Loewe announce OLED TV - bild 7.

When you go into the BBC iPlayer on your TV does it say in the top left hand corner of the app that it is a Beta version? When I go into the settings for the iPlayer app on my E6 I get the option to "Try new features in iPlayer BETA". Unless you select this I don't think you will be able to get UHD HLG access. You would probably have seen the above anyway when accessing iPlayer app but I thought I would mention it.
The loewe isn't on the compatible list on the BBC website, so I don't think they've got access to the beta

I've downloaded that test file - thanks @google and reached out to Loewe to see what they say. Unless that test channel is available via Sky, then I won't have access to it, unfortunately.

@RayP - you fancy downloading and trying as well.

Downloading now. No reply from Loewe UK yet.

IMG_0882[1].JPG
Downloading now. No reply from Loewe UK yet.

The sets are HLG ready - just confirmed by playing that clip - see screenshot. I was aware that the sets weren't included on the compatible list - but had hoped that with SkyQ being compatible - I could have played via that route - sadly not.

View attachment 952761

The sets are HLG ready - just confirmed by playing that clip - see screenshot. I was aware that the sets weren't included on the compatible list - but had hoped that with SkyQ being compatible - I could have played via that route - sadly not.
Good that they're hlg compatible, you just need loewe to get onto the BBC then to get the tv made compatible, and yeah regarding sky it's only in uhd rec709, where as the BBC iPlayer version is uhd hlg hdr with rec2020

Good that they're hlg compatible, you just need loewe to get onto the BBC then to get the tv made compatible, and yeah regarding sky it's only in uhd rec709, where as the BBC iPlayer version is uhd hlg hdr with rec2020

What's confusing is that SkyQ is on that list - surely to be compatible and be on that list it should be UHD/HLG capable - not just UHD - I can get that through the Loewe and it hasn't made the list - yet SkyQ has :confused:o_O.

What's confusing is that SkyQ is on that list - surely to be compatible and be on that list it should be UHD/HLG capable - not just UHD - I can get that through the Loewe and it hasn't made the list - yet SkyQ has :confused:o_O.
Sky is on the list and just showing uhd though, I think the Panasonic dx902 owners are struggling even though their tv is on the compatible list

Sky is on the list and just showing uhd though, I think the Panasonic dx902 owners are struggling even though their tv is on the compatible list

it's all very confusing though - I have assumed and perhaps wrongly that that whole page is dedicated to UHD/HLG playback and compatibility - not UHD and/or HLG, therefore the fact that the SkyQ platform is compatible - by going through the iPlayer (on catch-up tv) - that a set that is HLG ready would/should/could playback the HLG version - clearly that's not the case.

Not a huge issue (for me) I've been watching from my portable E655" in the bedroom and it's quite stunning - in bits.

it's all very confusing though - I have assumed and perhaps wrongly that that whole page is dedicated to UHD/HLG playback and compatibility - not UHD and/or HLG, therefore the fact that the SkyQ platform is compatible - by going through the iPlayer (on catch-up tv) - that a set that is HLG ready would/should/could playback the HLG version - clearly that's not the case.

Not a huge issue (for me) I've been watching from my portable E655" in the bedroom and it's quite stunning - in bits.
It would be interesting to know whether or not it is a limitation of the Sky Q box or that Sky have chosen not to show the HLG version so that they don't promote something that isn't their production. I suppose it would also leave Sky Q customers thinking that HLG HDR is something that Sky Q can do so why can't we have more of it now. It would also perhaps scupper their plans to introduce HDR has a new feature that they can increase subscriptions for.

I suppose the other thing to note is that the BBC want to promote their new baby and is a great advert for the iPlayer. They wouldn't want Sky to take all the kudos.

I'm watching the TravelXP demo and I'm very confused. The picture has a distinct lack of contrast. So much so it's duller than standard Freeview / Sky broadcasts.

But HDR is confirmed in the Oppo Info box and also on the Loewe.

Found the reason. The Loewe is in Personal Mode. If I select HLG Premium it's much more dynamic (bit too much). HLG Dark is less dynamic but brighter than Personal Model. HLG Bright looks to be the best of them.

Did you chaps change your Picture Adjustment mode?

I'm watching the TravelXP demo and I'm very confused. The picture has a distinct lack of contrast. So much so it's duller than standard Freeview / Sky broadcasts.

But HDR is confirmed in the Oppo Info box and also on the Loewe.

Found the reason. The Loewe is in Personal Mode. If I select HLG Premium it's much more dynamic (bit too much). HLG Dark is less dynamic but brighter than Personal Model. HLG Bright looks to be the best of them.

Did you chaps change your Picture Adjustment mode?

What from Steve's calibrated settings - not a chance :eek:.

Bear in mind it's not HDR that shows on the info bar - but HLG. Is there a reason you're playing through the Oppo - I'm playing directly from the USB in the set.

Tried it through 'infuse' on the AppleTV4K and it had that washed out look - because the app didn't support HLG - does the Oppo?

What from Steve's calibrated settings - not a chance :eek:.

Bear in mind it's not HDR that shows on the info bar - but HLG. Is there a reason you're playing through the Oppo - I'm playing directly from the USB in the set.

Tried it through 'infuse' on the AppleTV4K and it had that washed out look - because the app didn't support HLG - does the Oppo?

You don't lose the calibration of Personal Mode by choosing one of the HLG modes. And I did say HLG, not HDR. ;)

I tried both Oppo and then USB but when the picture was still dull on the USB option I remembered about the picture options. Surely you have to select one from those available on the Loewe or it stays in Personal Mode.

Yes, Oppo supports HLG. The info display showed it.

You don't lose the calibration of Personal Mode by choosing one of the HLG modes. And I did say HLG, not HDR. ;)

I tried both Oppo and then USB but when the picture was still dull on the USB option I remembered about the picture options. Surely you have to select one from those available on the Loewe or it stays in Personal Mode.

Yes, Oppo supports HLG. The info display showed it.

Firstly you might want to re-check what you posted - you commented that "HDR is confirmed in the Oppo Info box and also on the Loewe". it was this I commented on :smashin:.

I didn't move from Steve's calibrated settings - because I had and never have a need to - he calibrated for SDR and HDR - which switches based on the content. Surprised if he didn't set yours up the same?

Firstly you might want to re-check what you posted - you commented that "HDR is confirmed in the Oppo Info box and also on the Loewe". it was this I commented on :smashin:.

I didn't move from Steve's calibrated settings - because I had and never have a need to - he calibrated for SDR and HDR - which switches based on the content. Surprised if he didn't set yours up the same?

Yep, sorry, my mistake. I do have a mode set for SDR on the Oppo and another for HDR. Just a cut in Contrast for the HDR mode (from memory). I'll play things again and double-check.

Just had this reply from Loewe (UK)...

Our iPlayer certification covered chassis SL3xx and SL4xx. Only SL4xx will be able to be certified for iPlayer UHD and HLG and therefore the certification does not cover 4K and that is the reason we are not on the approved list. We are at present effectively renewing the certification on SL4xx by applying for Freeview Player certification. We expect this the first quarter next year.

So not in time for the Blue Planet II demo. But at least it's in hand.

Doesn’t look like it does. The display showed HDR rather than HLG shown on the Loewe.

Yep, sorry, my mistake. I do have a mode set for SDR on the Oppo and another for HDR. Just a cut in Contrast for the HDR mode (from memory). I'll play things again and double-check.

Just had this reply from Loewe (UK)...

Our iPlayer certification covered chassis SL3xx and SL4xx. Only SL4xx will be able to be certified for iPlayer UHD and HLG and therefore the certification does not cover 4K and that is the reason we are not on the approved list. We are at present effectively renewing the certification on SL4xx by applying for Freeview Player certification. We expect this the first quarter next year.

So not in time for the Blue Planet II demo. But at least it's in hand.

Yeah just had the same reply.

If you received your set recently there is a HLG demo on the DR+ drive.

My set (the 5th one if you recall!) is around 3 months old.

IMG_2979.JPG
IMG_6295.JPG

Some may remember that I have been having start up issues for a long time. Once or twice a week the TV has failed to come out of sleep meaning a switch off or series of switching off/on - hard reset - was the only way to bring the display back to life. Recently this has become more frequent and now too much of a pain to manage so I have contacted my dealer to resolve. Yes I know I should have done it long before now.

Sam @Loewe UK has also been in contact by email so I'll let you know how I get on. My dealer has advised that I can expect a very high level of CS. I hope they are right.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that @A.I. Hope it doesn’t need swapping out. Out of interest do you have Quick Start enabled?

Sorry to hear that @A.I. Hope it doesn’t need swapping out. Out of interest do you have Quick Start enabled?

Thanks Ray. Yes - until today and now deactivated. I only set QS well after the problem first appeared. We'll see if the change makes any difference but I doubt it TBH.

I tried it on a couple of occasions but as I listen to radio via my Sky Q box and Yamaha amp I turned off QS because it interfered with radio sound. Those flamin’ HDMI connections.

The lockups should not occur whatever that setting of course.

Turned TV on at lunchtime and had the prompt to update the firmware. Now running 4.3.66.0. Can’t see any obvious additions.

Yeah became available last week - only obvious one was the 'fix' for Dolby Vision via AppleTV 4K. Nothing else of note - that I could see.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom