1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe aventos component

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ebrouwer, Apr 15, 2003.

1. ebrouwer

ebrouwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to connect a Xcard from sigma designs to the component input of my loewe aventos. The Xcard is a pc mpeg decoder card.

All I get is a "no signal" message on the tv

I use the correct cable. I checked this.
    There is a signal comming from the xcard with a solid sync pulse on Y.
    I checked this with a scope

The av3 scart is set to YUV with sync on Y

any options ?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I take it you mean you are sending a component signal to the Scart input? If so you should be aware it only accepts 480i or 576i on that input.

If you are using VGA (optional) socket it won't work. My experience with Q2400 chassis Loewe's is that they crush white detail on RGB and YPrPb inputs. I've yet to get hold of a Q2500 to check one of them!

Gordon

3. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Gordon,

What do you mean by the 2400 chassis' crush white detail on RGB and YPrPb inputs ? This via the normal AV sockets ? Is it correctable ?

Many thanks,

Mark.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Buckster: I calibrated 3 different Q2400 chassis'd Loewe's (Vitros, Aconda's) over a space of about 2 months last year. All exhibited the same thing.

When fed a component or RGB signal from the clients DVD player , in to the SCART socket, bright white detail would be lost. It was irretrievable. I presume it is to do with the design of the digital video processing within the set. I was unabel to adjust anything to bring it back.

I wrote and faxed Loewe UK, as well as speaking with one of the service guys to see if they had any ideas. End result is that I still don't know if it's fixable after 9-12months......and they are on Q2500 so they probably don't care to find out.

Gordon

To see this artifact get AVIA and put up Needle Pulse and steps pattern in Black adn White levels menu. The brightest moving bar will not be visible. I'm sure that many/most folk do not notice this but that doesn't mean they shouldn't get it right. S-Video and Composite are unaffected. I would still avoid composite at all costs though

5. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

I have a Q2500M Chassis Vitros, so if you're ever in Leeds and want to satisfy your (and my) curiosity then feel free to drop in! ;)

Unfortunately a full calibration is well out of my price league, so i doubt i'll ever know if my set suffers the same problem.

Jag

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I'm in LEEDS tomorrow. Don't know if I'll have time to stick head in. Please email your address so I can look at map.
    convergentav@btinternet.com

Gordon

7. ebrouwer

ebrouwer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a 576i signal I tried to send to the aventos
    the xcard has different settings for progressive output.
    But I'll check this.

about the white detail
    the aventos is 2500M
    can this crush of white detail be checked with the THX calibration provided on some dvd's?
    I have an older dvd player connected by s-video.
    I could not tell the difference between the four white (gray) blocks on the thx contrast test. I hoped this was the dvd player's fault.

8. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Gordon,

Are you saying that we get better detail in high contrast pictures with S-Video over Component/RGB ?

I did one test tonight (on S-Video and Component): on THX optimiser on Lilo and Stitch (R1) - on the first test with the white block made up of different shades of white, you can't see the different blocks no matter what contrast or even brightness setting you set the TV to (you can see them on the R2 optimiser DVDs).

One other question please: did you notice on your calibration travels with Loewes that Component in for PAL is a lot more washed out colour wise than NTSC. When playing the same DVD, R1 and then R2 version, in RGB, both of them look the same colour wise, in Component the R1 colour depth is similar to RGB but on the R2 it is quite a bit washed out. I can't work out if it is the DVD player (Pioneer 656) or the Loewe.

For all its minor quibbles - I still love the Loewe set - MUCH better than the Panasonic I had.

Thanks very much for any help,

Mark.