1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aventos vs Sony KV32fq80

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bodyfodder, Apr 3, 2003.

1. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im torn between the two after seeing them in the shop and cant decide. Does anyone here have an Aventos?

If so whats the pic quality like in RGB mode with DVD or games consoles? Is it as good as the Sony with DRC?

any help would be great.

2. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
  3. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have the FQ80

flawless picture (even via RF) !

DRC is brilliant , awesome detail in either mode

I can only speak from my own experience and say that even after I compared a Aventos against the FQ80 in JL the Sony was at least equal , if not better for picture

In term's of looks there was no comparison

Even the Sony remote was better

here's a list of features

100hz , drc50 (4 times res) ,drc100 (2 times res)
    four scarts,two tuners,PIP,POP,PIT etc etc etc
    2000 page teletext memory

LOL

:laugh:

4. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys.

Mansell, you seem very happy with your FQ80 but other members dont. It seems that almost EVERYONE that has an Aventos is very happy with it!

You are right about the looks of the Sony being better as i think the Aventos looks a bit cheap!

5. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Looks can deceptive!

My Aventos is better quality - stick a scart lead in the back of both & notice the difference!

My old FX66 was like any other product - the scart sits in nicely but you kinda feel that it's a little flimsy. Slap one in the Aventos & it's locked in.

As they say 'beauty is only skin deep' :nono:

6. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mdou.

What is the DMI plus like on your Aventos? Do you use it or do you leave it off?

I only ask as some members of this forum leave this option off on their Loewes.

7. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've nothing against the Aventos and came very close to buying one after returning my fourth Panny PB50 .

but I just fell in love with the Sony and could not see any reason to buy the Aventos (other than to be diferent)

8. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've only had the set a day BUT I found that the picture looks great will all the digital processing on (I have good Thor scarts which helps.)

I have the sharpness on the lowest setting which may affect how harsh the DP looks if it is higher (?)

The DP is alot better than my old Sony FX66 (but I personally think I had a duff set!)

9. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one more thing mate....

Whats does the XBOX look like on it? On my current Sony 4:3 it looks a bit blurred and out of focus!

Thanks.

10. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Although not the same but similar, I had a SonyFX66 and was not satisfied with its RGB performance. It suffered from poor colour convergence and ghosting. It was replaced by another FX66 (exactly the same). Looked again in detail at the rest of the Sony 100Hz range and they were very similar, including the FQ80. Just as bad.

The Loewe range was much, much better. It is just miles better in all departments.

Another thing I noticed is that digital TV looks so much better with the Loewe. Hardly any blocking is noticable, whereas with the Sony it was blatantly obvious.

I use RGB for all sources, Digital TV, XBOX and DVD.

11. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Lesmond has hit the nail on the head.

I have the xbox advanced scart lead so I get RGB & DD - on my previous Sony (28" 4:3) the RGB was superb.
    The FX66's poor convergence & RGB performance mean't I actually played my xbox less!!

The Loewe is lovely - back to being like my old 4:3 Sony. :smashin:

One thing I will say is make sure the Loewe is set up right.:nono:

Mine was initially set so the TV hadn't recognised the AV sockets properly - the xbox looked poor (not sharp or colourful) to start with.
    After 5 minutes telling the TV that a DVD was on AV3 & to set it to RGB it looked great! :D

12. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lesmond! Thats what i wanted to hear!

Im still quite confused about the difference in the Loewe models.
    Is there any major difference in the Aventos and the Vitros apart from the look of it?

On the Loewe website it states that the Vitros has both "DMI" and "DMI plus" but the Aventos has just got "DMI plus" on its own. Is this a mistake on the Loewe website or are they two seperate features?

13. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think the Aventos doesn't have a flat screen, whereas the Vitros does?

14. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Aventos does have a flat screen. As i said the specs on the Loewe web site are confusing. Lesmond do you have a Vitros? If so does your tv have "DMI" or "DMI plus" and what is your MediaPlus chassis number.

Thanks.

15. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think this is correct, from my auditions of the vitros and the aventos I belive they are both flat screens, the Loewe site both describes them as having "real flat tubes" as opposed to the Planus which has the super-flatline tube (which is not flat).

I think that other than build quality, the only difference you'll see between the Vitros and the Aventos is some aspects of the software, the Chassis is different strictly speaking, perhaps Groundy could elucidate on that point?

Edit: the Vitros has the Q2500M chassis nowadays (mores the pity!)

Jag

16. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Vitros has a Q2500M chassis with V3.xx software

I could be wrong, but the entry level Loewes have the 'Super Flatline picture tube', as opposed to the 'Real Flat picture tube'...

They sound like the same thing, but the Flatline is not 100% flat whereas the RealFlat is, er, really flat.... I think..... :rolleyes:

17. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jagsta.
    On your Vitros with the Q2500M chassis do you have "DMI Plus" or just "DMI"? The Loewe website says the the Q2500M also has "DMM" but iv read on this forum that this is no loger the case!

Help im so confused!!!

18. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bodyfodder,

to be honest i'm in the same boat after a week of Vitros ownership, i.e. i'm still not sure! I know that the 2400 chassis had more features for the Vitros, namely PAP (which is now gone on the 2500, only PIP and iPIP now). Also DMM has gone.

In the menu it is referred to as DMI, not DMI Plus, I don't know whether that means that it doesn't have it, or that they simpy refer to it as the same thing.

My advice would be to contact Linn if you are concerned about it. Personally I prefer the picture with everything disabled with the exception of DNC, so the DMI/DMI Plus/DMM options are irrelevant to me, but as I say if it is a matter that is important to you, speak to Linn who should be able to confirm the details.

One thing I will say is the Loewe website shows the Vitros with DMM, it definitely doesn't have that anymore, so don't take the technical spec as verbatim!

The thing with a Loewe to be honest is that the picture is the closest thing to a natural display you are going to get within this price bracket, for all the nobs and whistles on the Sonys and Phillips the bottom line is the Loewe seems to do its job better than any TV in the models I have seen on Display.

I was slightly dissapointed with the functionality, there are a couple of things i felt were missing, but the picture is something I smile about every evening.

Jag

19. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I leave everything turned on and have sharpness set to 2 - flawless. :)

20. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that one thing it is important to get across is that despite the fact that two different manufacturers may share the same tube (like Phillips and Loewe for example) I truly feel that the software, algorithms used and design methodology employed by Loewe are superior to the majority of rivals.

For example, the sharpness that Lesmond mentions, is down to personal taste, however, if you choose to use the sharpness feature, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the subtlety of the effect.

Look at plain backgrounds or swathes of colour, the noise reduction algorithm is quite effective at avoiding grain in these areas. My personal choice is to have it set to 1 (the lowest setting on a Vitros), as I feel the picture is sharp enough natively. Again, horses for courses, and the great thing is you have the flexibility to choose, as it isn't implemented so badly that its unusable.

Jag

21. harmunt

harmunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm on my second Aventos set due to it's absolutely appalling 100Hz processing - Jaggies everywhere. Not one setting makes a jot of difference (not even via the service menu).

Also, the RGB signal is processed and not 'true', hence video gaming is quite poor.

And finally, the dreaded moire effect on NTSC output. With 60% of my DVD collection being R1, this makes a difference to me.

I am currently in negotiation with my supplier for a full refund. I just know that a third set woill be the same. For the moment I am quite happy to stick with my 10 year old JVC 29" 4:3 until manufacturers manage to make a half decent set.

:(

22. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Been there done that with my Panny, it's not nice is it when you are faced with multiply faulty sets , go with your gut instinct .

23. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,
    I have the FQ80 and would certainly recommend it.
    The picture is perfect and as stated it's a good looking set. Not compared it with a loewe but all I can say is I'm very happy with it and as for recently released dvd playback from my sony7700 I'd be hard pushed to be convinced it could be bettered!!
    Andrew