1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

loewe aventos[artifacts]

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MAR, Oct 9, 2003.

1. MAR

MAR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for being dumb,but I thought I better check.I have a loewe aventos 32 and have started to notice when the screen is quite dark, after images of the picture before.Is this artifacts or something different, and is there any preffered settings[contrast
    etc] to remove or minimse this.
    Cheers for any help.

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It might help if you can provide details of what settings you're using at the moment for the group to see if there's anything amiss in that regard.

3. MAR

MAR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true,my current settings are
    contrast 40
    picture adjustment normal
    colour 35
    brightness 30
    sharpness 2
    tint 0
    dnc on
    dmi on
    amd on
    chassis q2500/m software v3.8
    Also while I'm here,I've seen athread saying that you can link a dvd with component out to a scart in av3,is this better than scart rgb.
    Cheers

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have calibrated my Mimo using Avia and the settings are:

contrast 34
    picture adjustment normal
    colour 38
    brightness 26
    sharpness 1 (you may find it soft at first, but it definitely gives the most natural and detailed picture)
    tint 0
    dnc off

dmi ever so slightly softens the image but removes some interlacing line twitter. It also smoothes out onscreen movement but sometimes it struggles and seems to create jerkiness. Sometimes i use it and sometimes i don't depending on what i am watching.

These settings may or may not be the best for your set so i would suggest using Avia or an equivalent tool.

5. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Ony my Vitros I have DMM set to on now and sharpness to 0, sharpness to 0 took around 3 months to get used to - but now I have, I really like it, gives a nice solid look to everything.

DMM is interesting, with my old Pioneer 535 via RGB and DMM looked too "fluid" like a computer game almost, yet with my Pioneer 656 I now have it looks much more realistic and much less artefacts (although these are much reduced anyway with sharpness set to 0 than 1 for DMM) On artefacts note, I get loads of artefacts if DMM and DNR are on, almost as if too much processing for the internals to handle.

On the component in via AV-3- I tried it with an expensive QED Sqart AV29 on my Pioneer 656 and found that Component was worse quality than that of RGB ! Cost a lot to find that out (I'd at that point sold my QED RGB Sqart - oops !)

My settings:

Contrast 39
    Colour 28
    Sharpness 0
    DNR Off
    DMI/DMM DMM
    Brightness 25

Mark.

6. MAR

MAR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,I will try these settings but it definately looks like I am quite high on my contrast.Also what is Avia,and what does it do.

7. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    http://www.ovationsw.com/avia.html

Piero ordered a load of them from the States and was selling them for £25. He may have some left.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66336&highlight=avia

Actually you could just get hold of a copy of Terminator 2 UE or Toy Story 1/2. Maybe the new Star Wars movies also. These discs all have Audio and Video calibration tests. They are no where near as comprehensive as Avia but when i used the T2 disc i ended up with very similar results on colour contrast etc as i did with Avia. You will need a blue filter for the colour tests though(any bit of translucent blue plastic will do)

8. igstephenson

igstephenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re: component input on Loewe TV's

I too tried using component input on AV3 (on my Mimo 32) and have to say I found it worse than RGB! My component-to-scart cable was returned in exchange for a nice pair of Ixos XHT611 scarts.

Just my tuppence worth!

Cheers

IanS

9. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent ages swapping between the AV29 and RGB special edition SQARTs on my Aconda's AV3. And arrived at the same conclusion: forget component. Best picture from my Panny S75 DVD is by RGB.

But I have to say thats not always the case. Did the same exercise with my friend's Aventos and Toshiba 220 - in his case the compnent input by AV29 was definitely, if only slightly, the better picture! As, bizarrely was the case on my Aconda for viewing JPEG stills only, on two Toshiba 330s I had before finally settling with the Panasonic.

But given that the RGB picture is so good from all sources (except the Tosh 330 - see earlier thread "Toshiba 330 Quirk") you should only consider the AV29 if you are ready to return it somewhere who will give you your money back (or just keep it on the off chance you'll one day have a use for it...)

I tried calibrating my set using the Video Essentials NTSC disk- but the settings produce an over saturated picture on PAL so that I always wind up reducing the colour. I'm waiting for a PAL disc from Play which I understand will be out on Oct 20th. However my settings (which on contrast/brightness reflect what VE and my eyes suggest) are:

Contrast: 38 for SKY, 39 for everything else.
    Brightness 24
    Colour 26
    DMI - on for SKY, off for everything else
    DNR - off
    DMM- off
    Sharpness - 2 (ie one up fron nothing which on the Aconda is 1)

Buckster: I've tried the sharpness at 1 several times - but I never get used to it and my wife complains that the picture is too soft..... so not had the luxury of 3 months to try it! Never with DMM on though. Will experiment.

10. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    As long as you are using component or RGB, it does not matter whether the disc is PAL or NTSC. Colour, brightness, contrast are not affected by PAL/NTSC differences when using component or RGB. I've used NTSC Avia, NTSC Toy Story 2 Optimode and PAL T2 Optimode. My settings have come out the same regardless of the disc used.

If you are using sharpness at anything above the lowest setting, all you are doing is introducing artificial noise to make you think the picture is sharper. It takes about a week to get used to it. If then you go back to a higher setting you will definitely see that noise.

11. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kwangomango

Interesting points.

Perhaps then I simply find the "correct" settings too saturated. However perhaps the Loewe - like many/most sets - does not show true RGB: since my understanding is that true RGB would mean that colour settings would have no effect whatsoever on the picture. The RGB picture from my DVD decks is clearly the best available - and that is very good indeed - but I can alter the colour.

The VE disc settings give me a colour setting in the high 30s: at which point most images are, in my view, ludicrously over saturated. Whether AV3 is set to RGB, Component, S-VHS or anything else. However NTSC discs, eg Region 1s' of The Blues Brothers and Brazil, although still a tad too colourful for my taste do not seem so ridiculously colour-rich. And they are a bit thin on the 26 setting. There is a clear difference. Perhaps if I allowed the set to do the default PAL60 conversion, instead of telling it to act as NTSC, all the pictures would be similar for saturation???

I'm very aware that I should use the lowest sharpness setting. I actually have no problem doing this on every other set I know, including a friend's 32" widecreen Panasonic, neighbour's 32" Sony and my own second set, a 4:3 Phillips. I'm infamous for tweaking TV pictures - and always reduce everyone's sharpness to "1" or its equivalent. I even do it in hotel bedrooms! Just not on the Aconda or my friend's Aventos...... on which I've not yet managed to get away from the obviously silly notion that these sets actively soften the picture at 1, is spot on at 2, and introduce unwanted noise at 3 and upwards. But I'll try again..:)

12. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAR

In response to your original post regarding the 'afterimage' on dark screens, like an imprint when the picture drops to black for example, in my experience this is simply down to the DNC.

With DNC on it'll happen. Turn it off and it won't.

Regards
    Dan