1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aventos Switching

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Browny, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Browny

Browny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I wonder if you can help.

I have a problem with Sky going through my VCR on AV1. I have on AV2 my DVD and on AV3 is my X Box.

All seemed well until tonight now if I turn off the VCR it does not show the Sky signal just a black screen.

Before this was not an issue, I have looked at the connection wizard and set it up two or three times but to no avail.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Browny

Browny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it from the lack of response nobody knows anything about this problem

3. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure that this is the answer, but:

Loewes ask you to set up AV connections by "registering" devices on the onscreen menus. And each of the 3 main AV inputs is optimised for different purposes. Were it not for the X-box, you should really connect the DVD player to AV3, vcr to AV1, and your SKY box to AV2, telling the Aventos that these are the devices connected in each case.

I have found on my Loewe that connecting SKY to anything other than AV2 (and instructing the set that a "satellite receiver" has been connected) results in poorer pictures - as does putting it on AV2 but simply describing it as "another AV device" and setting output to RGB.

Similarly DVD players are only at their best on a Loewe when connected and registered as such with AV3.

Of course you have the Xbox - of which I know nothing. But if this thing is OK on S-vid or video I'd either slave the Vcr to the SKY box on AV2 and either get AV1 to share with X-box on a powered scart switcher or else slave the vcr to the sky box on AV2 (Sky first in line for RGB) and relegate X-box to AV1. This latter method means you lose the benefits of the Loewe being i-linked to the vcr but that's a minor inconvenience. I do this with a home cinema receiver and find no picture quality loss on my vcr at AV1 (I tell set that there is a VCR AND "another AV device" so that I can set input on AV1 to "video")

Hope this helps???

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sounds like you have a seriously freaky set then. The device types are nothing but labels. All that counts is whether you have set the appropriate scart socket to accept the correct signal types.

5. Browny

Browny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys.

The strange thing is that when I disconnect the VCR and connect the Sky box direct I recieve the signal again.

I read somewhere on the forum that if the "digital signal" is not strong enough through the VCR then it cannot output onto the screen.

One of the other things I did not mention is that when the VCR is switched from VCR to TV mode I get a blue screen with just audio.
    I can however still watch videos and tape off of Sky.

Is it possbly because the VCR is about five years old and "losing" this signal because before it went completly it was flickering between picture and blue screen.

It also did this on a stand by Loewe Aventos I had whilst waiting for my original Philips to be sorted (that's another story all on it's own!").

6. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I beg to differ. On the Aconda at any rate the option to change the signal at AV2 (rgb, s-vhs etc..)is removed when you select "satellite receiver" - because the set has a predetermined setting for that type of device. That may just mean that the set is permanently set to Auto- video/s-vhs, rgb or something else. But the picture performance is generally better than manually setting AV2 to rgb (or any other setting - I've tried them all!) having told the set that its just "another av device".

Ditto AV1. The option to set the input is removed here if you select VCR - only becoming available when you choose "another AV device".

Perhaps Aventos is different. I've helped a friend set one up but we did nothing other than set it up as per the on screen menu recommendations.....

7. Browny

Browny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any more ideas to help me solve this problem, it is very frustrating

8. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Browny. Is the Sky box set to output RGB? If so, and the VCR pass through is to AV1, you will get a black screen and sound only.

That's because the Aventos sets AV1 for VCR, outputting either "video" or "s-vhs". AND because AV1 won't take RGB anyway.

The solution, if you insist on using AV1 for SKY is to tell the SKY box to output ordinary video/composite instead of RGB.

Better still, connect it to AV2 which CAN read RGB and enjoy better pictures.....

9. Browny

Browny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barry thank you for your advice I will try it to see if the picture does improve any.

However I in my frustration turned off all units ie. TV,DVD,X Box VCR and Sky from the mains and then turned back on.

Everything is now working okay. All I can think of is something has reset itself and cured the problem