Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Loewe Aventos

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mr Chuffy, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have any information regarding picture quality/geometry/reliability on the Loewe Aventos 3981ZWP. I am considering buying this after having 3 Sony 32Fx66s and finding numerous problems with them,....not least of which two major probs were buzzing and bowing of screen at bottom of set. Am after somethng that will show off XBOX, Sky Digital and DVD player (Tosh SD 220).
    By the way has anyone heard about a new stand for the Toshiba 32ZD26P. BUYYOURAV.com has this on their site with a funky new stand which to me looks much better than that grill thingy they usually have.
    Help is appreciated as usual.

2. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a look at the Aventos on Saturday at a local dealer as I really wanted to get one if any good. Advice - save your money.

The picture on RGB DVD is inferior to at least the Toshiba 32ZD26P. Worse the actual build quality is a joke for such an expensive TV without a stand. On display with its optional stand it wobbled and the stand can only house a VCR or other one box component - useless. Basically to get the price down Loewe have chosen some really cheap thin black plastic to construct the TV from and it shows badly. Build quality is in the same league as a £300 Beko or similar from Powerhouse.

3. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm. Saw one myself yesterday at a local dealer and it was the platinum version. I must say it looked OK, not particularly flash. They had it hooked up to a Harmon Kardon DVD player and it looked fairly impressive. Feature wise though it seems really good, prog scan, 2 RGB scarts, many picture processing features....plus WHAT VIDEO gave it 5 out of 5 in this months edition. I've also managed to find it for £935 incl delivery!
    Dunno what to do.....I'm just not sure of what else is better! All the other sets seem to have one fault or another (ie phillips, panny) although it seems the Philiips 9617 got a lot of good press.

4. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Where about did you see this set for £935 inc? I quite like the look of it myself!

Regards

5. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was tvandvideodirect.com

I phoned up this morning and got a quote.....

still not sure though...would need to buy a stand and they aren't cheap for corner spaces. just pondering my next move. am tempted to try another sony 32fx66. £950 incl del from JL - Sheffield and 5 year warranty. The Sony is nice, just plagued with problems.

6. jase the space

jase the space
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mr Chuffy

Where did you find out that the Aventos could accept Prog Scan? Are you referring to using the VGA adpator (as with the older range of Loewes) which restricts the image size or have they added a built-in PS mode?

I actually like the look of this TV from the images on the web (haven't seen it in person) and it is a reasonable sized box for a 32"

7. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Found it out on the Loewe website www.loewe.de. It lists all the features and from what I can gather incorporates prog scan. In fact the features list looks fairly impressive. I hope I'm right anyway or else I'll look fairly stupid!
    Check it out and see.

8. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    It looks like it just has on board progressive scan, not the facility to accept progressive scan from a DVD player etc. I don't think it has component inputs?

9. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well it does say that one of the inputs is component. Input 1 I think.....

10. jase the space

jase the space
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It definitely has component inputs (possible via AV3) and the technical summary on the Loewe web site states that is has "digital progressive scan" (whereas the Vitros does not!). Not sure what this is though!

11. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny thing is though that in the review in WHAT VIDEO they made no mention of this feature.? It certainly seems a big plus point if it is correct!
    maybe it will give the Toshiba 32ZD26 a run for its money?
    Still not sure whether to get one though due to their newness. I am running out of energy checking out different tvs and will have to take the plunge very soon.

12. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    It will accept an interlace component input through AV3 [SCART] but you can only get progressive through Component [3 x RCA] due to Macrovision...

13. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but what does that mean....sorry but I am a newbie to prog scan and still haven't got my head round it. I have a multiregion DVD player and my collection consists of 90% R1 films. Will it make the picture better? (I have a Tosh 220SD DVD)

14. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    LOL! There is loads of information on this but basically yes, progressive scan gives a better picture! There are two types. Those where the processing is done on the set [OK] and those were the processing is done on the DVD player [Better]. Where it is done on the player it must be outputted from the component sockets into component sockets [not SCART] on a TV/Plasma/PJ [must be capable of accepting a progressive signal]. In your case the Tosh 220 does not output Progressive Scan anyway, just interlace.

As I said, there is loads of info if you want to find out more...

15. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so do you think it seems like a good deal for £930 without stand? any other recommendations? I'm fed up of looking and I think this site is putting demons in my head so that I can't actually buy any TV without knowing about some fault!!!!!
    Just so tired........!!!!!

16. jase the space

jase the space
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mr Chuffy

Just noticed that the Bassalt Vitros 6381 can be had for £1148.99 + Del from ww.tvandvideodirect.com just to confuse you even more. This should have slightly more features over the Aventos (I had one once!) but is a slightly bigger box and probably has a better build quality. Although from what I have seen I think I prefer the Aventos.

I had problems with Moire on my Vitros (in all modes including PAL) and couldn't accept this for the price I paid (£1450 6 months ago) so it went back. This is a problem with the Philips tube which they may use in the Aventos as well. The Aventos has slightly less features on the digital processing side of things as well.

Anyway just thought I'd let you know.

17. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys honestly if you are going to look to buy an Aventos please see one on display first its build really is poor compared to sets higher up the range or indeed to other brands. For example the rear cover flexes very badly when touched - its that thin !

Consider sticking to a good 50Hz set like the Panasonic TX32-PL1 or JVC 28" /32" AVxxR25S or AVxxT25S if you don't want to be plague by all manner of problems associated with 100Hz sets. i.e. noisy buzzing, faint vertical lines, motion blurr, over processed pixelated images.

These sets have no digital nasties and have great reviews.