loewe component or rgb?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Jun 24, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Can anyone help?
    I have A Loewe Nemos 32 that after many problems with other tvs I have decided to keep.
    I also have a pioneer DVD757ai player that has component out puts on the back.
    MY questions are as follows. Which will give the best picture, compoenet or rgb.?
    Is there a comonent to scart lead avalable that will go from my player to the loewe and will carry a sound signal as well?
    I have seen leads that will do the three component to scart but nothing that will do audio left and right plus the three component to scart.
    Also my player is capable of pal and ntsc progressive scan through component . will the loewe be able to handle this?
    Many thanks to anyone that has any recomendations.
    Dave. :thumbsup:

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Anyone out there?

Anyone at all :) ?

3. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David
    sent mail, but repeat it hear, go for component.

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Thanks masher. :thumbsup:
    What about progresive scan on the loewe. my dvd player will out put a progresive scan signal, do you know if the tv is up to it?

5. holocaust

holocaust
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Dave

I don't think your Nemos will do progressive through its scart component input (AV3). I know my Articos does not and no model Loewe Im aware of will do prog scan through AV3. If you send an NTSC signal into AV3 then the set does de-interlace the feed first before displaying it using the internal chipset.
    As for component or RGB - again different posters have found different results, some prefer component, some think RGB is slightly better. I only have RGB out on my DVD recorder which doubles as my player so for me its a non-issue anyway! As for the cable - I think Ixos did a cable - Scart to 5 Phono (or RCA depending on how you name them) which people used to connect 3 x component outs and 2 x audio outs from DVD into Scart AV3 connection on Loewe
    By the way the optional VGA card does both PAL and NTSC progressive scan though - theres some excellent posts with regards to the Loewe VGA card and progressive scans on these forums including some really informative reviews.
    Some of the results sound stunning and one day I'll get around to testing myself I hope - however there are issues with regards to getting the image to fill a full screen as all of the resizing options normally available (16/9 4/3 Zoom etc) are bypassed when you go direct into the VGA card.
    Hope the info helps. Im going to sulk about the penalties now!!
    :(

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    HI again holocaust !
    Thanks for that mate. :smashin:

And masher, if you fancy a good laugh, see if you can find my thread"calling all loewe owners" you will see how I ended up with the nemos in the first place :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :rotfl:

7. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

The Loewe range can accept progressive scan signals through the optional VGA input, but it's incompatible with the progressive component outputs on your dvd player.

The only option to feed it a progressive dvd signal is through a PC's dvd drive, which isn't practical for most people. Some people have reported getting good results by using a line doubler such as an iscan, but results can be a bit hit and miss, mainly because the picture isn't displayed in the correct proportions, and the Loewe's geometry controls only allow for limited adjustments.

There's a link here with an indepth test of the Loewe VGA card and getting it to display progressive scan.

Cheers.

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi there fat bob!!
    Thanks for that mate :thumbsup:

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    I would also advise that you get set up disc like Digital Video Essentials and perhaps try s-video in as well. You may actually find it is better than either of the "theoretically" better RGB/YPrPb signals.

Using a good external scaler whoudl allow you to get a progressive signal in to the VGA socket of the Loewe. However this will cost.....

Gordon

10. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Have recently spoken to keene electronics about making up a lead that will do component yPrPb and audio left and right to scart. aparently its a lead that tey will be adding to there range by the end of the week. A 2 meter lead will cost just under £30.00

Questions
    are keene electronics any good? ie customer service quality of cables and workman ship?

Are there any other cables on the market that will do this? I tried looking for an ixos one as suggested by holocaust but so far have had no luck. :)

11. helicon2

helicon2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi David,

As I have an Articos on order, I am also interested in this question and have seen a few posts on this before, as someone else said - there was mixed opinions.

The cable I think you require is a QED one (not Ixos), here's a link to the cable:- http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/av29.html

I'm sure if you do a search, you may find out some more information on what was said before but it would nice to get some up-to-date info on how people are getting on with RGB/Component on Loewe's.

12. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I posted this a while ago on another thread:
    -----------------
    On my Tosh Strata with Philips 963sa, component connection with Supra AV3 was considerably better than RGB with Thor Scart.
    On my Loewe Mimo with Sony NS930 the same is also true. In both instances component was more detailed, more film like and much more 3D. Colours were also much better.

Problem is there are a number of variables involved. Could be that both tvs handled component better than RGB. Could be that both players output better with component. Could also be that the Supra cable was just much better than the Thor cable.

The difference though was clear.
    -------------------

I have recently tried my Netgem digibox with the Thor Scart transmitting both RGB and component. I can see no difference in picture quality. This leads me to believe that it simply the difference in cable quality which is improving the picture quality. Could well be worth trying out the Supra AV6 or the QED Sqart cables. As long as you can return them if you personally can't see a difference then you won't lose out.

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Right.
    I know this is daft question but what are the six phono outs on the qed cable listed by ace2 in the above post. Audio left, audio right, component 1,2,3 and what is the sixth one. Do I bother using it? :D

here it is again

www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/av29.html

14. helicon2

helicon2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not 100% sure about this David but I think the sixth cable end is a 'sync' cable but I'm not quite sure if you need or not?!! And what it exactly does!

Perhaps somebody with more knowledge can help us!

15. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi again ace2 :hiya:

The cable that keene electronics said they will be doing will only be 5 phono into scart so perhaps you dont need the 6th one. I really must try and get hold of a cable that will do this and test it . The picture with R.G.B is very good but does seem as if it is a little soft and ever so slightly washed out. I have callibrated to picture the best I can with the digital video essentials disc so really I would like to see what the component picture is like for my self before spending £30.00 on a cable.

Masher says that component is better but I would still like to see it for myself before I buy the cable. Does anyone know of any company that will take a cable back with out any hassel so I can test it first??

I seemed to repeat my self alot there didnt I :zonked:

16. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I use the QED cable.

The sync pulse is carried on the Y component of the picture (and is set in the connections menu in the TV).

I need to have the CVBS (composite) connection plugged into my Sony 900 DVD player in order for the TV to auto detect a 16:9 signal.

So I need all six connections in total - three for the picture, two for the sound and one for the aspect ratio.

This may be worth bearing in mind before you shell out.

17. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It has been quite long since I discussed CRTs in this forum, still keep my Vitros, and it is getting better every day, the last improvement I got by cutting the mains lead, fitting a RA male IEC and using a Van Den Hul Mainsstream BS power cable, amazing improvement, I couldnt believe, particularlly the increased depth, I see detail much "further" in the image, for instance the fans on football matches...

Also replaced the SCART, see thread above...

Any way, from what I remember, although the image is displayed in RGB, the DVD is stored in component, the Loewe also processes the signal internally in component format, so if you use RGB there are two extra conversions, one in the player and the other in the TV, I would think it can only spoil, as much I have no idea, but it should spoil some...

18. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Took the plunge and order the qed av29 from hificable uk today, so when it turns up will let everyone know what i think. :D

19. Jack Bowyer

Jack Bowyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lowrider

Interested in your mains upgrade using Van Den Hul cable, just done a quick google search on this cable and noticed its not cheap cable - £185 for 2m ?!

Can you tell me how you fitted yours - do you take out the complete mains wire and replace it with this ? Is it something you can do yourself ?

What about doing your DVD, VCR and Sat etc or is this going abit over the top ?

And do you use any sort of mains filter ?

Sorry for all the questions :smoke:

Jack

20. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a 1.5 meter Mainsstream BS, same wire, less isolation, less 20% price, 165 euro with a small discount...

I cut the original lead, left almost 10cm, then attached a male IEC from Russ Andrews...

I have the top Mainsstream, 210 euro each, on my DVD, processor and amplifier, just ordered another pair of BS for the two subwoofers, no mains filter, good wall socket from HMS and 8 way power bar with thick 2,5mm wire from Audio Agile...

Also a Silencer somewhere else in the same mains spur and Stillpoints ERS inside the lid of the DVD, it does an excelent job absorbing and dissipating RF and EMF...

21. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont have a VCR, also wrapped ERS around the external power supply of the cabletv box and use good cables with it, great image and sound...

22. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    OK.
    got the qed cable av29.
    very good picture indeed. It does seem sharper and the colurs slightly better. I was using a vivanco scart lead before so it could just be that the qed laed is of better quality. :smashin:

23. Duggie

Duggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello David,
    I am considering buying the qed av29. Did you need the sixth phono connector and if so where? After a week's use what are thoughts now about the cable? Do you think the picture quality justifies the price of the cable (£55 for 1 metre) as opposed to a good quality rgb scart to scart cable at around half the price?
    Duggie

24. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own and have compared both the

QED AV29 Componant to Scart (65 pounds)
    vs
    Chord Company RGB Scart to Scart (125 pounds)

The tv was an Aconda 9381 and the dvd player a Pioneer DV-757ai

when doing a componant v.s RGB comparison you have to factor in one important thing - most dvd players that have both componant and scart use a lower quality chip for outputing the RGB scart.

ie most cheaper players use the 12bit video chip for the componant output but a 10bit one for the scart/av/rf output.
    So this may mislead people into thinking that the componant is better when using a Loewe tv but this is not the case.

The Pioneer 757 i used to have uses the same 12 bit video chip on all outputs so it is a fair comparison.

Winner was the Chord RGB Scart. Detail levels were the same with both cables but with the RGB cable the color was richer and brighter. The reds and blues really stood out in switching tests between the two cables.

But now the Pioneer is sold and I have no use for a scart to scart lead now. This lead cost me 125 pounds, is pure silver cabling, make an offer ;)