1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Articos & Component Video Cables

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Wilbur, May 21, 2002.

1. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got another thread running to try and get the best DVD player recommendation for my Articos (in 3 price brackets - £0-500, £501-1000 and £1001+).

Obviously I want to take advantage of the TV's component video scart input which means (i guess) that I would be a little stupid not to go for a DVD player with a component video output.

With all this in mind, does anybody have a cable recommendation to go from component video output on the DVD player to component video scart input on the Articos.

If this question is riddled with technical errors I apologise!

Thanks in advance...

Wilbur.

2. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, here's my opinion Wilbur...

It ain't worth it!! :eek:

When I ordered my Loewe Aconda I thought just as you did. I figured if I my telly accepts component signal and my Toshiba SD-220e DVD outputs it, then why not?

Well, I went ahead and ordered the cable and when I got around to hooking it up I was gobsmacked by the quality. It was full of colour, very detailed indeed, and really did look amazing.

However, this has it's disadvantages! First of all, I've been unable to get my Loewe to auto-switch to widescreen (16:9 mode) OR automatically display a DVD signal upon playing a disc. This means that I have to switch to the AV3 channel and then change the aspect ratio accordingly.

As I had a spare scart lead hanging around I decided to hook the DVD up though that just to see if there was a noticable difference, but..... NOTHING WHATSOEVER!

It may have been me (or may not!) but I couldn't see a difference between the RGB signal and a component signal. It wasn't easy to test this, however, because it meant changing to another channel and then going into the dvd player's menu to change the picture output from video (component) to RGB.

But as far as I could tell, there wasn't any difference in quality. In fact (again, this may just be me), RGB seemed *slightly* better. But that's not the shocker....

What really surprised me was that I paid almost £30 for that component lead, and the scart lead was a cheap 2 quid job. I still want to do more testing, as I can't believe there's no difference in quality, but from what I've seen I'd much rather use RGB if it means an automatic display of the signal and auto-switching.

Hope that helps. I'll be back! :D

3. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is really interesting to know, thanks for the speed of the post. I wonder if the auto-switching and aspect ratio business has been sorted out in the latest version of the Loewe chassis (2500 H on my Articos).

What chassis do you have on your Aconda?

4. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've got the same chassis, but I'll double-check when I get home later today.

I'm thinking, maybe the new QED 3 phono + composite sync to scart cable will enable the autoswitching or that other feature (as it uses a seperate composite sync instead of using the Y signal)??

Perhaps a few others could shed some light on this for us. :confused:

5. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the QED AV29?

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the DVD has component out through SCART, the Arcams do, you don´t have any of those problems...

7. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ouch.. and these players cost how much? :eek:

Yes, that's the cable I was referring to. I think it does allow for the auto-switching (I'm not 100% definite though) as it has a seperate composite sync.

However, if you do a search there is a thread somewhere about two guys having problems using this cable, some kind of signal cut-out if I remember correctly.

For the time being, I'll stick with my cheap scart cable for a RGB signal until we've come to a resolution re: component signals and Loewes (if we ever do!). It can get confusing at times!! :D

8. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone confirm if this cable (QED AV29) with allow for auto-switching and/or auto-displaying (i.e. the tv automatically showing the dvd signal)?

Also does anyone know where I can purchase this online? Since I need to purchase a cable to use anyway (I've now noticed that the cheap spare scart isn't very reliable) if I can find a component to scart cable with a sync on composite that allows for auto-switching then I may as well go for that (as long as the price isn't too high!!).

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Chord SCART RGB works, it has also composite and sound connected, but it is quite pricey...

10. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lowrider,

You're talking about a different cable. Scart to scart is useless to me since the Tosh DVD outputs component via 3 phonos which, as you know, is sent to the Loewe's AV3 scart socket.

All I'd like to know is whether or not a QED AV29 scart (or equivalent specification cable) will allow for autoswitching and autoplaying (or whatever the phrase is for dvd signals to be displayed immediately without having to flick to the channel).

I'm not too keen on getting the actual QED cable due to it's high cost but Keene will make the same cable (tho not as supreme in terms of build quality) for far cheaper.

Cheers!

11. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    zsaddique:

I have the QED AV2930 Component to Scart Cable. I also have the Q2500 chassis Aconda. However, I was having problems using the cable with the YUV (Sync on CVBS) setting but I think this is due to the DVD player's composite output rather than a problem with the cable or TV. I now use the YUV (Sync on Y) setting and everything works fine. This cable offers a noticeable improvement over chaeper brands and I would highly recommend it.

However, there is still no auto-switching facility when using the cable, be it in Sync on CVBS or Sync on Y mode. However, it does seem to automatically set the aspect ratio correctly. This may be due to the televsions AMD facility (which I set to on).

12. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay.. here I go again..... :D

Firstly, what DVD player do you use Groundy? I have a Tosh SD-220e and when I had it connected via a 3-phono component to AV3 scart with sync set to Y it NEVER switched to 16:9 aspect ratio by itself.

Are you sure your telly (set to sync on Y) does switch aspect ratio's for anamorphic DVD's to 16:9??? If it is, and you still have the composite cable connected, does disconnecting that cable itself stop this?

Because I'm told that a component cable will ONLY allow the Loewe to switch to 16:9 IF a composite cable is connected too (i.e. the QED AV29 cable).

Right now, I'm using a very very cheap scart to send RGB signal from the DVD to the Aconda, this way it plays the DVD straight away in the right format without me pressing a button on the Loewe remote.

I'm just trying to decide whether to get a high quality scart (as I don't want to use the cheap one permanently) or a cable the same spec as QED AV29 made (the QED is too expensive).

I'll ONLY get a component to scart cable if I can find out if it switches the aspect ratio automatically for anamorphic DVDs but right now I'm still quite confused as to what to do since both a scart and component cable are currently causing signal cut-out's when watching Gladiator (R1). I'm gonna try and find the cause of that first.

Thanks for your assistance!

;)

13. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    zsaddique:

The DVD player I'm using is a Sony 735D. Just did a few tests there and I can tell you that the TV definately does auto-switch to 16:9 on Anamorphic DVD's. I have AV3 set to YUV (Sync on Y) but I still leave the Composite phono from the QED AV2930 plugged in to the DVD's Composite out, even though I'm not using that particular option. However, it does need to be connected in order for the auto-switch to function. I pulled it out and the TV did not auto-switch to 16:9. Putting it back in again re-activated 16:9.

Hope this helps. :)

14. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's EXACTLY what I thought!! The Loewe detects the aspect ratio via the composite lead... perhaps I will get this cable after all! :)

15. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh DVD player which has component out via phonos. I am expecting my new Loewe Vitros soon and am trying to work out whether going for component is actually worth it. With my current Tosh ZP18 TV (being exchanged for the Loewe) I simply connect via a 3RCA-3RCA cable and this frees up all of my SCARTs on my TV (still only get 1 RGB though!).

With the new Loewe I will lose 1 RGB-capable SCART even if I use component in (but this still leaves me with 1 RGB-capable SCART anyway so no worse off than before). Is there really any benefit then to go for component connection on the Loewe? I will basically have to buy an expensive cable and lose the ability to auto-detect the DVD, and for this I would like some noticeable improvement in the PQ (I can see no diff between RGB and YUV on my existing Tosh and I'm using an IXOS 171AV cable versus an Acoustic Research fully connected SCART from Argos!).

Just out of curiosity would it be possible to rig up the component connection so that I connect a 3 (or 6) RCA to SCART cable between the DVD and Loewe TV, but also add the following connections (made by myself):

Noddy SCART connector plugged into DVD player with just 2 wires (plus grounds?) soldered to pin 8 and 16 that are then connected into the same pins on the other SCART (from the proper video cable). Would this give me auto-switching and 16:9 detection (do I really need pin 16 at all since this just chooses RGB or Composite so probably not applicable here)?

(This assumes the DVD still has these pins active even though I have the component output selected). Just an idea. Auto-detection is nice!

16. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    IS it really that much hassle to hit "0" on the remote and select "AV3"? Personally, I love the way the Loewe allows you to deactivate switching voltage completely as this is what I do. I prefer to select the manual input of the source I want to watch because sometimes problems can arise if 3 pieces of equipement are all switched on at once. For example, if I'm watching Sky and then turn on the VCR, it tries to override the Sky signal. I therefore leave all switching voltage options off and select what I want when I want. :)

17. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy, if I understood Jason's post correctly, the frustration would mainly come from having to manually switch the picture to 16:9 rather than changing to AV3. :rolleyes:

At least, that was my main frustration when I was watching DVD's via a component signal.

IMHO, unless you've got a top player (like Lowrider has!), then I don't think it is worth the hassle of making/purchasing a component+sync to scart cable as a decent RGB gives just as good picture quality for far less cost.

Just my opinion of course, but I think I'm correct! ;)