1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Articos 55 DLP Opinion

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Agisthos, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I first time i saw it i thought it was terrible dissapointing, the picture did not seem good at all,it was blurry and pixelated just like most plasma's (i am an aconda owner - quality over quantity)
    I was a bit miffed as I had been hearing about this dlp based tv coming since 2002.

then a few weeks later i was at the same demo room and they were playing a high def feed through it and i was stunned. absolutely the best picture i have ever seen. Such clean detail without a smear or pixel to be seen, just lifelike. It looked like a very good/detailed crt but in RPTV size

This got me thinking that this tv may be very source dependant. There is also the fact that prehaps this tv just works so well with high def stuff but put in a normal dvd and it will look average?

I just dont know.

It can take a DVi input. My dealer said he can hook up a Denon dvi output dvd player to it. I think this will be the reaL acid test as i watch almost all dvd's or SD digital, not HD.

Also there is the fact that the HDMI standard is almost apon us and this tv does not support it, yet

Here in Adelaide, Australia this tv cost $9999 AUD. What about your neck of the woods?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you are in the market for a olarge screen why not buy a projector???
    Also consider Sim2 RTX, Grand view DLP RPTV sets HD really does make most things look good So DVD/TV performance is the ACID TEST unless you do just watch HD demo clips!

3. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    projectors are just too impractical, have to have a dark room e.t.c

yes i dont want to just watch hd demo clips, it can be misleading

4. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Agisthos,

Source is very important to this TV to get the best out of it. I did a direct A/B comparison of my own (high end but now 3 year old non-progressive scan) DVD player with a new high end Prog Scan one - same DVD, same scene etc. and saw marked improvement with the prog scan one. I also saw standard feed via the (optional) built in satellite tuner and that was certainly very acceptable. Note though that at least in Germany the satellite tuner is not HD compatible - if you are in Aus where (I believe) HD broadcasts are standard then you may prefer an external Sat receiver.

Re price: Here in Germany you can get the version without hard drive for €5,500. The harddrive chassis costs €1,000 more (and can NOT be retro fitted later). The Cube2 motorised stand costs a whopping €1,700 (more than most CRT TVs!!). The build in Sat receiver costs around €500.

Note: Although really good in its own right, it is running the older HD2 chip from Texas Instruments. Newer TVs on the market (Sagem, Samsung) are using the HD2+ chip which gives much higher contrast. That said, the tech specs can only tell you so much - the whole feel of this TV is real quality and the picture is (or can be) really great. Pity that at least in my area these are all pretty rare beasts in the shops so no chance to see them side by side playing same material!

Re the SIM2 RTX: Also very, very nice: However for equiv size (55") you pay over twice as much here, and (as far as I know) this is a pure projector. There are no speakers in the TV and I am not sure if there is even a TV tuner built in (don't quote me on that as not sure).

Pipcat

5. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they are built in Germany and yet they are rare to find over there? it must be that they are so new that only small quantities are going out into the market for now.

From what I saw the other day this tv is worth its asking price especially when compared to 8-9k plasma's

didnt i see it mentioned that the HD3 chip is coming soon? I would really want to wait for the newer model.

I never would have even considered a rptv 2 years ago but these DLP ones are coming along in leaps and bounds

6. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,
    i saw it the week it came into harrods and i too was disappointed!
    seeing as they have recently droped the price of it says alot!

7. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The original RTX does not have either speakers or tuner as you say. However, there is a new model that has both, but is more limited in its connectivity. There are also the Domino DLP TVs that have both tuner and speakers, and are comparable in price to the Loewe.

8. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mo,

I wouldn't read too much into Harrod's demonstrations, they get nowhere near the full potential from the screens. I saw the Sim2 RTX there and at a good AV dealer; huge difference.

Paul