1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Confusion - Aconda Vs Articos Vs Nemos

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Moo242, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now have my heart set on Loewe TV after seeing the gorgeous picture coming out of an Aconda the other day.

However, still a bit confused about why there is such a fluctuation in prices.

As I understand it, the Aconda and the Articos share the same tube and chassis with just the cabinet being different but with a good £500 price difference, are you really just paying for the plusher design?

Also, where does the Nemos fit into things? The design of this one is very close to the Articos but again the price is substatially lower..

Ultimately, I'm looking for a recommendation here. Like I said, I saw the Aconda on Saturday and was blown away by the PQ, Keanu literally jumped out of the screen during the matrix lobby shootout... :cool:

I've searched other threads on here but am still a bit miffed

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

2. peckhamlad

peckhamlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the articos also has an anti reflective screen over the acconda.
    the difference in the two pictures is small,but there is a difference!

4. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Leowe Mimo 32 due to arrive sometime this week, hope i made the right choice. Cost me £999.

5. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the design of the Mimo was a bit too quirky for my taste but definitely be interested in your thoughts once you get it.

6. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm using this post rather than starting another as it's a similar question!

The problem is I'm torn between the Mimo 32 and the Aconda, can anyone tell me which would be a better buy I'm more interested in picture quality than anything else and mainly using it for games consoles and DVDs.

Thanks in advance!

7. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moo242's original note asked about difference between Aconda and Articos.

Big difference is that Aconda is a CRT (i.e. conventional tube) and the Articos is a DLP Rear Projection. I have seen the Articos 55" - very impressive. Needs good source to get best PQ and it has tendency to reflect room light - so ensure that this will not be a problem before buying.

Note: I heard last week that Loewe is NOT planning to further develop DLP based Rear Projection TVs - so don't expect any of the new generation of DLP chips from Loewe. Pity...

Pipcat

8. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pipcat, sorry mate but there is a both a 32" CRT ARticos and DLP, the 32" Articos has the best picture i have ever seen on a TV on par i would say with B & O, the Loewe TV's are even more desirable now that they have 100 Hour hard drives built inside, plus you can upgrade them to high heaven should you wish!!

9. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's right and I actually ended up getting the Articos 32 about a month and I'm thrilled with it.

PQ is awesome after some careful tinkering with colour settings. The DMM and DMI processing don't make an awful lot of difference and are really there to steady the picture which is only really noticable on Sky with all their crazy on screen graphics. I did notice a touch of Moire on NTSC DVD's but a quick tinker with the service menu fixed it and improved the picture as well :)

Screen purity is awesome, colours are deep and the service menu is very user friendly

The point with Loewe TV's is that they just have a great picture straight out of the box. I had a Tosh PF TV for a few weeks and whilst the PS picture was great you had 154887 different picture settings and it just drove me up the wall - I'd sit there flicking between them all instead of watching the damn film :laugh: (plus it was faulty)

As far as I'm aware the Aconda has the same innards as the Articos and was actually the model I auditioned before going for the Articos (prefered the 'plasma' styling of the Articos) . The Mimo also has great reviews but I think the Aconda is up there with the Articos as Loewe's flagship sets

If you have any questions - let me know

10. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mr Fantazmo: Oops, you are (of course) right. So far I had only looked at the 55" DLP Articos and had not been aware that they use the same name for a CRT screen (interesting marketing strategy!).

I am still very keen on the 55" articos - problem is that it is pretty expensive compared to other DLPs out there (only one more expensive is the SIM2!!!)

11. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Somehow, Loewe seem to be able to make easy to use TV's with great picture quality. They dont have all the bells and whistles of other brands and the processing seems minimal. Maybe the lack of super duper features improves the picture