1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Dolby Option & Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Donos, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Donos

Donos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1st post ... looking for advice please.

Thinking of purchasing Loewe TV with integrated Dolby Digital option :- onboard 5.1 processor, with external active speaker set ... 2 front floorstanders (L2A) + 2 rear standmounters (L82A).

Idea is to team with Loewe Xemix DVD player for movies & CDs

Question marks in relation to onboard Dolby processor :- I expect some performance compromise as compared to separate Amp/Receiver ... but the integration and ease-of-use with a single remote seem attractive.

- Has anyone any experience of same ?

Thanks in anticipation

2. crooksm

crooksm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have almost your exact proposed set up: Aconda 9381 (with DD upgrade), Xemix 5106, L2A (front) and L82A (rears).

I am a great fan of simplifying, as much as possible, the amount of remotes, boxes, cabling etc, etc on home cinema stuff. One of the reasons I chose the above was because of this.

I'm sure seperate boxes may give better performance than an all-in-one solution but I am very happy with my set up. The L2A's are great speakers. One of the great things I like is the fact there is no centre speaker to place above or below the TV and you don't have to turn the TV sound off and control the volume with the decoders remote.

The only downside I have with the DD upgrade is that it doesn't provide DTS decoding. I've not found this to be a problem but I hear great things about DTS on some DVDs and I'd at least like the ability to be able to compare them myself.

3. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    how good is this speaker set up?
    is the active side of these speakers worthy?
    i know the floor mounts have linn keily drivers in them,but could you compare them to the competition,so that i can have an idea on how good they really are.
    also,how good are they on cd playback?

4. Donos

Donos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying.

I'm of the same mind re: simplicity, centre speaker & remotes. My main concern was the speakers (unable to find demo units in Ireland :- hence relying on posting for advice) ... and am pleased to hear your assessment of L2As.

- What do you think of L2As in stereo CD playback (using your Xemix) ?

- The L2A spec is 30Hz (!!) - 22kHz ... Do you find there is a need for sub (for Movies) ?

Like you, I reckon I could live without DTS ... and could always add an external processor at a later stage if I find I'm missing out.

5. crooksm

crooksm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly - I ought to say that I am no expert in this - the only other experience I have is listening to friends set-ups (basically Wharfedale's and Mission's M5 series).

I think my set-up sounds 'comparable' - I would feel awful recommending them to you however without you listening for yourself. Especially considering they're fairly pricey!

Anyway to answer your questions:

1. I don't listen to them that much for CD playback (it sounded fine when I did). When I get round to it I will be connecting a conventional CD player and stereo amp to the L2A's (they can accept both active and passive inputs at the same time).

2. I certainly don't find the need for a sub - the low frequency response is quite impressive.

3. As for the quality of the active side of the speakers - I can't really comment as I have yet to listen to them passively.

Hope this helps!