1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe aspect ratio switching

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kwangomango, Aug 19, 2003.

1. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Is there anyway to stop my Mimo from auto switching aspect ratios. I have disabled scart voltage and AMD but still it changes. During add breaks it sometimes switches ratios a number of times. My old Tosh had had the option to select auto aspect ratio ON/OFF.
    What exactly is AMD supposed to do BTW?

Thanks.

2. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you using digital TV or analogue ?
    Is it switching between 4:3 and 16:9 ?
    Is it mostly on channel 4 ?
    Are the ratios changing sensibly ?

If you're on analogue and channel 4 then they transmit some stuff that the Loewe detects as PALPlus and zooms the image in automatically - if this transmission flag varies then it would account for the aspect ratios changing

If you have digital then channel 4 sometimes switch ratios between the program and the adverts (eg friends is 4:3 and the bumpers are 16:9 then the adverts might be either/both)

AMD is meant to cleverly detect letterbox material and zoom it automatically to an appropriate level - I turned it off as it didn't seem to work too well for me

Otherwise you could have a problem with your kit - are the scart plugs firmly in ?

Phil

3. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I am viewing using $ky digibox and Freeview digibox. The set is sensibly switching ratios but i thought there was an option to disable this. I don't like it when a program is in 4:3 and the set switches to 16:9 for the ads and back to 4:3 after the ads. I suppose i could switch off the aspect ratio signal at source but was wondering why i can't get Mimo to ignore it.

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The set is correctly adjusting ratios from dvd source via scart. Is there any setting to stop this so that i can adjust the ratios manually?

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, but I could tell you how to do it in the service menu if you want?

6. whitcat

whitcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a newbie I don't mean to hijack this thread but please can someone answer another Loewe aspect question.

I have been thinking of the Aventos 3981 and found the specs to list five picture modes: 16:9, 4:3, Panorama, Cine and Zoom. I was worried that no 14:9 mode would be a problem. However, I looked at one today and the Panorama mode seemed to most closely resemble 14:9. There did seem to be a bit of horizontal stretching that I don't like though. Is is possible to adjust the picture (possibly via the service menu) so that it is a little less wide? I presume that the AMD only selects one of the five modes.

It did seem much better than Sony's Smart - I really don't like that mode as it is too stretched (though some Sonys only seemed to stretch the edges while others did the whole picture).

I plan to watch most material through Telewest digital so I would appreciate good auto-switching.

Also, what is the Cine mode for? It seemed to be somewhere between Panaorama and Zoom.

Thanks,

James