1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aventos: any real problems?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by sr78, Jul 28, 2003.

1. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After the disaster of my last set (JVC HD25) I'm looking for a new set. I've decided to sacrifice progressive scan if the new set is (virtually) trouble free. I hadn't found any set that did appear to be trouble free, but from what I've read the Loewe Aventos might be it. Superb picture quality which might make me forget the progressive picture of the JVC (about the only thing that was good about it).

However, I have a few questions regarding the Aventos:

- flickering when viewing NTSC DVDs. Apparently this can be remedied by switching DMI off. What does DMI do, and is it a problem to switch it off? Do other Aventos owners report the problem with NTSC discs?

- RGB shift: I use two game consoles, and some set (including my old JVC) have a shift to the right of over an inch. I know Sony has the option on its sets to shift the RGB channel. I have read that the Aventos has this as well, but that it's 'hidden'. Can anyone confirm that the Aventos can do this? Can it be limited to a single RGB SCART (for example, no shift on the SCART which has the DVD player, shift on the SCART on which the console is)? How is it accessed?

- pixellation: how does this set perform with moving images? Football games looked terrible on my JVC, my 15 year old Sony performed way better. How does the Aventos do?

2. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The RGB shift can be called up by pressing the i button on the remote which brings up the complete index listing the TV's features and operation.

DMI inserts an additional frame to smooth out motion seen very clearly with scrolling titles at the end of programmes and also completely eliminate horizontal line flicker. However DMI can make the picture look rather processed so I leave it off.

There are absolutely no issues with smearing of fast moving images, the 100Hz engine is flawless in this respect. As for pixellation (sigh) I use Freeview which can produce DVD quality images on my Aventos and other times very blocky pixellated, the TV being 100Hz will show this up m ore than a 50Hz. Reducing the sharpness setting from 3 default to 1 or 2 reduces pixellation but I find also makes the picture look blurred.

I would say honestly my previous Toshiba Strata pips the Aventos for absolute picture quality overall but went back due to annoying loud buzzy transformer on the PSU board (common complaint reading this forum !). The Aventos only real weakness is its use of cheap poorly fitting plastics for the casework for a TV of its price, and if you can call it a weakness highlights very easily poor quality source material and makes it look exactly that.

Food for thought ?

good luck.

3. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like I don't have to worry about the RGB shift.

DMI sounds to me like some sort of progressive scan imitation. Have you experienced the flickering when it's turned on using NTSC material?

I checked the set in the shop, it was using an RF signal (daisychained across the entire shop as usual...), and I didn't notice any pixellation. Picture wasn't perfect, but that can't be expected from such a signal. Compared to other sets, I wasn't too impressed on first sight, but on closer examination the set isn't as 'exciting' with colors, but it does look a bit more natural. I'll try to get a demo of it using my own DVD player in a couple of weeks. I'll definitely need to check it with a football match, since this seems to be The Test for 100hz TVs (although my parents' 4:3 100hz Sony copes very well with it).

I did notice that the back of the panel is a bit flimsy, and the casework isn't up to the standards of the more expensive Loewes. However, it's not that much worse than comparable Philipses, Sonys or JVCs. The design is very minimalistic; I think I'll get used to it as long as it performs the way I want it to :)