd love to believe it's all true, but find it too good to be so, will I be flamed mercilessly?
    Anyone else feel the same? :devil:

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....but don't you own a Loewe? ;)

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :eek: Doh!...yes. :D

4. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Loewe Vitros in basalt Q2400 and initially I couldn't really understand what the fuss was all about. That was because I was watching everything from a really bad cable connection (and the picture is only as good as the connection) and I didn't even have a VCR that worked.

However now I have bought my first ever DVD player (Tosh 510) and I can see what everyone's going on about. I've borrowed about 15 DVDs from the library so far, and it is a totally awesome experience, and I've only got the sound linked up to my two speaker stereo system, so I'm mainly talking about the cinema feel to it all. Having said all that, I can't really compare it to much else, and I guess most other 32" TVs won't be that much different. I'm pretty much a novice at anything to do with "AV Hardware" but I am very pleased.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Gringot...: It amazes me as well.....The thing about Loewe is they need a good signal to perform. Sadly lacking in most electrical stores. Of course, those who buy them then post here probably have decent aerials and sources...

Although Loewe use Philips tubes (except for 40") the performance, on 32" and below, models is pretty great. Certainly better than I have seen from others.

Gordon

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seriously though, I do know what you're getting at. I have to say I'm happy with my Loewe Aconda. In fact, I think it's the best set I've yet come across but I don't think it "jumped" out at me above all others. In fact, I went for the Toshiba ZP18 first but 10 million faults later, I exchanged it for the Loewe. I have to say though, I probably would have went for the Loewe first if it had of been in the same price range.

On taking delivery of the Loewe, I did not notice the much reported "3D" effect at all and cannot understand why so many people say they have done :confused:. Perhaps they are referring to the over-processed effect provided by DMM/DMI mode but I would descibe this effect as very unreal and documentary-like (DMI is nowhere near as bad as DMM).

Everything else about the TV I love. I love the looks, the menu style, the simple remote, the upgradability and the vast amount of connections, the accepted input signals and the user-friendly service menu. With regards these points, no other TV comes close. :)